Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2019, 08:58 AM

Exclamation Welding- has anyone tried ESAB?

I picked up a Emp215ic yesterday, just couldnt go any longer without a welder anymore. The reviews look real good, amazing power out of a little mp unit. It came with a stick, mig and tig guns, but I still have to get a spool gun.
Hoping for some real world reviews and experience.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-23-2019, 09:41 AM

Hi,

I don't have a real world review for you but I have been also looking at the same Rebel series Welder from ESAB. Seems like the perfect all in one unit for guys like me who have bunch of different projects.

I can tell you a friend of mine works at fabricating shop and they have great things to say about ESAB.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:16 AM

Thanks Rusty
I broke it out of the box this morning and checked it out pretty awesome functions on this little machine and the power far exceeds my expectations.

I bought a spool gun yesterday for my new-to-me Lincoln 305g as well, hoping to get it back from Rupert soon. I have work to do and sure could use it. I just have a real problem driving all the way to Rupert and not going fishing!

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 02-23-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:41 PM

I have an esab 450cvcc. It's a huge transformer unit. I really like it as it'll spray self shield flux core. That is something cool to see.

450 amps with 100% duty cycle.

If you're going to do that though, file out your tips a few thou...
Old 02-23-2019, 02:55 PM

I have lots of experience with ESAB, what exactly are you looking to find out? My shop has about 20 ESABS, 30 Lincolns (mostly inverters), and just started trying out 2 new Miller inverters. If you have a specific question, I might be able to help. We run everything hard. Just picked up a new 650amp lincoln, it runs at 600amps for about 25 minutes non-stop. Bring your sunscreen!
ESABS are depositing 100- 150" of weld (not wire feed speed) per minute, probably 10 hours per day. They have their issues, but every brand we have does as well, when worked that hard.

Last edited by bloopbloob; 02-23-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
I have lots of experience with ESAB, what exactly are you looking to find out? My shop has about 20 ESABS, 30 Lincolns (mostly inverters), and just started trying out 2 new Miller inverters. If you have a specific question, I might be able to help. We run everything hard. Just picked up a new 650amp lincoln, it runs at 600amps for about 25 minutes non-stop. Bring your sunscreen!
ESABS are depositing 100- 150" of weld (not wire feed speed) per minute, probably 10 hours per day. They have their issues, but every brand we have does as well, when worked that hard.
What size and type of wire are you running??
Old 02-23-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Thanks Rusty
I broke it out of the box this morning and checked it out pretty awesome functions on this little machine and the power far exceeds my expectations.

I bought a spool gun yesterday for my new-to-me Lincoln 305g as well, hoping to get it back from Rupert soon. I have work to do and sure could use it. I just have a real problem driving all the way to Rupert and not going fishing!
I just had a chance to look up your particular model. I assume it is 230V? If so, I still find it underpowered. Small duty cycle, even with moderate amps. Maxes out at 26V with wire, so likely not achieving spray-transfer (which is the cats meow) , so it's restricted to short circuit and globular (messy). But I am also used to industrial 480/600 input, 400A+ @100 duty cycle. It does have some neat features I will have to look into though out of curiousity. Looks like a nice hobby welder for little jobs though.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
What size and type of wire are you running??
Lincoln L-56, an ER70S-6 on most machines 0.035" or 0.045"
Couple machines run 0.052" or 0.062" metal core
Old 02-23-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
I just had a chance to look up your particular model. I assume it is 230V? If so, I still find it underpowered. Small duty cycle, even with moderate amps. Maxes out at 26V with wire, so likely not achieving spray-transfer (which is the cats meow) , so it's restricted to short circuit and globular (messy). But I am also used to industrial 480/600 input, 400A+ @100 duty cycle. It does have some neat features I will have to look into though out of curiousity. Looks like a nice hobby welder for little jobs though.
I have some aluminum tig welding to do, which is the reason I bought this one. I rarely have to do anything heavy but the 305g will handle that.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I have some aluminum tig welding to do, which is the reason I bought this one. I rarely have to do anything heavy but the 305g will handle that.
Not meant to be offensive...
If you're looking to do aluminum TIG, why on earth would you be looking for a spool gun? Spool guns have made me swear more than anything, ever. I was told to just make due once, before the end of the week, my $12,000 water cooled TIG machine was on it's way. Very few circumstances I've found where a spool gun can outperform TIG. Sounds counter-intuitive, but aluminum spool guns GENERALLY are not efficient compared to TIG.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:28 PM

From what I hear, mig welding aluminum has a fairly high chance of cracking later.

If I had to do any, it would be AC tig only.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
From what I hear, mig welding aluminum has a fairly high chance of cracking later.

If I had to do any, it would be AC tig only.
Agree. High frequency AC machines with water cooled torch. Any other methods are prone to cracking.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Not meant to be offensive...
If you're looking to do aluminum TIG, why on earth would you be looking for a spool gun? Spool guns have made me swear more than anything, ever. I was told to just make due once, before the end of the week, my $12,000 water cooled TIG machine was on it's way. Very few circumstances I've found where a spool gun can outperform TIG. Sounds counter-intuitive, but aluminum spool guns GENERALLY are not efficient compared to TIG.
Oh please do not think that, I am looking for info, I see nothing offensive.
ESAB is a 220v but comes with a 110 adapter, auto senses current and adjusts accordingly. Like I said, some very cool tech.

Not being a welder by trade, I very likely do not do many things the exact right way. When I am welding aluminum quite often I use the MIG to tack things together first. I get everything set in place, then TIG to finish. Not having a shop means not having jigs for every project, and I have yet to find the special non-ferrous rare meteor magnets that stick aluminum together. Having 3 hands would be of great benefit.

Most of what I TIG welded was tanks, this one held water in the 2 side tanks for pressure washing MX bikes at race tracks, there was a separate diesel tank that went under the notches, and the cross tank in the bank held gas for the bikes. This was the very first thing I ever TIG welded. I learned to TIG with checkerplate aluminum. I have never tried TIG on steel. I am going to miss the big break for sure.

I am going to build a rack that goes on the hard top of my boat to carry crab and prawn traps, not sure if I am using square or round aluminum, whatever I have I guess. Maybe a combination of both.
I built a huge welding table, then drilled and tapped holes in it so I could tie down items to weld which works very slick. On the back side I put a big removable plasma cutting tray filled with water to do cutting. Again there may be better ways, but when I had my hobby fab shop I was learning MIG, TIG, cnc, plasma, lathe, mill, turret punch, 10' 125t break and industrial sewing machine

Learning this ESAB TIG is going to be interesting, I am used to foot control. But, I like a challenge, and do appreciate the information. Please keep it coming. I never did structural TIG welding like on frames, other than bunk guides. I did use the MIG for them.

Forgot to say- I spent a LOT of time on the Miller MIG with aluminum, on a few pieces I had it so dialed in the welds looked like they were TIG welded. I want to get back to that again. Miller was a 210, Lincoln TIG was a 255.

(not so) funny story. The tank shown above took me about 13 hours to TIG. After watching someone who really knew what they were doing, basically being in the same helmet as him, my head on his shoulder learning I caught on quick and went to work.
Stupid thing was, I noticed the next day my arms were RED and burnt all to hell. Forgot to put on heavy sleeves lol! Never again.

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 02-24-2019 at 10:02 AM.