Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-07-2020, 10:48 PM

Default So - who here has had Covid ??

Not sure if this has been brought up or not ??

What say you, survivors ??

I personally don't know anyone that's had it - or at least admitted to it.

I'd personally like to take an antibody test, as I feel like my family has been "sick" twice since this whole ordeal started - although we typically get sick more with seasonal colds/flu..so who knows ??

Can you get an antibody test done ?? Would be kinda beneficial in a sense, if the virus has already run its course. Could quit hiding out on AO like a internet ninja and mingle like a Pringle.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:54 PM

I felt a bit off, but at most it was a Covid 16, maybe a low 17.

I got better.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-07-2020, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I felt a bit off, but at most it was a Covid 16, maybe a low 17.

I got better.
Were you speaking moistly too?
Old 05-08-2020, 12:31 AM

A girl I have been chatting with on online dating told me she tested positive.
She currently has it.

She felt 'off' and slept a whole day before she went and got tested. Says her nose is congested. She isn't deathly ill. She is working from home.

Great Aunt's sister and husband got Covid. They live in New York.
Sister ended up dying from it. She is in her late 70s or 80s I think.
Old 05-08-2020, 02:19 AM

I know five people in red deer who tested positive for it.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:00 AM
Banned

The fellow who works with me in my department.... his aunt in NY died from it about 4 weeks ago.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Of course, there are the docs who attended a curling bonspiel and were exposed. I'm told, one case has shown up at the hospital. We had two cases in the county, both listed as recovered. God is hitting the City people. Seems the people at the lower spectrum of the economic ladder are being hit the hardest and doing the spreading as a result. They have to work.

Grizz
Old 05-14-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Wow. tested positive but were they sick with the symptoms or asymptomatic?
Old 05-07-2020, 10:58 PM

I know people in 7 countries on 4 continents. I have dozens of family members in Italy. My wife has dozens of family members in Portugal, and to a lesser degree, France. Through my work I daily talk to people across North America, but mostly Canada.
I don't know anyone, who directly knows anyone, who has tested positive.
Just lucky I guess...
Old 05-07-2020, 11:10 PM

I don't know anyone that has officially tested positive. We have had a couple guys at work that have had a tickle in their throat and have taken full advantage of mandatory paid vacation but oddly no word if they even tried to get tested...

Oh well, more overtime for me lol...
Old 05-07-2020, 11:11 PM

My girl was sick in March and I had a touch but attributed it to a flu or something. I don't know anyone that has had it but the Bonnyville, NE AB has had very few cases. The last time I paid attention was seven and all got better.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:11 PM

So just which covid 19 virus do you think you now have immunity to? The virus has mutated, and the evolved strain seems to be more virulent than the 1.0 version.

That is the problem with immunity. Recovered people are getting sick again, when they should have antibodies. So why are the antibodies not protecting the recovered people?

The Governor of New York is perplexed because 66 % of recent cases where people who were self isolating. In other words, the precautions did not matter.

It seems that the scientists have no answers, but for much of the world, there is no massive infections / hospitalizations like the worst case scenario projections expected.

All that we can do is to start to go back to normal, with some serious precautions being taken if someone seems to be ill.

Local hotspots will still emerge as super carriers walk among us completely loaded up with virus, but suffering no effects as they spread the virus amongst us.

However, we cannot continue in this current state of isolation and panic. The World has to move forward, or very quickly the Government infrastructure delivering all this free money will collapse taking down the whole Society.

While energy is cheap and plentiful, it is meaningless for Society to continue.

If the necessary producers of our food supply cannot deliver the basic food we need because no one is working at production, processing, and distribution, what will happen when the crops are not planted and harvested?

All the "Tru dough" in the world will not make a difference.

We all will still end up paying for these self isolation measures in the fall, and it will not be paying off a massive Government Debt.

Just look at what Russia went through in the mid 2000's when 3 successive droughts wiped out Russia's strategic food reserves, driving world grain prices to $19 for a bushel of Canola, and $12 for wheat in 2008.

This time around it will not be drought, it will be the after shocks of the virus on the supply chain. There will not be the ready shipping of cereal and oil seed crops to meet the world demand, even if there is sufficient production.

Drewski
Old 10-22-2020, 05:11 PM

I know a lot of people in a community that had a large outbreak. And I know quite a few that had it. It was very mild for 90% of them. There was some that had a rough couple weeks. The people that died were in such rough shape before Covid, that they would have passed from the flu or H1N1 as well.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:38 PM

I was in California, when that state, and the area around LA where I was happened to be the "hot spot" - this was, literally, the day the Canadian Government shut down the borders and I was boarding my flight back to Edmonton with "flu like symptoms" (was a Friday)

Came home, isolated for 14 days. Was sick, not deathly ill or anything, but with flu like symptoms, for roughly 5 days then got better. I did have a cough that was worse than usual, my breathing was loud and was tired and couldn't keep my eyes open (which was a little unusual for me or nothing like I ever experienced with other colds or flus). But overall, it wasn't what I would call serious but I'm under 50, have no real health issues, etc...

Was "tested" pretty early on just days after the testing center was set up. 3 swabs, current, +3 days, +6 days tests (2 different test I guess). 2 negative, 1 inconclusive.

I recently learned that the early tests has a false positive and false negative error rate that was >30% my neighbor, who is a doctor, is consulting with the provincial task force for Covid through a fellow doctor and colleague of his - so the source is SOLID on how unreliable the early tests were.

Makes sense I guess.

So, who knows. In some ways, maybe it's better to have had it and carry some immunity for a while until it mutates another 6-7 versions - but who knows now.

Either way - I remain diligent and respectful of this virus and do my part and don't cry HOAX and whine about the freedoms it takes away from me by wearing a silly little mask when I'm in public - I'd hate to be the self centered blatantly ignorant person who's selfish and paranoid behavior takes away the life of a bystander who is a mother, father, grandparent of someone else.

I realize this isn't about ME - and it's not about what I want - it's about what's best for everyone.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:06 PM
Gone Hunting

I know several people who have tested positive for the virus, only one got sick.

At present our next door neighbors are in lock-down due to one family member testing positive, so far no one in that home has had symptoms.

In light of recent reports by several Ontario based news papers I don't know what to think.

To quote those news sources;

Quote:
The daily pandemic death counts in Ontario include people who have tested positive for COVID-19 but have not necessarily died from the virus.

The exact number of people who fit into this category is unknown by the government and not even being counted.

The Sun was able to confirm this information after speaking with three of the hardest hit public health units in Ontario — Toronto, Ottawa and Peel Region
I would add, I expect those reports to disappear in the next few days.
Either that or they will be retracted and claims that some error was made by the reporter or reporters involved will be made.

I guess I'm getting covid burn out.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-22-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I know several people who have tested positive for the virus, only one got sick.

At present our next door neighbors are in lock-down due to one family member testing positive, so far no one in that home has had symptoms.

In light of recent reports by several Ontario based news papers I don't know what to think.

Either that or they will be retracted and claims that some error was made by the reporter or reporters involved will be made.

The article I linked was from oct 8th. Hasn’t disappeared yet......
Old 10-22-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:

In Canada. One friend of the family died. One parent of a friend of the family recovered. One friend lost many relatives down in Brazil. Most people in my circle are being responsible. Most in Alberta are being responsible so there isn't a huge spread but it is increasing. Hopefully people help prevent its spread.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-22-2020, 06:28 PM

14 days ago. Funny it’s been so quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post

Flu deaths are estimates. There was a great article a number of years ago explaining the history of flu death estimates, since flu is/was very rarely put on death certificates.

Pneumonia is the direct killer.

“Cause-of-death statistics are based solely on the underlying cause of death as 'the disease or injury which initiated the train of events leading directly to death’" - National Center for Health Statistics.

Last edited by KinAlberta; 10-22-2020 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
Flu deaths are estimates. There was a great article a number of years ago explaining the history of flu death estimates, since flu is/was very rarely put on death certificates.

Pneumonia is the direct killer.

“Cause-of-death statistics are based solely on the underlying cause of death as 'the disease or injury which initiated the train of events leading directly to death’" - National Center for Health Statistics.
I know that was true of the common flu, but this new flu is the most tracked in history. They have access to death certificates and autopsy reports, why not use them?

Besides, if they are estimates why aren't they saying so?

Not only that but how is it that they can claim zero false positives on their tests but can't come up with the actual number of true covids deaths.

If they would lead us to believe death counts are fact when they are actually estimates, then on what bases am I to believe that positive test results are not also estimates?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-22-2020, 08:01 PM

https://news.sky.com/story/influence...tence-12107174

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-22-2020, 08:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
That’s pretty brutal. It’s amazing how it effects certain people so intensely while most aren’t even sure if they have/had it.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:01 PM

I haven't had it, but my uncle has, and a student of mine has it.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 10-23-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
I know that was true of the common flu, but this new flu is the most tracked in history. They have access to death certificates and autopsy reports, why not use them?

Besides, if they are estimates why aren't they saying so?

Not only that but how is it that they can claim zero false positives on their tests but can't come up with the actual number of true covids deaths.

If they would lead us to believe death counts are fact when they are actually estimates, then on what bases am I to believe that positive test results are not also estimates?
Hey Keg.

Here is a report published by the CDC: Excess Deaths Associated with COVID-19, by Age and Race and Ethnicity — United States, January 26–October 3, 2020

You can read the whole thing, but here is a direct, most relevant quote:

As of October 15, 216,025 deaths from COVID-19 have been reported in the United States; however, this might underestimate the total impact of the pandemic on mortality.

Overall, an estimated 299,028 excess deaths occurred from late January through October 3, 2020, with 198,081 (66%) excess deaths attributed to COVID-19. The largest percentage increases were seen among adults aged 25–44 years and among Hispanic or Latino persons.

And here is a graphic (depicting weekly numbers of deaths from all causes and from all causes excluding COVID-19 relative to the average expected number and the upper bound of the 95% prediction interval (A), and the weekly and total numbers of deaths from all causes and from all causes excluding COVID-19 above the average expected number and the upper bound of the 95% prediction interval (B) — National Vital Statistics System, United States, January–September 2020) from the same source:

Of course, these are estimates because mo one knows how many people were actually supposed to die.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:34 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Hey Keg.

Here is a report published by the CDC: Excess Deaths Associated with COVID-19, by Age and Race and Ethnicity — United States, January 26–October 3, 2020

As of October 15, 216,025 deaths from COVID-19 have been reported in the United States; however, this might underestimate the total impact of the pandemic on mortality.

Overall, an estimated 299,028 excess deaths occurred from late January through October 3, 2020, with 198,081 (66%) excess deaths attributed to COVID-19. The largest percentage increases were seen among adults aged 25–44 years and among Hispanic or Latino persons.

And here is a graphic (depicting weekly numbers of deaths from all causes and from all causes excluding COVID-19 relative to the average expected number and the upper bound of the 95% prediction interval (A), and the weekly and total numbers of deaths from all causes and from all causes excluding COVID-19 above the average expected number and the upper bound of the 95% prediction interval (B) — National Vital Statistics System, United States, January–September 2020) from the same source:

Of course, these are estimates because no one knows how many people were actually supposed to die.

Hope this helps.
Is that last line a misprint or are you trying to be funny. What do you mean, were supposed to die? Where did that come from.

They claim to have real numbers, now they want to claim they have estimates only?

Sounds to me like damage control. Maybe the Toronto Sun report is true.

The old, if you can't baffle them with brilliance baffle them with cow manure.

This CDC page says nothing about estimates.
It does claim this data is from reports submitted to them, supposedly from reputable sources.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...r100klast7days

So which is it, are they using reports or estimates?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-23-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Hey Keg.

Of course, these are estimates because mo one knows how many people were actually supposed to die.

Hope this helps.

For all the people who failed to understand what this link is saying - let me paraphrase it .......

The US Governments own CDC
says there are another 198,091 deaths (almost DOUBLING) what has been reported because they were UNDER REPORTED .......

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 10-23-2020, 09:25 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

come on man...you and I know that as soon as you throw in any guberment agency there is going to be a mosh pit of bs floating around along with inaccuracies etc.....but the covid is not concern if it didn't get credit for a kill here or there.....it just kills.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-23-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
come on man...you and I know that as soon as you throw in any guberment agency there is going to be a mosh pit of bs floating around along with inaccuracies etc.....but the covid is not concern if it didn't get credit for a kill here or there.....it just kills.
I’m sorry it doesn’t fit your narrative.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:31 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
I’m sorry it doesn’t fit your narrative.
why?...because I know the guberments are a little twisted and inaccurate with data etc or because the covid kills?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-23-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
why?...because I know the guberments are a little twisted and inaccurate with data etc or because the covid kills?
Your right.
If the govt is admitting the inaccuracies of the tests to this degree, it’s probably even greater. Excellent point.