Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-08-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I guess that’s why I gave my experience instead of a blanket statement. It’s a sample of one, not a golden rule. It does however indicate with enough load development he may find an accurate load in spite of the fact his rifles being picky. For my rifle a pressure point under the barrel never helped. I didn’t full length bed it though.

That’s correct, I’m not recoil shy but that stock design and my physique didn’t work together. Again, my experience and mine alone. I’m not suggesting everyone else will come to a similar conclusion but for my 6’1” frame it was the worst I’ve ever shot and in a cartridge that’s typically a ***** cat.

Seems bygones aren’t bygones yet. Maybe in another ten years eh?
Not sure what you mean by that, I harbor no ill feelings towards you, you taught me quite a bit. We just have somewhat different philosophies on a few things, including Husqvarnas. Sorry if my dig was a little over zealous, it sounded funnier in my head.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Not sure what you mean by that, I harbor no ill feelings towards you, you taught me quite a bit. We just have somewhat different philosophies on a few things, including Husqvarnas. Sorry if my dig was a little over zealous, it sounded funnier in my head.
All good Cal. I must of misread it and I bet some of our differences would be aligned now as your work ethic has rubbed off on me since we were moose hunting the first time. Enjoy the rest of the season.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
All good Cal. I must of misread it and I bet some of our differences would be aligned now as your work ethic has rubbed off on me since we were moose hunting the first time. Enjoy the rest of the season.
Best thing you taught me was to get more aggressive, I used to always hunt really slow. To this day, if I catch myself sneaking around somewhere without much sign for too long I tell myself "1st rule, hunt where the elk are!", and pick up the pace until I find some sign.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep dog View Post
I'm happy to sell you mine for $1,000.
Offer still open.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:34 AM

Quote:
I'm happy to sell you mine for $1,000.
In my world there is a vast difference between turning down 1k for a rifle you own and love, and spending that amount on a new one.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Best thing you taught me was to get more aggressive, I used to always hunt really slow. To this day, if I catch myself sneaking around somewhere without much sign for too long I tell myself "1st rule, hunt where the elk are!", and pick up the pace until I find some sign.
Lol. My old man was an elk killing machine. He had the luxury of hunting that area since the mid 60’s so he certainly knew the county. When I was 16 to about 18 he would give me the gears for hunting country instead of animals. In my head I was learning the country, in his I was wasting time in areas without animals. He only had two rules to kill elk and that one you mentioned was rule number 1.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
In my world there is a vast difference between turning down 1k for a rifle you own and love, and spending that amount on a new one.
Fair enough.

Sentiment? You name your price.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
I had one of those about ten or fifteen years ago. Besides being THE worst recoiling rifle I’ve ever shot it was an absolute beast to find an accurate load for. I played with pressure points under the barrel with no success. In the end I just kept looking for an accurate load and found one with RE15 and a 165 accubond that would shoot around 3/4”. Velocity was great and it was consistent. Most loads shot around 4-8” and I had to try about a dozen bullets and half a dozen powders to find a single load that shot well.

Good luck.

OP. The only husqvarna I’ve ever owned that I actually liked was a crown grade.
I agree. I've got a crown grade 7mm RM and an FN98 in 270. The 270 is a dream to shoot, the 7mm is a bit ignorant, buy my dad's Husky lightweight in 30-06 is just stupid. To many other rifles to shoulder to even consider using that one. No wonder it's in such good shape lol. The only wear on it is from being in a scabbord, certainly not from target practicing.
Old 11-11-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
I agree. I've got a crown grade 7mm RM and an FN98 in 270. The 270 is a dream to shoot, the 7mm is a bit ignorant, buy my dad's Husky lightweight in 30-06 is just stupid. To many other rifles to shoulder to even consider using that one. No wonder it's in such good shape lol. The only wear on it is from being in a scabbord, certainly not from target practicing.
If you ever want to sell that 06 lightweight, I know a guy who might want to add a real nice one to the collection
Old 11-11-2020, 02:23 PM

Old 11-11-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Fair enough.

Sentiment? You name your price.
I already have a nice lightweight in .270... If yours is a lightweight, and nicer than mine, and I could sell mine for $650, then I would give you $550 for yours.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
If you ever want to sell that 06 lightweight, I know a guy who might want to add a real nice one to the collection
I would in a heartbeat, but it's still in my dad's safe It's probably the only one that I don't grab hold of when I'm up there visiting and we head out to poke holes in paper.

It'll likely be for sale someday, as neither my brother-in-law, either of my nieces's husbands or myself have any interest in it lol.

(I say that now, but for some strange reason I have a weakness for Husky's)
Old 11-19-2020, 08:34 PM

Got a price back from my friend; sounds like he wants around $700. Maybe I'm a little cheap, but I was hoping he'd say a little less. But it does have a decent scope and rings. What do you guys think? Too high? Low?

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 11-20-2020, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Got a price back from my friend; sounds like he wants around $700. Maybe I'm a little cheap, but I was hoping he'd say a little less. But it does have a decent scope and rings. What do you guys think? Too high? Low?
Minus the crack in the forend I would say thats not a bad price for a crown grade 7mm, depending on how much you want the B&L scope. Have you looked for cracks under the action?

Not sure what the crack is like, but once that word is included in a sales pitch it tends to make for a tough sell... IE, even after you fix it, it might be tough to recoup your $700 whilst remaining 100% honest if you decide to sell it.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Minus the crack in the forend I would say thats not a bad price for a crown grade 7mm, depending on how much you want the B&L scope. Have you looked for cracks under the action?

Not sure what the crack is like, but once that word is included in a sales pitch it tends to make for a tough sell... IE, even after you fix it, it might be tough to recoup your $700 whilst remaining 100% honest if you decide to sell it.
Not very noticeable, but it is there if you look for it. I feel like I could fix pretty well. Didn't see any under the action, but I didn't take it apart either.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 11-20-2020, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Not very noticeable, but it is there if you look for it. I feel like I could fix pretty well. Didn't see any under the action, but I didn't take it apart either.
I have an 06 that looked pretty decent when I bought it, on removing the action from the stock there were quite a few cracks under the action. I like the gun, and its perfectly serviceable now, but my golden rule of never paying more for a used item than I can easily sell it for was broken. I wouldnt sell the gun without mentioning the cracks, and after mentioning the cracks I doubt I could sell it for the $450 it cost me.

Just something to think about. On the bright side that rifle has harvested enough meat that it really doesnt owe me anything by this point... 1 moose, 1 elk, and at least a half dozen deer.

Last edited by Bushleague; 11-20-2020 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
For a Crown Grade with scope and rings I don't think that's a bad price at all. From the pictures it looks to be in pretty decent shape with light use.

The quality of these rifles is top notch, you'd be hard pressed to find a new rifle of comparable build quality at that price point and the scope and rings wouldn't be included.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:46 AM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
I would suggest you have a look under the action also, cracks in these gunstocks are a well known common issue.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:52 AM

If you are hesitant at all for that price, can you give me his contact info please?
I'll gladly take it for that price.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
If you are hesitant at all for that price, can you give me his contact info please?
I'll gladly take it for that price.
Hey man, back off, I get first dibs!
Old 11-20-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLab View Post
I would suggest you have a look under the action also, cracks in these gunstocks are a well known common issue.
Any cracks on the action area of the stock are easily fixed by glass bedding. In fact any mauser type action that isn't bedded should be and u will never have to worry about action cracks or the tang chipping out. In my books, that is a decent price for the gun, not start the car level, but fair for a quality rifle.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Any cracks on the action area of the stock are easily fixed by glass bedding. In fact any mauser type action that isn't bedded should be and u will never have to worry about action cracks or the tang chipping out. In my books, that is a decent price for the gun, not start the car level, but fair for a quality rifle.
While this is very true, I think we can agree that it should be worked into the price... even once repaired. A properly repaired one is as good as one that was bedded before it cracked, but would you pay the same money?
Old 11-20-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
While this is very true, I think we can agree that it should be worked into the price... even once repaired. A properly repaired one is as good as one that was bedded before it cracked, but would you pay the same money?
If it currently needs repair that would affect the price slightly, depending on size and location. If the stock is already bedded or is properly repaired then no, since 80 percent of Mausers eventually need this repair.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
I already have a nice lightweight in .270... If yours is a lightweight, and nicer than mine, and I could sell mine for $650, then I would give you $550 for yours.
Done. Come by and pick up your rifle. Cheque or cash, no matter to me.