Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-24-2020, 01:14 AM

I hunted 310, Spruce coop/ Cartwright ranch from 1985-90 aprx.
Got my first WT buck and my first elk down there.
All I can say is glad I moved north in ‘91, traffic picked up down there big time.
We don’t see anyone where we hunt now.

TBark
Old 11-24-2020, 10:30 PM

From his Facebook page. Not meaning to be judgmental, but I'd take offense.

Grizz
Old 11-25-2020, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
From his Facebook page. Not meaning to be judgmental, but I'd take offense.

Grizz
So what are you saying here? You figure he did that?
Old 11-25-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urcayuse View Post
So what are you saying here? You figure he did that?
The post that comes from claims this was a trespasser. Could be wrong but I think that's a 6 point zone, head hanging in the trees appear not to be and would be required for evidence of legality no matter what. Poor ethics at the least.

Grizz
Old 11-25-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
The post that comes from claims this was a trespasser. Could be wrong but I think that's a 6 point zone, head hanging in the trees appear not to be and would be required for evidence of legality no matter what. Poor ethics at the least.

Grizz
3 point or larger. You would need to hang onto it as you said.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:36 AM

I view it differently then you Grizz.

This is a very respectful act (towards the animal).

It's still a pretty common traditional spiritual practice for FN hunters to hang the head in a tree.
This is to allow the animal's spirit to continue to watch over its family and land.

Comparatively, this is much more respectful to the animal than hanging the head in the basement or throwing it in the bone pile.

FN hunters do not need to retain the antlers for evidence.

FN in Alberta do need to have "permission" to hunt on crown grazing leases.
Maybe they did, maybe they didn't....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-25-2020, 10:55 AM

I cant say this with certainty as who knows what happened, but it seems to be that the hunters were probably just coming back for their second load (maybe the next day) and had hung the head up so it doesn't get dragged away. Having hunted both the Spruce and all of the adjacent land before, no one allows quad retrieval so all animals must be packed out. As the poster above mentioned, not sure if Joe still allows quad use for some as I do remember that being the case...
Old 11-25-2020, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedrich Seifert View Post
Spruce COOP south of Longview Hunting and the Land Owner or Hunting Baron Joe Engelhart.
https://www.facebook.com/joe.engelhart.96

What takes place at Spruce COOP south of Longview during the hunting season every year is beyond all descriptions.
For many years the hunting season has been a solid cash cow for Joe Engelhart.
A select clique of friends has permanent access to a steady stream hunting opportunities. Influential "wealthy Italians" from Calgary come every year. !! Moose and Elk a la carte.
Transport of corpses and trips by Kubota cost extra cash in Engelhart's bags.

Joe Engelhart himself is hunting with a truck or a Kuboto but does not have a firearms license.

I have experienced this scenario for 2 years. I have worked there.

Hey Friedrich I think you got your facts incorrect, I’ve been hunting there for 32 years and the people with the influence is the grazing lease rights holders who go and come as they please and use there quads and last year truck to go hunting, while the rest of the hunters that go through Joe and the proper avenues on the grazing lease site, we get permission in the off season. At one time we could retrieve are own game with quads then four years ago it was retrieval by Joe or a ranch hand and for the past few years it’s been no retrieval at all other then on your own back or by horses if you happen to be lucky enough to know somebody or have your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2020, 10:48 PM

Default Facts!

Hey Friedrich, while I agree with you that what goes on at the Spruce Coop is indescribable between the way you have to camp in line for days on end the day after a long weekend to get permission, to the numerous times the truck or Kubota will drive past you while on foot packed with hunters, it really has become a place where rules only apply to good law abiding hunters. However your comment about “wealthy Italians” is completely in accurate and offensive. The Spruce Coop shutting down the ability to retrieve game on your own by quad, forcing you to pack out game on your back or Joe will pull it out for the cost of $100.00 per animal puts any hunter who access that area by foot a candidate to pay to have their game pulled out not just Italians. How is it “ethical” to suddenly say no to retrieving your game but we will go in with a truck or Kubota and change you to pull it out. I’m pretty sure that is illegal unless you own the land which of course they do not.
A few years back myself and 2 other members of our hunting party had started on foot 2 hours before sun up to get to the furthers north west border of the Coop at an attempt to get on elk we had scouted the night before only to have you, your son and Joe hunting off the Kubota pass is 10 minutes before we arrived at our destination and attempt at the elk your selfs and push them out of the area. The fact that you are now reaching out and pointing a finger is completely hypocritical as your are in the same classification as the ones who have no rules to abide to.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:32 AM

I have never been there and don't imagine I ever will be, but by the sounds of it this must be the best place in Alberta to hunt, I mean if guy's are lining up and camping out for days just to get on a list that allows them to spend a couple days in there hunting it must be like hunting heaven or something .

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.