Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-07-2013, 05:25 PM

Default Train Derailment, Explosion and Fire Quebec

Quote from Our Fearless Leader:

Quebec town looks like ‘war zone’ after train explosions: Harper

Mr. Harper said he did not yet have all the facts about the disaster, but the information he’s seen “is very, very concerning.”

He looks more like he is on a political campaign then in the
War Zone.

He wore his stupid Commander in Chief Jacket in the High River War Zone. I guess he is not C in C in Quebec - just another politician.

But this quote tops it all, apparently the train was driver less:

“The things that I have heard are very worrisome. It is hard to imagine that we could have such an accident. We have regulations to prevent these kinds of things. But there will be investigations that will determine who is guilty, who is responsible.”

That a boy, Steve - at this rate you are gonna lose some weight this summer attending disasters and gorging on MREs instead of campaigning on the Bar B Q circuit.

Full article Globe and Mail:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle13054346/

Unlike the Commander in Chief Stevo, my sympathies go out to the families of the dead and missing in this disaster - 6 are already confirmed dead and there may be as high as 40 missing.

I am sorry to say this tool is still the best of a bad lot!

Jim
Old 07-07-2013, 05:47 PM

You sound very much like a politician too Jim.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:54 PM

Sorry Jim.. with all due respect, I don't see why the slam on the PM was warranted.

Horrible, horrible situation there.

NRA/NFA Supporter and "...gun toting tea party psychotard..." -
Old 07-07-2013, 05:56 PM

Default Harper's job

Don't know what the flack is!
You want the man to sit in his ivory tower and start planning the next election already, or do you want the people pulling the strings to actually see what is happening at ground level? Obviously he cant win with your type. Not sure where you are going with this thread? To bring to our attention another national disaster, or just start politician bashing?
Old 07-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Banned

What a bad way to start a thread about this disaster. 40+ dead and OP makes it political. He might get a ban
Old 07-07-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post
Quote from Our Fearless Leader:

Quebec town looks like ‘war zone’ after train explosions: Harper

Mr. Harper said he did not yet have all the facts about the disaster, but the information he’s seen “is very, very concerning.”

He looks more like he is on a political campaign then in the
War Zone.

He wore his stupid Commander in Chief Jacket in the High River War Zone. I guess he is not C in C in Quebec - just another politician.

But this quote tops it all, apparently the train was driver less:

“The things that I have heard are very worrisome. It is hard to imagine that we could have such an accident. We have regulations to prevent these kinds of things. But there will be investigations that will determine who is guilty, who is responsible.”

That a boy, Steve - at this rate you are gonna lose some weight this summer attending disasters and gorging on MREs instead of campaigning on the Bar B Q circuit.

Full article Globe and Mail:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle13054346/

Unlike the Commander in Chief Stevo, my sympathies go out to the families of the dead and missing in this disaster - 6 are already confirmed dead and there may be as high as 40 missing.

I am sorry to say this tool is still the best of a bad lot!

Jim
What a maroon.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_hate_snow View Post
What a bad way to start a thread about this disaster. 40+ dead and OP makes it political. He might get a ban
Well, according to the Globe and Mail article - Old Stevo did not express any sympathy for the dead an missing - at least I did in my original post.

The Eastern media certainly does not report on Harps very favorably - no surprise there - on the other hand they sure like to report on Trudeau favorably when he comes Alberta.

Justin Trudeau crashes Redfords Stampede Breakfast today - I gotta stop reading the Globe and Mail - this picture hurts the eyes.

Trudeau is pretty friendly with this guy too.

He should get his scrawny arse back to Quebec and let the old Harp Dog have some Stampede fun.
Jim
Old 07-07-2013, 07:59 PM

Justin go back home where your roots are. Train wreck looks bad, with no Engineer on board??
Old 07-07-2013, 08:26 PM

Classy thread from a classy guy.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:49 PM

It's looking like the brakes were tampered with after the engineer left. Eco nuts? Terrorism? Or just plain old stupid vandalism gone wrong?

Marshall McLuhan
Old 07-07-2013, 08:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It's looking like the brakes were tampered with after the engineer left. Eco nuts? Terrorism? Or just plain old stupid vandalism gone wrong?
There was a fire. I haven't read anywhere that they suspect vandalism
Old 07-07-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Well, according to the Globe and Mail article - Old Stevo did not express any sympathy for the dead an missing - at least I did in my original post.
Because they did not elect to print a sympathetic quote from the PM does not imply a lack of sympathy. Unless you want to read between the lines and make something out of nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_hate_snow View Post
There was a fire. I haven't read anywhere that they suspect vandalism
I think what he's getting at is if brakes were properly applied (as the company claims they were), the fact that the cars ran away is very odd. It should not be difficult for them to determine if the brakes were still on or not, unless the braked cars were totally damaged. It doesn't take much grade at all to get unbraked cars rolling, but by the same token it doesn't take much to hold 60 loads on minimal grade either. And I'm assuming the spot they were parked on was of minimal grade and the rail company had parked on this spot before.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:14 PM
Banned

Quote:

The Eastern media certainly does not report on Harps very favorably - no surprise there - on the other hand they sure like to report on Trudeau favorably when he comes Alberta.

Justin Trudeau crashes Redfords Stampede Breakfast today - I gotta stop reading the Globe and Mail - this picture hurts the eyes.

Trudeau is pretty friendly with this guy too.

He should get his scrawny arse back to Quebec and let the old Harp Dog have some Stampede fun.
Jim
okay last time I checked, both these guys had two hands each two are missing from each on this picture and the SMILES are awesome!! What's up??
Old 07-07-2013, 09:17 PM
Gone Hunting

Those 2 pics tell you everything you need to know about politics in Alberta these days.....conquer from within.....
Old 07-07-2013, 09:21 PM

So about 97% of this thread has nothing to do with the thread title.

It would be nice if you closed the thread, restart it and stick to the subject line you originally posted.

Thanks.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 07-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
those 2 pics tell you everything you need to know about politics in alberta these days.....conquer from within.....
Old 07-07-2013, 09:33 PM

For every 10 rail cars you need a minimum of 2 hand breaks applied. If the engines were still hooked up with air then a full brake would be applied with air and the proper amount of hand breaks as well. So if air was bleed off then the brakes would still be applied. If some one was to disconnect an air line without following the proper steps then it would set the whole air brake system to go off on emergency brakes which would lock up the whole train. But if you have knowledge of trains you can get around this.

Lots of things can happen in this situation.

Gordon
Old 07-07-2013, 09:42 PM
Banned

he should have jammed an old 4x4 post behind the wheels. works every time.

Maybe he was just used to driving an automatic.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbuss View Post
For every 10 rail cars you need a minimum of 2 hand breaks applied. If the engines were still hooked up with air then a full brake would be applied with air and the proper amount of hand breaks as well. So if air was bleed off then the brakes would still be applied. If some one was to disconnect an air line without following the proper steps then it would set the whole air brake system to go off on emergency brakes which would lock up the whole train. But if you have knowledge of trains you can get around this.

Lots of things can happen in this situation.

Gordon

Ya that makes me wonder, you would have to pop the hand brakes and bleed the brake pots on the cars to get them to move after they have been parked.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantonsen View Post
Ya that makes me wonder, you would have to pop the hand brakes and bleed the brake pots on the cars to get them to move after they have been parked.
Also if the engines were still running and the cab was locked they would have no way to take the full brake off the entire train.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbuss View Post
Also if the engines were still running and the cab was locked they would have no way to take the full brake off the entire train.
Actually it is possible to have all the brakes release on a train without going inside the engines. For obvious reasons I won't post that on here.

Also, depending on the tonnage and the grade that the train was sitting on, if the train brakes released, the engine brakes may not be enough to hold the train stationary. Once the train started rolling, the engine brakes would become less effective as the speed increased.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 07-07-2013, 11:14 PM
Banned

The company says the locomotive was shut off when the crew left it.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:30 PM

A terrible disaster, so sorry for the loss of life. Sorry but politicizing this incident is useless when compared to the lives lost.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:38 PM
Banned

Seems like its our (Canada's ) year for disasters...
Lets just hope this is the end of a bad run.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:45 AM

Default Trains versus piplines

It hasn't been mentioned yet here but what I take from this post is that, running a train full of oil on tracks that run through towns is not safe at all. IMO this makes the case for a pipeline to the west coast.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:09 AM
Banned

I have worked around trains quit lot and you would have to dump the air on every car and wind off the park brakes.No way that happens by itself.
As well,is crude oil really that explosive?Those cars went off like they were filled with gasoline.I know they were carrying crude for the refinery so hmmm......Something fishy here.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:14 AM

We've heard from the enviro orgs already. Has this disaster made them rethink pipelines? Nope. They want both pipelines and train transport halted. No update yet on how they plan to fuel their cars, planes, and homes.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
We've heard from the enviro orgs already. Has this disaster made them rethink pipelines? Nope. They want both pipelines and train transport halted. No update yet on how they plan to fuel their cars, planes, and homes.
Panda bear pancreas and baby seal oil! lol
Old 07-08-2013, 12:22 PM
Banned

Could this incident have been avoided?

The argument that we need to tolerate insufficient protocols, maintenance and safety inspections because we are end users is absurd.

For the same reason insurance companies no longer refer to collisions as "accidents" we need greater accountability in hazmat transport. Petroleum or not.

How is it we had a bridge collapse in town?
Fact is, they never checked the piling because the river flow was too high.

We need to give our collective heads a shake.

These incidents are avoidable.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Could this incident have been avoided?

The argument that we need to tolerate insufficient protocols, maintenance and safety inspections because we are end users is absurd.

For the same reason insurance companies no longer refer to collisions as "accidents" we need greater accountability in hazmat transport. Petroleum or not.

How is it we had a bridge collapse in town?
Fact is, they never checked the piling because the river flow was too high.

We need to give our collective heads a shake.

These incidents are avoidable.
Hey,don`t look at "US"what are we supposed to do about it?Check train cars,inspect bridges and tracks?My head does not need any extra shaking,I have all ready jarred too much loose just by life it`s ownself.