Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-21-2020, 10:56 PM
Banned

Arrow Eld-m recovered, 6.5 Grendel, squirrel gun strikes again, bush buck.

You’re gonna hate this...

2020 whitetail bush buck

99.8 grains (81.3% retention), 2215 fps impact. 2386 fps launch. Ruger American Ranch 16.1” barrel this time. Hornady Black. 198 yard bang flop. Quartering away, broke second last rib on way in and recovered three pieces all together in the offside brisket meat after it smashed through it, at least 18” penetration with bone to start and bone to finish. Bullet seems a little happier running slower. That’s 7 critters now, 6 big game and 1 coyote with 178 yard average shot distance and 4 yard average recovery distance. Full pics in the link. You made me break out the saw and really necro this one. Now we know the core was likely with the jacket on the muley too but because of the muley thread i went the extra mile for you guys. Usually the necro isn’t that high on my priority but it ended up the right morning for it. You must like apples.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CH4aeP5p...=1v54eqabwbxfx

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 11-21-2020 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:14 AM
Banned

My bad, 2049 fps impact velocity.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:45 AM
Banned

So the jacket and core separated again?
3 pieces doesn’t = 1
Old 11-22-2020, 10:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
So the jacket and core separated again?
3 pieces doesn’t = 1
Yup, this is what I like, rapid expansion with plenty of sd for game intended, carnage, leaving as much in the ring as possible. When 81.3% is in 2 main pieces with a small third piece of twisted expanded awesomeness at the tail end of its more than long enough journey then I am happy. Shoot what you like, this is just data.

Some added data. 1147 ft/lbs impact. A 24” barrel replicates this 16.1” barrel 200 yard performance at 325 yards. This 16.1” barrel still has 1800 fps at 350 yards.

#deergrenade

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 11-22-2020 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:44 AM
Banned

So these bullets maybe good at impact velocities below 2000 fps, not over
Gotcha
Old 11-22-2020, 11:54 AM

Stinky to tell you the truth I enjoy 99 percent of your post, but telling others to use a match bullet for hunting is the way to go is wrong advice.

To many young hunters will see how accurate they are on paper with a larger cartridge and blow a hole and leave some animal hurt to slowly die.

Shot placement with a good hunting bullet is the way to go, enjoy your hunts and remember what you think is right might not be for the rest.

Cheers and nice deer.

JD
Old 11-22-2020, 12:05 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Jeepers stinky your at it again.....ya got a big spoon for the pot your about to stir....I stand with what I said on another thread...match grade bullets should not be used on game....manufactures of these bullets indicate this and I am sure if you got them to respond to a email about this you would get the same response as you do here.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-22-2020, 12:41 PM
Banned

This isn’t even close to a lonely crusade. The amount of game that has been taken and will continue to be being taken with eld-m’s, a-max, Berger, ballistic tip etc. Is hardly anything new. They work really well at moderate velocity ranges and especially if they are long heavy for cal high sd, guys run em hotter too just fine, I really like them below 2700 fps launch. Alternately I could push a ttsx and pencil, just isn’t my preference. I’ve seen results both ways and I prefer some grenade, others don’t. This is simply a data thread. You can use the information however you like.

Have shown a variety of impacts and impact velocities from 16.1” to 24” barrels and 125 to 238 yards. Pretty typical Alberta hunting over 3 seasons. The readers can use the info how they like. But from way back running numbers to watching harvests for years, it was plain to see anywhere you’d choose a .243 or lighter recoiler for whatever reason, the 6.5 Grendel is up to the task, even with match bullets. These match bullets are what account for the bulk of all game taken with the cartridge all over the continent and beyond. This is just our own little sliver of examples to add to the collective.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 11-22-2020 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:05 PM

This topic is always interesting, and controversial. If I was hunting elk I would certainly want to use a bullet constructed for penetrating bone, but my experience hunting whitetail with heavy for caliber Hornady Amax match bullets (105 grains in 243, and 208 grain in 300 WSM) in Texas has resulted in recovery distances after impact ranging from bang/flop to 5 meters. That said, bullet speed at impact, shot placement, target species, etc. seem to be pretty important when deciding on using a match bullet for hunting. And while not my preference, FWIW, the Amax has also been effective on hogs -- who are generally tougher to get on the ground.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:27 PM

But according to Sierra, "The Match-King bullets are designed for pinpoint accuracy, with no consideration given to what might happen after impact. If the bullet has arrived on target accurately, its job is done at that point. Hunting bullets must perform in a certain manner after impact......

Old 11-22-2020, 02:58 PM

I'm no ballistics junkie or hand loader looking for the ultimate accuracy/performance formula, just your average hunter who buys good quality factory ammo that seems to work pretty darn well.
I do however have a comment on this thread and a number of other threads promoting the wonder of the 6.5 Grendel.
I have to wonder why anybody who would go to such lengths to seek confirmation and support of something or to promote what they clearly see as a remarkable discovery. There is no personal gain. It can only be to have people acknowledge the brilliance of discovering the wonders of the cartridge.

Find a rifle in a chambering you like and go hunting, most of us are getting along just fine with our .270 to 300 wm cartridges and have no need to post about the destruction and trauma caused by the particular round. Bullets cause trauma, I would prefer to talk about the animal and the experience rather than the hole the bullet made.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:37 PM
Banned

Agree with all you just said. Even with someone seeking confirmation or support. My confirmations are in the freezer and I need, or ask for, zero support. The cartridge is largely unheard of here, well it was.

Much like sticking up for the little guys, or bring people up to speed on something new. The 6.5 Creedmoor was met with all kinds of resistance in lots of places including here ...that’s what this has been. It’s an awesome cartridge, arguably the most versatile and efficient use of 30 grains of powder period, which is about the same as a 30-30.

Throwing modern design and bullets around that amount of powder is all this is. An educational experience. 30-30 released in 1895, 6.5 Grendel in 2004, 109 years apart. 30-30 effective range 150-200 yards, 6.5 Grendel triple that, and so it should after 109 years. Obviously it would be up to the shooter to be able to extract whatever from whatever but the potential is there for however much you’d like to extract as with all tools a wingnut may want to run.

We all have things we fall for, champion, or stand up for. Lots of resistance on this forum to the latest round of modern cartridges, most 6.5’s of some variant. I think 3 years of education is enough, I will carry on knowing it will do anything I will ask of it here in Alberta.

Tried to be entertaining as well as informative and I will still definitely tease about it from time to time.

Is it the best thing since sliced bread? No. It’s close but no. The most versatile cartridges for Alberta big game would start at 260 rem, 6.5 cm, 7-08 on the small end, 308, 270, 280, 30-06, 7 rem mag as my recommendations. I like 6.5 cm and .270 win most. Factory ammo is part of it but the rest in ballistics. Hand loaders and custom rifle guys can make almost any cartridge infinitely more versatile. Is the 6.5 Grendel a solid choice for lighter recoiling option where the .243 has been the go to for ages? Yup, it can do what factory loaded .243 can do, most anything we need inside 300 yards and it does it on a smaller platform.

Hope y’all enjoyed. Just gonna keep on doing our part, it makes doing our part super easy so no excuses should it not go our way one day, can only blame the shooter.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:56 PM

I guess to each their own, there is no doubt that the end result for you has been animals in the freezer and congrats to you and your boy on some successful hunts.

How you interpret what has happened with the bullet and what I interpret might be two different things. Frankly you've illustrated pretty well in these threads why I wouldn't ever pick up an eld-m for hunting. I personally like bullets that hold together a bit better. For a bullet to blast into 3 pieces upon hitting a RIB is not cool. Even for the simple reason that while some of it makes it through the vitals on a well placed shot, you might have pieces go into the guts. I've had it happen before with some speer boat tails loaded hot out of a 25-06. Don't use them anymore and they are a hunting bullet. No reason a well placed shot should turn into an ugly gutting job.

I do appreciate your intel on what is happening even though we may not see things the same way. Just don't understand what the point is you are trying to prove I guess.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:09 PM
Banned

The rib going in didn’t break it up, all the pieces were together touching with a bunch of shattered bone fragments from the front of the brisket. Had this deer been broadside not a chance of bullet recovery, just like one my kid shot at 238 last year. Only the angle helped on this deer. The super muley combined with taking out spine down angle from a ridge allowed it to stay in as well. Very few class two critters keep bullets from this cartridge inside them, including eld-m. And just to keep repeating, this is the performance potential I prefer, many want bullets in one piece wherever they may go. I like some carnage with adequate penetration and that’s what this set up does.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:21 PM

Interesting stuff!
It functions like a Berger as far as I can tell. Not sure what the griping is about with it being a match bullet.
And if the core separates, I don’t see it stopping all momentum and destruction.

You mention it’s how you like a bullet to perform, and it seems it’s not quite how I like them to perform, but I can respect that. Tissue damage kills. I like some bullet fragmentation but was concerned what the Speer spbt might be like at full speed. Seems those Grendel speeds are in a sweet spot for hunting performance. Clearly working for you too!
Old 11-23-2020, 05:01 PM
Banned

Thanks, and ya, i guess another way to look at it would be from a coyote perspective. Where most guys after fur are very specific about trying to match the sd and bullet construction and impact velocities such that they don't ever get exits and completely explode inside without splashing on the surface.

I just think similar for big game. I want a little more penetration than the coyote hunters of course but like the coyote hunters i also want to dump plenty of energy inside as well for those drt's or ultra short recoveries. I'd rather not have the bullet doing most of it's work in the hill side. I'm not interested in shooting game end to end or trying to go through both femurs...one is plenty, 1.5-2' through the soft stuff after thick rib cage is plenty.

I've seen plenty of kills with tough delayed controlled expansion bullets and they just haven't impressed me internally or even recovered distances as much as more rapid expansion offerings that still penetrate adequately for game intended. And many people much prefer the opposite, i don't think either option is wrong, dead is dead, it's just preference for a variety of reasons, risk acceptability etc.

So hopefully that adds some perspective to this. These long for caliber bullets with softer construction offer that penetration capability for bigger game while doing that sort of internal carnage expected from softer bullets. It's just a combo that i prefer. When you work with that you can get a lot more from the powder you burn imo. Just more efficient as you're actually doing more work inside the critter then some much higher recoiling options running much tougher bullets.

When people get to wondering why something so small can do lightning kills while some magnum flinging the toughest bullets gives underwhelming performance....that's what's going on. There is a relationship of bullet construction, sd appropriate for game, and impact velocities to match.

A heavy magnum example with a delayed controlled bullet may land with 2500 ft/lbs ke, open 1.75x, but dumped only 600 ft/lbs inside the critter with at 2" diam. wound channel and leave all the rest in the hillside. Where this Grendel whitetail example landed with 1047 ft/lbs and dumped every bit of it over 18" with awesome boiler room damage, while easily doing triple size expansion.

Shoot a coyote with it and it's simply too much so most of the work is done in the hillside. It's all relative. It's hard to believe when you hold the cartridge in your hand and look at the damage on a larger class 2 game(class 3 really showed as well)...that it's possible.

The magnum example here isn't even going to get tested until you have a heavy 3rd class animal that you need to end to end and get 4' of penetration. If that's the insurance you want by all mean shoot that. If you're ok with taking appropriate shots for what you're carrying then you can burn a ton less powder and see awesome results and more people will shoot it well too.

We aren't trophy hunting, we don't chase elk full time, we don't need to hammer them up the whazzoo on the run, we like to take the right shot opportunities and do our part. We get rewarded with quick harvests, low recovery distances (if at all), and for very little recoil and noise to boot.

We have so many choices, this is just one of them. Start with the bullet you like, and work it back from there, it will tell you what cartridges will drive it to your asks etc. This 6.5 Grendel the whole fam dam can shoot all day, targets, plinking, predator calling, and double down for our big game needs as well.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 11-23-2020 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:23 PM
Banned

Here’s a 147 gr eldm
Deer was shot in the spine with a 6.5 creedmoor at approximately 200 yards by a friend.
Not all match bullets are bad. Like I said before, This is similar to results I’ve had with most bergers I’ve found. Most are pass through a with large exit holes.
I don’t know if the 123’s are too short for hunting? All the pics show them peeling all the way down to the base. I just wouldn’t be able to trust a bullet that consistently blows up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2020, 09:24 AM

Whenever I recover a Barnes bullet, I’m glad, that it was a Barnes bullet.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-26-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Whenever I recover a Barnes bullet, I’m glad, that it was a Barnes bullet.
What’s the story on that Barnes?

Years ago I caught a 139gr GMX after it went quite a ways through a moose and then rattled around down the spine a couple feet.
Shot was 280m or so from a 7mm Rem Mag

Old 11-26-2020, 10:20 AM

A Whitetail and a bunch of bone. I’ve recovered lots of them, and they have always done some pretty heavy lifting.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-26-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
What’s the story on that Barnes?

Years ago I caught a 139gr GMX after it went quite a ways through a moose and then rattled around down the spine a couple feet.
Shot was 280m or so from a 7mm Rem Mag

Perfection!

Old 11-26-2020, 03:33 PM
Banned

If it hits solid bone and still has 50% or more of the initial weight that’s pretty good for me on deer
The bigger the critter, the higher the percentage
Old 11-26-2020, 03:52 PM

I think that Stinky needs to buy a 50 Beowulf to go with the Grendel, then he will have a whole fairy tale to tell us.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Agree with all you just said. Even with someone seeking confirmation or support. My confirmations are in the freezer and I need, or ask for, zero support. The cartridge is largely unheard of here, well it was.

Much like sticking up for the little guys, or bring people up to speed on something new. The 6.5 Creedmoor was met with all kinds of resistance in lots of places including here ...that’s what this has been. It’s an awesome cartridge, arguably the most versatile and efficient use of 30 grains of powder period, which is about the same as a 30-30.

Throwing modern design and bullets around that amount of powder is all this is. An educational experience. 30-30 released in 1895, 6.5 Grendel in 2004, 109 years apart. 30-30 effective range 150-200 yards, 6.5 Grendel triple that, and so it should after 109 years. Obviously it would be up to the shooter to be able to extract whatever from whatever but the potential is there for however much you’d like to extract as with all tools a wingnut may want to run.

We all have things we fall for, champion, or stand up for. Lots of resistance on this forum to the latest round of modern cartridges, most 6.5’s of some variant. I think 3 years of education is enough, I will carry on knowing it will do anything I will ask of it here in Alberta.

Tried to be entertaining as well as informative and I will still definitely tease about it from time to time.

Is it the best thing since sliced bread? No. It’s close but no. The most versatile cartridges for Alberta big game would start at 260 rem, 6.5 cm, 7-08 on the small end, 308, 270, 280, 30-06, 7 rem mag as my recommendations. I like 6.5 cm and .270 win most. Factory ammo is part of it but the rest in ballistics. Hand loaders and custom rifle guys can make almost any cartridge infinitely more versatile. Is the 6.5 Grendel a solid choice for lighter recoiling option where the .243 has been the go to for ages? Yup, it can do what factory loaded .243 can do, most anything we need inside 300 yards and it does it on a smaller platform.

Hope y’all enjoyed. Just gonna keep on doing our part, it makes doing our part super easy so no excuses should it not go our way one day, can only blame the shooter.
Ha, ha! Pretty shakey math! You are talking identical killing power, trajectory, and bullet sectional density at 500, and 600 yards. I used momentum, as the measure rather than KE, as it's a better measure.

The 30-30 starting out with the old traditional 170 gr. RN starting out at 2300 (using the new, modern Lever powder of course!) with 200 yd. zero (I'd probably zero at 150 in truth for the 30-30) drops 105" at 500 yards versus 106" at 600 for the Grendel with the super duper 123 grain ELD-M started at 2400.

SD for 170 .308, and 125 gr. .264, identical at .256.

185 300 gr./ft./sec. is the number I got for the 30-30 with impact velocity of 1090 at 500 yards. 186 960 is the number I got at 600 for the Grendel at 1520 ft./sec. Which puts the Grendel at having almost 1% more momentum at 100 yards farther down range. Of course I rounded down for MV for the 30-30 and up for the 6.5... The momentum number is unwieldy, but expedient for our purposes. Used momentum as the metric as pistol hunters can tell you all over the world, that it isn't KE that kills.

Point is that the 30-30 will do everything at 500 yds. the G gun will do at 600. And at closer range, the 30-30 with heavier (and less velocity sensitive) bullets is more comforting with bigger animals.

Plus the 30-30 is a better fit in a tube mag lever. Based on the shooting at ranges most of us shoot at the 30-30 is a better fit. Is this where I say, advantage 30-30? In a few years, the marketing will change, and the new, hot craze will be "real world hunting guns" and BC will be an afterthought..

The Grendel is a cool cartridge and I figured that it should have really taken off in the AR. If it were me; I'd likely feed it something like the 120 gr. Ballistic Tip which feature a nice tapered jacket, and will open up nice at low velocity, but hold together.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 11-27-2020, 08:43 AM

Now you've done it, you'll get stinky all revved up, at this very moment he is in the midst of typing a 3 pager on the merits of the grendel with light match bullets, oh boy

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-27-2020, 09:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Now you've done it, you'll get stinky all revved up, at this very moment he is in the midst of typing a 3 pager on the merits of the grendel with light match bullets, oh boy
Personally, I think light weight match bullets turn into varmint bullets on game
Old 11-27-2020, 09:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Personally, I think light weight match bullets turn into varmint bullets on game
Old 11-27-2020, 09:39 AM

Default 6.5 Grendel

That's a Nice DEAD whitey Buck there taken with the GREAT 6.5 Grendel cartridge ! Who cares what bullet killed it !

Cheers Jim
Old 11-29-2020, 05:45 AM

Quote:
I told you guys not to get stinky all revved up, now he's gone on holidays, oh boy

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-29-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
That's a Nice DEAD whitey Buck there taken with the GREAT 6.5 Grendel cartridge ! Who cares what bullet killed it !

Cheers Jim
A long time ago, in a province far away, a deer was killed with a 45 gr. varmint bullet going about 2700 fps. I mean it died, so who cares what it was killed with... Well I can tell you that a bullet that doesn't penetrate isn't ideal, by a long shot. Now I want something that penetrates and exits. I don't consider it "wasted" energy; I consider it insurance.

I don't think it takes some magical high number of foot pounds to kill a deer, but I do think using a bullet that holds together is a good idea. A little too close or hitting some bone, and those animals will run until found by coyotes.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!