Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Is there even such thing as death rate based on frequency? I’ve honestly never heard of such a thing??? The death rate is your chance of death if you contract it as far as I knew? Anyway, you’re posting all these numbers but what do they pertain to? Alberta? Canada? North America?

To be totally honest with you, the death rate whether it’s based on frequency or not doesn’t really matter much to me right now with all the other stuff that’s going on but it’s fun to check into.
Kurt,

In statistics rate of frequency and rate per "X" (defined as sample group) are common and basic ways to statistically measure "rates".

Frequency Rate is probably the first thing you learn. Doesn't matter really anyways because all I was saying is, there isn't a way I can think of, in any way you can slice it, that even comes close to making the flu worse compared to Covid. It's just not.

Covid is pretty darn dangerous if you get it and you have underlying health conditions or you are one of those rare cases, as a healthy person, it latches onto you and kills you.

When anyone compares it to the flu in severity, they aren't really accepting the reality of it (or may not really understand or know) maybe - either way - it's nothing like the flu that way - it's way worse.

I was using US numbers - for my examples there. Canada is proportionate as is most of the world really .... in terms of death rates/infections

The frequency, of course, in the US is horrific - although they are no longer the worst - I think they are second worst in the world as they cowboy around, crowding each other in defiance with no masks yelling about what a hoax this is ........ I just shake my head when I see that stuff.

Last edited by EZM; 10-23-2020 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Kurt,

In statistics rate of frequency and rate per "X" (defined as sample group) are common and basic ways to statistically measure "rates".

Frequency Rate is probably the first thing you learn. Doesn't matter really anyways because all I was saying is, there isn't a way I can think of, in any way you can slice it, that even comes close to making the flu worse compared to Covid. It's just not.

Covid is pretty darn dangerous if you get it and you have underlying health conditions or you are one of those rare cases, as a healthy person, it latches onto you and kills you.

When anyone compares it to the flu in severity, they aren't really accepting the reality of it (or may not really understand or know) maybe - either way - it's nothing like the flu that way - it's way worse.

I was using US numbers - for my examples there. Canada is proportionate as is most of the world really .... in terms of death rates/infections

The frequency, of course, in the US is horrific - although they are no longer the worst - I think they are second worst in the world as they cowboy around, crowding each other in defiance with no masks yelling about what a hoax this is ........ I just shake my head when I see that stuff.

I never said the flu was deadlier than covid, I simply posted an article that states the common flu and covid 19 have similar death rates, it’s right there in the article, I never made it up. I also have been saying from the start that the difference between the two is the infection rate. Another thing I’ve been saying is that some people get their flu shot every year, most are the “vulnerable” population so that would be a factor in the lower transmission rate of the flu.If it was and even playing field between the two I think the transmission rate would be closer as well.

They say by June we should be looking better as most viruses seem to run for 18 months or so. I’m not waiting for a vaccine shot, I’m just going to be aware until this thing runs it’s course.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
I never said the flu was deadlier than covid, I simply posted an article that states the common flu and covid 19 have similar death rates, it’s right there in the article, I never made it up. I also have been saying from the start that the difference between the two is the infection rate. Another thing I’ve been saying is that some people get their flu shot every year, most are the “vulnerable” population so that would be a factor in the lower transmission rate of the flu.If it was and even playing field between the two I think the transmission rate would be closer as well.

They say by June we should be looking better as most viruses seem to run for 18 months or so. I’m not waiting for a vaccine shot, I’m just going to be aware until this thing runs it’s course.
If the article said that, it was wrong. The math doesn't support that. In any context, or in any measurement whatsoever.

Either way, doesn't really matter, there is so much trash out there in media you have to basically fact check everything - it's getting ridiculous that none of can trust any source out there. Crazy world.

As far as this virus and an 18 month life cycle, I haven't heard that, but I hope that's the case.

Most viruses continue to mutate, Covid included, and they generally become less deadly over time (generally).

Less people that are being infected are dying, which could be that, or the fact that doctors are better at treating it based on what they are learning - or, most likely a combination of the two.

If there's a vaccine that comes out, and it's been properly tested and deemed safe, I have no issue taking it. The risk of the vaccine hurting you is likely less than the potential of a severe outcome contracting Covid.

I guess we will cross that hurtle when the time comes and make a decision.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
If the article said that, it was wrong. The math doesn't support that. In any context, or in any measurement whatsoever.

Either way, doesn't really matter, there is so much trash out there in media you have to basically fact check everything - it's getting ridiculous that none of can trust any source out there. Crazy world.

As far as this virus and an 18 month life cycle, I haven't heard that, but I hope that's the case.

Most viruses continue to mutate, Covid included, and they generally become less deadly over time (generally).

Less people that are being infected are dying, which could be that, or the fact that doctors are better at treating it based on what they are learning - or, most likely a combination of the two.

If there's a vaccine that comes out, and it's been properly tested and deemed safe, I have no issue taking it. The risk of the vaccine hurting you is likely less than the potential of a severe outcome contracting Covid.

I guess we will cross that hurtle when the time comes and make a decision.
If the article said that???

Lol, I guess if you only read what you want there’s no point in trying to discuss this with you because you’ve got your mind made up.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:26 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

If as was reported, deaths were counted as covid deaths even when the victim was not sick at the time of death, then what?

How reliable are the numbers then.

Remember, that report came from the same source most people would call a credible source. The same source that gives us most of what we think we know, namely mainstream media.

The numbers don't make sense.

How can it be that North America has more infections then southeast Asia has?

Southeast Asia population density = 154 per Km2
North America population density = 20 per Km2

Southeast Asia total infections = 7 335 273
North America total infections = 8,746,953

Some might say there is less testing in southeast Asia, I don't buy that as an explanation.
If they can estimate with any accuracy for north America they certainly do the same for any part of the Globe.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-24-2020, 06:12 PM

My daughter in law battled Covid for about a month ICU for a couple weeks.
She is 38 and has to use oxygen now. She has tested negative now and has been over it for about three months.
Don't know what the long term affects on her are going to be, has definitely altered her life style.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...
Old 10-24-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
If the article said that???

Lol, I guess if you only read what you want there’s no point in trying to discuss this with you because you’ve got your mind made up.
Fair statement - however, you should know, in fairness to this discussion, how my mind was made up.

I feel the best data, with the most accuracy and credibility, comes directly from the US Governments CDC and Canada Health ......... any and all articles, facebook posts etc... simply don't carry the same weight and credibility with me.

The WHO numbers as well support similar rates and comparative rates of severity when comparing the flu to Covid.

There is not one credible data point I have ever seen to suggest otherwise. None.

The CDC published data, and under the current administration reports indirectly up the POTUS as one of the departments he, himself, is responsible for.

There is no dispute. It's very easy to look up data and see it there.

So, yes, my mind is made up, and the numbers are very clear, without dispute, and not even close. Not even close.

So despite the "war of wills" discussing this, there's really nothing to discuss if you look at the numbers.

So you say my mind is made up, and I choose to believe what I want - yes - you are 100% correct.

I am content to give it a rest - I said my piece. It seems you are equally entrenched in your perspective, however, I don't know what data you are using to make your mind up.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
If as was reported, deaths were counted as covid deaths even when the victim was not sick at the time of death, then what?

How reliable are the numbers then.

Remember, that report came from the same source most people would call a credible source. The same source that gives us most of what we think we know, namely mainstream media.

The numbers don't make sense.

How can it be that North America has more infections then southeast Asia has?

Southeast Asia population density = 154 per Km2
North America population density = 20 per Km2

Southeast Asia total infections = 7 335 273
North America total infections = 8,746,953

Some might say there is less testing in southeast Asia, I don't buy that as an explanation.
If they can estimate with any accuracy for north America they certainly do the same for any part of the Globe.
The reality is, unless we see the data set, we simply don't know.

It's an article, keep that in mind.

As far as I'm concerned you can see what I'm basing my perspective on in my previous post. I use official government info. That seems to be, at least, credible - certainly moreso compared to everything else you see out there.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakken View Post
My daughter in law battled Covid for about a month ICU for a couple weeks.
She is 38 and has to use oxygen now. She has tested negative now and has been over it for about three months.
Don't know what the long term affects on her are going to be, has definitely altered her life style.
Sorry to hear that KK
Old 10-24-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I

These are not estimates. These are confirmed positive cases.
Look at percentage of positive tests to better understand how low
confirmed cases and low test numbers can mean very high actual cases.

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-testing
Old 10-24-2020, 08:30 PM

One of my nieces contracted covid back in December. Back when they didn't even know what they were dealing with. She was in hospital for 3 months. ICU for 6 weeks of which 4 weeks were in medically induced coma. Now 10 months later she is still recovering. She had to relearn most things after coming out of coma.

I take covid seriously.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-24-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:

Anyone else see the irony in this post?
Old 10-24-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
One of my nieces contracted covid back in December. Back when they didn't even know what they were dealing with. She was in hospital for 3 months. ICU for 6 weeks of which 4 weeks were in medically induced coma. Now 10 months later she is still recovering. She had to relearn most things after coming out of coma.

I take covid seriously.
Sorry to hear that Red. Hope she has a full recovery.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:

I take covid seriously.
Interesting.

Kinda wondered about when it actually arrived here. I got hit with something harsh in mid Feb. Covid symptoms to a T. Two days in bed, could not hardly get up to ****. Day two I got out of bed and went to work. Did not know any better.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:32 AM
Banned

I’m pretty sure I’ve had it at least twice. Something still isn’t right with me I’m joking about a very serious feeling. I never used to get headaches until recently. Last week my sinuses were throbbing for a couple days and it felt like someone was stabbing me in the brain through my nose. At times I would be very cold and then it would vanish and I’d start getting odd aches and pains that felt like getting stabbed in different extremities.

The first time it started with a scratchy throat kind of like a tickle that wouldn’t go away and was very pronounced. All that week I wondered around like I was in some strange dream I couldn’t get out of. It was a feeling I’ve never felt before. My stomach still feels queasy regularly since then as well.

Last September while in college I got very sick to the point my temperature was almost 105. I developed pneumonia in that period as well and was on serious antibiotics.I was around one girl from wuhan that sat in the same spot I ate my lunch at regularly when no one was in the spot. I’m not blaming anything or suggesting anything but this chick brought the jubes over from wuhan and gave it to me so covid has actually been here before September of last year.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:48 AM
Banned

The government put my kid back in school so I’m in the expendable category. If you want to look at it that way, I go about my regular routine while being in the super duper category. Pretty sure I seen a little spit land in someone’s eye today wish I were joking
Old 10-25-2020, 01:10 AM
Banned

Quote:

I take covid seriously.
Did your niece go to the red deer college by chance? Asking for a friend

Seriously though, I got deadly ill October of last year. I get my flu shot every year and old enough to know when I have the flu. That wasn’t no flu I had yow. I’m pretty sure I seen dead people........
Old 10-25-2020, 01:17 AM
Banned

Pretty sure my dog has had covid as well. Not joking, he was also hacking for days. My dog never hacks
Old 10-25-2020, 01:24 AM

Weirdness happened to me in mid Dec, that little thing that dangles in the back of the mouth (uvula)
swelled something fierce & finally ended up resting on my tongue while often gagging me, by Feb everything
returned to normal. Never had such a thing like that before.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsalot View Post
I’ve been wondering if I had it just a week after New Years. I was sick bad for about 4 days. Had a fever and chills that were unreal. I was shaking so bad one night I thought I was going to bounce out of bed. But then I was ok after a few days. Makes me think it might of been the plague.
I had something like that in January too. Got the shakes so bad thought all the fillings in my teeth would pop out! And extremely tired, fatigued like never before.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:

I take covid seriously.
My son's mother in law went through the same thing in early January. Her doctors were stumped at what was causing her condition at the time. She too was in ICU and incubated for a time. She now has lung damage in the way of scarring. BC doesn't have antibody testing at this time but her doctor is now quite certain that she had COVID.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

I take covid seriously.
We all should take it serious....hope she has a full recovery....it only takes the nay Sayers to stare in the eyes of a seriously sick loved one then maybe they would change thier attitude towards this....

Red Deer didn't get the memo I guess as they now have mandatory mask wearing.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-25-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:

I take covid seriously.
I don’t mean this to be disrespectful at all, that’s terrible, and glad she’s on the road to recovery, but was this a confirmed Covid case? I was really sick in February but before it was on our radar here. Wondering if she was able to get an antibody test after the fact.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:41 AM

Thank you to everyone for the well wishes for my niece. She was a healthy 40 year old woman and no she didn't go to Red Deer College. She was a teacher in a elementary school . And worst of all she has three small children aged 4 to 8.

I can not say for certain because I do not know the whole story but I'm sure it was covid. She was put into coma because they couldn't figure out what they were dealing with. All the symptoms and signs of covid. And lingering after effects.

She is getting better but the whole ordeal has definitely changed her health and abilities.

I send best wishes to Kodiak Ken's daughter in law too. Very sad to read about her suffering too.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-27-2020, 06:28 AM

Interesting:

Quote:
Covid: Antibodies 'fall rapidly after infection' - BBC News

"Immunity is waning quite rapidly, we're only three months after our first [round of tests] and we're already showing a 26% decline in antibodies," said Prof Helen Ward, one of the researchers.
The fall was greater in those over 65, compared with younger age groups, and in those without symptoms compared with those with full-blown Covid-19.
The number of healthcare workers with antibodies remained relatively high, which the researchers suggest may be due to regular exposure to the virus.“
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54696873
Old 10-27-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Fair statement - however, you should know, in fairness to this discussion, how my mind was made up.

I feel the best data, with the most accuracy and credibility, comes directly from the US Governments CDC and Canada Health ......... any and all articles, facebook posts etc... simply don't carry the same weight and credibility with me.

The WHO numbers as well support similar rates and comparative rates of severity when comparing the flu to Covid.

There is not one credible data point I have ever seen to suggest otherwise. None.

The CDC published data, and under the current administration reports indirectly up the POTUS as one of the departments he, himself, is responsible for.

There is no dispute. It's very easy to look up data and see it there.

So, yes, my mind is made up, and the numbers are very clear, without dispute, and not even close. Not even close.

So despite the "war of wills" discussing this, there's really nothing to discuss if you look at the numbers.

So you say my mind is made up, and I choose to believe what I want - yes - you are 100% correct.

I am content to give it a rest - I said my piece. It seems you are equally entrenched in your perspective, however, I don't know what data you are using to make your mind up.

Anyone who has been following this from the beginning know health Canada is a joke, cdc is a joke, the who 100% is a joke. In the usa hospitals were getting paid extra to call a death covid. Many, many, many deaths were not covid related and they still called them covid deaths.
As Biden the criminal would say..."Come on man!"
Old 10-27-2020, 08:28 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
Anyone who has been following this from the beginning know health Canada is a joke, cdc is a joke, the who 100% is a joke. In the usa hospitals were getting paid extra to call a death covid. Many, many, many deaths were not covid related and they still called them covid deaths.
As Biden the criminal would say..."Come on man!"

then explain what is going on...globally first...is this all a scam....world wide guberments working together to destroy mankind...this oughta be real goooooood!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-27-2020, 08:33 AM

Default No Chance

Our pathetic clowns in Ottawa will send China the bill now is there?