Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-09-2020, 01:46 PM

Default Question

When I was a kid (14) I applied for a trapline and was issued one. Given my particular situation at the time, there was no way I could maintain or even regularily harvest that line. I wonder, 35 years later if that line is still issued to me and if I would be grandfathered as a licenced trapper? Regardless, at this I have more time on my plate and retirement is approaching. I'd sure like to catch up on this unfinished work and sweat a bit too.

I'll have to call F&G to proceed, but I thought to ask you guys what you though they might mave done with the line and if they may consider grandfathering me in or not.

Last edited by dumoulin; 10-09-2020 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:50 AM

Default trap line

If you did not renew your trap line license and provide fur harvest report each year, then F & W gave the RFMA line to other trappers. Your previous operation of line would carry some wait but not to much with F & W.
If you trapped lot in last few years, had lots of equipment, taken trapping courses, live in area then you move to front of the line for the line, if available.
Then if trapper built good cabins, bridges, opened trails they will want significant cash for improvements in 10's of thousands $$.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:52 PM

Thank you.

I went for a 8 hour drive to check it out. The line has actually been turn into a pipeline, a series of leases, a plant and a tank farm. She’s gone!

Make me sad. Total loss.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:03 PM
Gone Hunting

If you are interested in acquiring another line your previous experience will certainly be considered.

However, in recent years many lines have been taken over by people with little previous experience but deep pockets.

My line was one of those. I turned it over to a neighbor with many years of trapping experience and tons of equipment.
He promptly sold it to a cop from Calgary for ten times what the improvement were worth. The new owner uses it as a private hunting reserve and leases out the trapping rights. He doesn't trap and never has.

Most of the lines in this area have gone the same way. They are now private hunting preserves for people with deep pockets.

It's not supposed to happen but with one CO covering several thousand square miles of inaccessible country, there is no way to stop it from happening under the present rules.

The bottom line is, if you want to trap you best stick to private land if you don't have very deep pockets.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-17-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
If you are interested in acquiring another line your previous experience will certainly be considered.

However, in recent years many lines have been taken over by people with little previous experience but deep pockets.

My line was one of those. I turned it over to a neighbor with many years of trapping experience and tons of equipment.
He promptly sold it to a cop from Calgary for ten times what the improvement were worth. The new owner uses it as a private hunting reserve and leases out the trapping rights. He doesn't trap and never has.

Most of the lines in this area have gone the same way. They are now private hunting preserves for people with deep pockets.

It's not supposed to happen but with one CO covering several thousand square miles of inaccessible country, there is no way to stop it from happening under the present rules.

The bottom line is, if you want to trap you best stick to private land if you don't have very deep pockets.
I wonder what percentage of lines are actually used for their intended purpose as opposed to used for just a hunting or recreational cabin in the bush.