Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2019, 09:50 PM

Nice win.... but.... does beating a bottom team by 1 goal with 2 minutes left raise the question whether something needs to done at the trade deadline?

Everyone knows I am not a Flames fan but I would like to see any Canadian team do well in the playoffs.

I only saw the last period, but what do you fans want to see your GM do prior to Monday?
Old 02-22-2019, 10:06 PM

The Ducks were also missing arguably there two best players.

I can see Brad going after Zuccarello or something, likely not Stone, as sweet as that would be.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Nice win.... but.... does beating a bottom team by 1 goal with 2 minutes left raise the question whether something needs to done at the trade deadline?

Everyone knows I am not a Flames fan but I would like to see any Canadian team do well in the playoffs.

I only saw the last period, but what do you fans want to see your GM do prior to Monday?

Any time the Flames beat the Ducks, the Universe is coming back into alignment. The fact that it was a one goal game isn't cause for panic, unless the Ducks beat them by one....every team seems to have their nemesis, kryptonite, whatever you call it. Flames have endured a decade of abuse at the hands of the Ducks, and now they are winning. Good enough. Excellent in fact.

As for a player to add before the deadline...Stone is just too pricey and dammit!! Neal was supposed to be that guy and they already paid for him! He needs to do the job.

Zuc would be cool though, drop him in on the second line and push Frolik back to the third. If it makes sense. And maybe a D man with some grey in his beard for a one year deal?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-22-2019, 10:10 PM

Default Flames

Zuc
And
Radco Gudas
I think Stone will be too expensive
Old 02-22-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
Zuc
And
Radco Gudas
I think Stone will be too expensive

That would be a good move, agree.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-22-2019, 10:28 PM

Default Flames

The bigger problem might be who from this flames Line up would we be comfortable to trade. They all look pretty good right now.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:55 PM

The nice thing the Flames got going is .... win or lose this year you don't need to dump a lot of players in the off season. Also I don't think Calgary needs a whole help on defense since Andersson has worked out so well. And if Stone ever comes back I think the d core might be as good as Nashville.

I think you guys need 2, Wilson, Sissons, Backes, Brown, Krieder etc type player that can fore check and bang bodies. Who else other than Bennett is really filling that role right now. Hathaway maybe, but a western finals or cup contender has Hathaway sitting in the press box. It won't cost as much and I think will fill a much needed role.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post

I think if anything, it shows that the chemistry is in the room and that is not some thing to be trifled with.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:27 PM

Missed the game, as went to see a Jr B playoff game instead. Sounds like an exciting finish. Will need to watch the highlights.
I'm in the Stone would be nice but to costly camp. I don't want to see us loose the 1st round pick, but got to give to get. Toughness would be nice specially if able to put up points like an Evander Kane type player.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:31 PM
Banned

Unfortunately I was working tonight and was only able to catch the last bit of the radio show. The announcers are all over getting Stone. They are convinced that giving up the following would be ok

1st round this year
1st round next year (Conditional to Stone resigning with Calgary)

2 decent prospects

Thoughts???

It seems so steep but really would hurt? We are going to be picking so late in 1st round it will not matter. And Stone is a game changer for our team. Guys like this do not come along all that often.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Unfortunately I was working tonight and was only able to catch the last bit of the radio show. The announcers are all over getting Stone. They are convinced that giving up the following would be ok

1st round this year
1st round next year (Conditional to Stone resigning with Calgary)

2 decent prospects

Thoughts???

It seems so steep but really would hurt? We are going to be picking so late in 1st round it will not matter. And Stone is a game changer for our team. Guys like this do not come along all that often.
I can't see Calgary resigning Stone and Thchuck along with six others guys, including a starting goalie, for the cap space they have though. Maybe if Stone, Neil, or Frolick somehow disappear?
Old 02-23-2019, 12:42 PM

Not really Flames related, but I'd sure like to know whats going on in Columbus. You've gotta think that Panarin is on the move. If not, worst case scenario, they aren't currently in a playoff spot and they don't make the playoffs, Duchene, Panarin, and Bob all walk on 1st July, for the Duchene trade, Columbus ships out two prospects, a first, and a second. An alternative situation is they do make the playoffs and get swept by Tampa in the first round. This could do lasting damage to a franchise and Kekäläinen wouldn't risk it, would he?

I suspect that they feel Duchene is a reasonable replacement for Panarin, so they'll ship Panarin out in an attempt to recapture what they just spent on Duchene, then try to resign Duchene cause it sounds like that wasn't going to happen with Panarin.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:46 PM

Duchene has a bad rep, deserved or not, but if Panarin won't re-sign, GM's hands are tied. Bad spot because there's only a few teams that have the need/assets to make a good deal for CBJ

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 02-23-2019, 06:22 PM

Sharks and Predators both got smoked!
Old 02-23-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Sharks and Predators both got smoked!
I saw it, and I

Old 02-24-2019, 11:29 AM
Banned

This right here is worth watching this game.
Could you imagine if both of these guys are on the ice at the same time? https://calgaryherald.com/sports/hoc...2-1ed28fa76a6c

So much looking forward to watching this. They both seem to play the same game but I do not know the relationship between them. I know what would happen if I was playing my brother but every set of brothers are different.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
This right here is worth watching this game.

Could you imagine if both of these guys are on the ice at the same time? https://calgaryherald.com/sports/hoc...2-1ed28fa76a6c

So much looking forward to watching this. They both seem to play the same game but I do not know the relationship between them. I know what would happen if I was playing my brother but every set of brothers are different.
Hometown hockey is in Okotoks today and they are playing this game on the big screens at town square. Trying to decide if I should brave the cold and go watch there or recliner in warm basement.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2019, 12:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
Hometown hockey is in Okotoks today and they are playing this game on the big screens at town square. Trying to decide if I should brave the cold and go watch there or recliner in warm basement.

On the radio YESTERDAY, they said Sunday was cancelled due to the weather.
Have you heard different?
Old 02-24-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
On the radio YESTERDAY, they said Sunday was cancelled due to the weather.

Have you heard different?
I heard that as well and asked yesterday and they looked at me like I was crazy. Which is normal. Said it was a go and I haven't heard different. I'm just at Bisons game and headed there next.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:08 PM

Think watching game outside with crowd will be an experience.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:12 PM

Default Flames

Hoping to watch on TV tonight. Should be a good game with all the Hype. Anybody think Stone might actually catch a ride home with the boys?
Old 02-24-2019, 02:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
Hoping to watch on TV tonight. Should be a good game with all the Hype. Anybody think Stone might actually catch a ride home with the boys?
Very hopeful he is in our colours tonight... Just grab his gear and walk down the hallway!

MT is starting... I wonder if the Sen will do the same?
Old 02-24-2019, 02:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
I heard that as well and asked yesterday and they looked at me like I was crazy. Which is normal. Said it was a go and I haven't heard different. I'm just at Bisons game and headed there next.

Well, worse case scenario if it is called off, stop at Lazy L for a drink and watch the game there...

OH wait, I may be dating myself with that one. LOLOLOLOLOL
Old 02-24-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Very hopeful he is in our colours tonight... Just grab his gear and walk down the hallway!
Would be funny practice with Ottawa in the AM dress if Flames gear in the PM.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:49 PM

Default Flames

Quote:

MT is starting... I wonder if the Sen will do the same?
That would sure be nice, if it played out that way. I think Dorion , will hold out until tomorrow though, to try and squeeze out the best deal.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:27 PM
Banned

Has anyone heard any chatter today about Flames trade possibilities?
Old 02-24-2019, 03:46 PM

Stone along with couple other players not playing for precautionary reasons. Hhhmm

Old 02-24-2019, 04:21 PM

"Just one day after acquiring from the New York Rangers, forward Mats Zuccarello is expected to miss four weeks after suffering an upper-body injury in his Dallas Stars debut."

Seeing it happened to another team, I find this hilarious.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
"Just one day after acquiring from the New York Rangers, forward Mats Zuccarello is expected to miss four weeks after suffering an upper-body injury in his Dallas Stars debut."

Seeing it happened to another team, I find this hilarious.
Yeah, that's that a kick in the junk for stars....

Old 02-24-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Has anyone heard any chatter today about Flames trade possibilities?
Just read talk about Stone and heard Ranger scouts are viewing Flames games and Brad was watching the Rangers. What I read regarding Stone was that "The sense is that the asking price is multiple first round picks, one of Juuso Valimaki, Rasmus Andersson, Oliver Kylington, and more". Seems like alot to give. Worth it if they won, not worth it if they don't.

Does Stone's value go up closer to the deadline as teams get more desperate or down as Ottawa doesn't want to walk away with nothing?