Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2019, 07:16 AM

Wow I would not have done that when I was 20
Old 02-22-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxman View Post
When I was 20, I would have tried to climb the dirt hills in the background.

I still listen to 80s music too
Old 02-22-2019, 07:27 AM

SNS, Glad you took one out for a spin, Sorry to hear it didn't work out.

I also believe in test driving a vehicle "how you would use it" if possible. Which is kind of funny, as alot of dealerships won't even let you take the cars on the highways. I usually won't purchase from those.

OTOH, (its been said, but kind of tongue in cheek), Tires make a huge difference. But there's really no way to test drive that.

Honest question, did you play with the different modes?

At any rate, doesn't matter. Happy shopping.. Or are you really shopping?
Old 02-22-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post

I also believe in test driving a vehicle "how you would use it" if possible. Which is kind of funny, as alot of dealerships won't even let you take the cars on the highways. I usually won't purchase from those.

OTOH, (its been said, but kind of tongue in cheek), Tires make a huge difference. But there's really no way to test drive that.

He has sold his truck, and he purchased a replacement yesterday, but I will leave it to him to post about his new purchase. What I will say, is that the test drive on the replacement vehicle, was much less eventful.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post

Thanks, JB. Yes, I was seriously shopping. I played with all the modes. In 8" of snow it was awesome. I put it in X-Mode and it crawled through it like a choo choo train on tracks, but when you are high centred you are high centred. I believe for Subarus, for their target market are an excellent choice. On the very slick roads the traction was incredible. Way better than my F150 even in 4x4.

Obviously, the tight panty crew think I was a bad boy, but as has been said,I signed a waiver taking all financial responsibility for damage incurred, so I was on the hook. Only a fool would drop $36 grand without seeing firsthand if it could handle some soft packed snow, and if the salesman had come with me, I would have wanted to go to the same area, and if he would have wanted a sale, he'd have said yes. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:57 AM

Looks like ford is still convincing people to buy imports.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Looks like ford is still convincing people to buy imports.
2010 F-150 and 2016 F-150. Both nothing but major problems for me. Both sold with less than 65,000 km on them.

I know that many people have great luck with domestic. I never have, so I will never bother trying again in the foreseeable future. That's a helluva lot of depreciation. In 2010, I didn't buy the Tundra because it was more expensive initially. In hindsight, that initial expense would have been the cheapest money I ever spent. Ever. I have no one to blame but myself.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
2010 F-150 and 2016 F-150. Both nothing but major problems for me. Both sold with less than 65,000 km on them.

I know that many people have great luck with domestic. I never have, so I will never bother trying again in the foreseeable future. That's a helluva lot of depreciation. In 2010, I didn't buy the Tundra because it was more expensive initially. In hindsight, that initial expense would have been the cheapest money I ever spent. Ever. I have no one to blame but myself.

The new Ranger already has a recall on it and it's been out for a month, ouch!!!

Just buy a Taco.
Best of both worlds and the reliability, re-sale value, and overall awesome midsize truck will keep you happy and probably do 99% of the stuff you need it for. You should be able to find a doublecab 4x4 for under 40G, maybe even less once you start haggling a bit. Mine was around $37G new.

My '13 Taco is about to hit 140k with zero issues, it's paid for and has honestly done 95% of all the stuff I have asked of it really well.
Would I like a Tundra, heck yeah, but not everyday use and the fuel bill that comes along with it.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks, JB. Yes, I was seriously shopping. I played with all the modes. In 8" of snow it was awesome. I put it in X-Mode and it crawled through it like a choo choo train on tracks, but when you are high centred you are high centred. I believe for Subarus, for their target market are an excellent choice. On the very slick roads the traction was incredible. Way better than my F150 even in 4x4.
Fair enough. Just figured I'd pose the question. Good Luck on your shopping.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:22 AM

2015 F150---and has been put through the paces and then some--been great---had two Tundras before--but between rust and horrible mileage, wasn't in for a third
Old 02-22-2019, 06:26 PM

Thumbs up Subaru toboggan

Look on the bright side: it could have been worse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scubaru.jpg (19.8 KB, 92 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 02-22-2019, 06:47 PM

[QUOTE=tacomama;3935258]The new Ranger already has a recall on it and it's been out for a month, ouch!!!
Just buy a Taco.

what was the recall for
Old 02-22-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
what was the recall for
Faulty transmission interlock.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:56 PM

Pixelshooter nailed it. I will think of this, my next test drive! Thanks for the chuckle!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 02-23-2019, 04:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomama View Post
Just buy a Taco.
Best of both worlds and the reliability, re-sale value, and overall awesome midsize truck will keep you happy and probably do 99% of the stuff you need it for. You should be able to find a doublecab 4x4 for under 40G, maybe even less once you start haggling a bit. Mine was around $37G new.
They had a TRD demo model at the Boat and Sportsman's show in Calgary a few weeks ago and I was excited to check it out but when I got in it I bumped the side of my NECK on the door frame. Sitting in the drivers seat my head was pushed against the headliner, the seat does not adjust down. I think this might have been at least partially because of the sunroof but still.

I'm only 5'9" but have a long upper body and short legs. If I had a more normal ratio between the two I might be like 6'1", so not that tall really. I get it's supposed to be a smaller vehicle but really?
Old 02-23-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
They had a TRD demo model at the Boat and Sportsman's show in Calgary a few weeks ago and I was excited to check it out but when I got in it I bumped the side of my NECK on the door frame. Sitting in the drivers seat my head was pushed against the headliner, the seat does not adjust down. I think this might have been at least partially because of the sunroof but still.

I'm only 5'9" but have a long upper body and short legs. If I had a more normal ratio between the two I might be like 6'1", so not that tall really. I get it's supposed to be a smaller vehicle but really?
The sunroof reduces the headroom a couple of inches, I can sit in a Tacoma without one , but I have no head room with one with the liner closed. I am considering a mid sized pickup, but the Tacoma is falling behind in fuel mileage, and it should at least have disc brakes on the rear. The new GM diesel gets great mileage, but the Canyon/Colorado have reliability issues. The new Ranger is sprung way too soft, and the Ridgeline is too much like a car and has a timing belt. There just isn't a mid size truck that really stands out as superior.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The sunroof reduces the headroom a couple of inches, I can sit in a Tacoma without one , but I have no head room with one with the liner closed. I am considering a mid sized pickup, but the Tacoma is falling behind in fuel mileage, and it should at least have disc brakes on the rear. The new GM diesel gets great mileage, but the Canyon/Colorado have reliability issues. The new Ranger is sprung way too soft, and the Ridgeline is too much like a car and has a timing belt. There just isn't a mid size truck that really stands out as superior.
Life is a series of compromises.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
.........ya, you're just too funny
I can see why they suspended you buddy , you arent entitled to have an opinion ..LOL
Old 02-27-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
I can see why they suspended you buddy , you arent entitled to have an opinion ..LOL
I looked high and low for posts that would have been suspension worthy, but we don't always see what goes on behind the scenes. Certainly wasn't anything to do with me complaining. I told him to clean his panties and carry on. Boy is it freeing to be able to partake in the back and forth. LOL.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Had to take a family illness day as my son had two doctor appointments at different places, and a set of x-rays at yet another place. Two were in the morning and one later in the afternoon. I had a couple hours to kill, so I thought I best take a Subaru Outback for a test drive, as I have been seriously considering one to replace the F-150 I sold yesterday. Anyhow, go to dealership and they give me a car and say it's yours for 1/2 hour. Bonus. No salesman in car as he was busy.

So, I say to myself, "Self, if you're gonna drop $36k on a car because you read in the internet that it is good in snow, you better see for yourself."

I quickly proceed to a field I run my dog in cuz I know it has lots of snow. Lol. I put it through its paces in about 8" and man this thing is the bomb. Almost like a Skidoo. So, I say to myself, "Self, time to up the level of difficulty and go for some deeper snow." I proceed. Thirty seconds later, all by my lonesome, I question why I talk to myself. Stuck tighter than bark on a tree. High centred.

I look out my window and lo and behold a gravel truck is dumping his load, as I was at the outskirts of a new neighborhood. Salvation. In my penny loafers, I trudge through the snow to his truck and ask for a hand. He looks at me like I have early onset dementia, and very begrudgingly agrees to hoof it over and drive as I try and push my test car. No luck. He cursed and walks away.

Now, I'm left to call the dealership. The salesman can't believe his ears. I tell him to send multiple men with multiple shovels. He asks for a pin on Google maps. I oblige.

Half hour goes by. I text my AO buddies. They laugh hilariously. The Subaru Posse arrives about 15 minutes later.

Much cursing and questioning of my sanity by the shop hands, and we are on our way, no worse for wear. I think I have crossed the Outback off my list, though it is a formidable station wagon. I am quite sure I will be the subject of jokes for years to come. Lol.

Tonight, I try a Ridgeline. I think I will stay on the beaten path

PS: If you get stuck bad, don't bother texting Pixelshooter. He will only make fun of you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Well, now I feel a bit bad for speaking so highly about the Subaru and sharing those videos... I suppose that is the thing about the clearance in these cars - you get 8.7 inches but once that is gone, you are completely out of luck.

They are a heck of a lot of fun to drive, though, until you hit that point of no return. I'm especially enjoying the 6 speed (which is why I was even considering these cars in the first place).
Old 02-27-2019, 12:51 PM

I am still waiting for the OPto take his Ridgeline to the same field.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:35 AM

I have no idea how I missed this thread lol! Classic. May join the ranks of the pool noodle, BBJ's thong, the barbell and of course the garden gnomes!

Seriously though, the most fun I ever had in snow was in if you can believe it a new Beetle. Absolutely ridiculous the snow that stupid thing went through. Next was the Fiero, you could hit a field and just slide anywhere you wanted to go, flat bottom like an aluminum boat. Crazy good. I also had a 1977 cj7 that was great in snow. I pulled a snap-on truck out that slid off the road into a ditch, wheels were hanging in the air. I hit that rope about 10x hard as I could, and got him back on the road.
Honorable mention to the 2004 Murano as well, for a little suv with stock rubber it was amazing. Worst ever was the 1993 Gmc extendacab. Junk.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-30-2021, 12:02 PM

They are a great car but obviously low riding and prone to high centering.
Old 01-30-2021, 12:50 PM

Really, that just looks like a proper test drive. No damage, just a little snow.

I wonder if taking a "small" recovery kit with a little shovel and some traction plates would be helpful, next time... Probably get some weird looks!

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 01-30-2021, 01:01 PM

Between the wife and I, probably a million km on Subes. And yes, been there, done that. That being said, when we (used to) get decent dumps of snow, the wife was a km down the road before i was out of the driveway in the dodge diesel 4x4.

Going to put our second subaru up for sale shortly, 450K. The third and the fourth are only at about 300K each, so will be keeping them a while. Second had been relegated to a temporary emergency use vehicle in case of breakdown, but... it just never gets used. LOL. First was traded in with 450K or so on the second.
Old 01-30-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxman View Post
X2. If my teenage son would have done this I’d have been embarrassed and very disappointed.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-30-2021, 02:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
X2. If my teenage son would have done this I’d have been embarrassed and very disappointed.
No kidding, disappointed is an understatement... No class here.

Jim
Old 01-30-2021, 02:40 PM

Looking at the new Subaru commercials, I mentioned to IncrediGirl that the conditions those vehicles are driving in are essentially our daily winter driving conditions...
Old 01-30-2021, 02:41 PM

One of my buddy's kid just picked up a WRX so naturally we had to take it out and put it through its paces, wow! Amazing where that little car can go with just some average tires on it. I was VERY impressed. We eventually got er REAL stuck, we had a hard time opening the doors the snow was so deep (snow drift) My ZR2 to the rescue!

That specific car is a little too "boy racer" for me with its HUGE wing and GICANTIC fart can exhaust but I definitely respect its capabilities. Although it's not for me it's definitely a nice little car. Kid got a smokin deal on it too.
Old 01-30-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
Between the wife and I, probably a million km on Subes. And yes, been there, done that. That being said, when we (used to) get decent dumps of snow, the wife was a km down the road before i was out of the driveway in the dodge diesel 4x4.

Going to put our second subaru up for sale shortly, 450K. The third and the fourth are only at about 300K each, so will be keeping them a while. Second had been relegated to a temporary emergency use vehicle in case of breakdown, but... it just never gets used. LOL. First was traded in with 450K or so on the second.
That's incredible to that kind of mileage out of a 4 or 6 cylinder. That's impressive!