Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2020, 10:48 AM

Default face masks

I thought the masks the government handed out in the spring were pretty good
They had a wire in them to form around your nose to stop your glasses from fogging up.
So yesterday I bought a box of 3 ply made in China masks and they have a piece of plastic instead of the wire and they do not form around your nose very well.
So what I am saying is beware of what type of masks you buy
Old 11-24-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
I thought the masks the government handed out in the spring were pretty good
They had a wire in them to form around your nose to stop your glasses from fogging up.
So yesterday I bought a box of 3 ply made in China masks and they have a piece of plastic instead of the wire and they do not form around your nose very well.
So what I am saying is beware of what type of masks you buy
Good point , dont buy stuff "made in china"!
Old 11-26-2020, 09:59 AM

Default mask

Best/safe mask is sold by Rexall on line. It was developed in Canada and had a 99% effective rate that killed virus. It protects both the person wearing mask and others. Even better than N95 mask that does not kill virus.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Best/safe mask is sold by Rexall on line. It was developed in Canada and had a 99% effective rate that killed virus. It protects both the person wearing mask and others. Even better than N95 mask that does not kill virus.
How does it kill virus's?
Old 11-26-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Do you have a link? I can’t find them. Looking to buy some masks.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Exactly what I would like to know?
Old 11-26-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Soak it in bleach?
Old 11-26-2020, 10:31 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Lysol....spray'em after you use'em....hang to dry...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-26-2020, 10:44 AM

Check here first if you are using imported KN95

https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recal...73137a-eng.php

I found this mask at Hazmasters and its German made https://www.hazmasters.com/products/...v?page=3&q=N95
Old 11-26-2020, 10:47 AM

I just keep a bandana around my neck. Pull it over nose when mask is needed. Buy three and throw them in the wash every day. The amount of throw away masks littered on the ground is staggering. Pretty soon folks will be complaining about the masks at the bottom of the ocean lol....
Old 11-26-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
I just keep a bandana around my neck. Pull it over nose when mask is needed. Buy three and throw them in the wash every day. The amount of throw away masks littered on the ground is staggering. Pretty soon folks will be complaining about the masks at the bottom of the ocean lol....
Tried that, but find it pretty uncomfortable. Regular procedure masks, on the other hand, I can wear for hours without discomfort. So looking for something made of good cloth that can replace these paper masks for me.

What are you all wearing?
Old 11-26-2020, 11:06 AM

I use a buff. Pretty much the same as a bandana. Just pull it up when I need to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2020, 11:09 AM

Default Rexall mask

The Rexall mask is sold online through "Well.ca" Although the Quebec Biotec company have a 12 page patent it uses 'iodine' to kill the covid virus. It was tested at University of Toronto in their level 3 lab. The mask is called Triomed, they come at 5 to pkge for around $9.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:10 AM

Exclamation People never gonna learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearNoFish View Post
Check here first if you are using imported KN95

https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recal...73137a-eng.php

I found this mask at Hazmasters and its German made https://www.hazmasters.com/products/...v?page=3&q=N95
Good link. Not surprised to see a common theme in the list of manufacturers.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 11-26-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Right! People complaining about straws and coffee cups yet I’ve seen way more masks flying around parking lots than either of those lately. People are pigs!
Old 11-26-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Especially seeing as a virus is non-living.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
We're being fed a lot of BS, same with sanitizer. Everybody sees an opportunity and it doesn't always work in our favor.

Grizz
Old 11-26-2020, 11:29 AM

Ford/Obsessed, I do not recommend the bandana as mask, very porus. The covid virus around 0.5 micron. Cotton t shirt fabric though will catch about 70% of virus. I did bunch of research on masks, trying to develop my own, then when "Triomed" mask came out realized I had been out classed by them.

Last edited by Big Grey Wolf; 11-26-2020 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Ford, I do not recommend the bandana as mask, very porus. The covid virus around 0.5 micron. Cotton t shirt fabric though will catch about 70% of virus. I did bunch of research on masks, trying to develop my own, then when "Triomed" mask came out realized I had been out classed by them.
I’ll have to look into them. I wear buffs at work and due to the nature of my work sooner or later I’ll encounter or have already encountered someone with Covid. I just do what I can to keep my hands clean and practice proper hygiene. No matter what I do sooner or later I figure I’ll probably get the bug. Occupational hazard of being in a emergency service/first responder line of work.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:38 AM

Good thing you guys live in Alberta. Saskatchewan Health specifically says that bandanas and gaitors are not acceptable where masks are required.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
The Rexall mask is sold online through "Well.ca" Although the Quebec Biotec company have a 12 page patent it uses 'iodine' to kill the covid virus. It was tested at University of Toronto in their level 3 lab. The mask is called Triomed, they come at 5 to pkge for around $9.
I read the article below, and their claims can easily be misunderstood.

https://www.healthing.ca/news/u-of-t...rs-cov-2-virus

This statement caught my attention.

Quote:
“But also, if someone was beside me and they were infected and they talked to me and it got on the outside of my mask, or if my hands were contaminated and I touch my mask, then it should deactivate that. It should in theory, have a protective effect.”
In other words, their tests haven't proven that it kills 99% of the virus particles that you might inhale, in theory, they say, it can kill what actually gets trapped in the mask.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 11-26-2020 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
Good thing you guys live in Alberta. Saskatchewan Health specifically says that bandanas and gaitors are not acceptable where masks are required.
When I walked in to one site, that's what they handed us, spandex style buffs. my masks have come from 7-11 stores. They are $ each and I have a few of them so I can change them out. These days I find myself going out very little so I wear them for 10-45 minutes. They come off and get washed.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post

Alberta just says masks or face coverings

Old 11-26-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweld View Post
Alberta just says masks or face coverings

This should be acceptable for a Tinder date then Talking moose.

img_3504.jpg
Old 11-26-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Ford/Obsessed, I do not recommend the bandana as mask, very porus. The covid virus around 0.5 micron. Cotton t shirt fabric though will catch about 70% of virus. I did bunch of research on masks, trying to develop my own, then when "Triomed" mask came out realized I had been out classed by them.
fortunately I don't care what you think about it. Government claims they work just as well and I don't have the money to buy throw away masks for myself/ wife and 6 kids. All those throw aways tossed all over the parking lots are an eye sore.

Last edited by obsessed1; 11-26-2020 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:56 PM

The mask idea is good. The masks themselves are garbage. I took one of the disposable blue ones to work with me one day. After sweeping out the shop i blew my nose and the kleenex was full of dirt. If people think these masks or homemade ones are going to stop a .1 micron particle you're fooling yourself. Look at the outbreaks in Calgary and Edmonton and nursing homes across the country.

I do wear a mask wherever i go that requires a mask. It's not hard to put a mask on. Sure they fog up glasses but they do not restrict any airflow.

When the crap actually hits the fan i have 2 half-mask respirators that actually seal around your mouth and nose. I can get cartridges that will actually filter down to .1 micron.

Fyi. Some N95 masks are 95% effective on microns .3 and larger. They will not filter out covid-19. But if someone infected sneezes in your face it's better than nothing.

There are too many people that think a mask will protect me 100%. They become complacent.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
This should be acceptable for a Tinder date then Talking moose.

Attachment 169042
That IS TalkingMoose
Old 11-26-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Covid 19 is 0.12 microns.
Cotton fabric will not catch any of the virus unless it's mixed in with mucous or spit then the fabric will catch some of it.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Government claims they work just as well
No one thinks that bandanas work as well as proper masks. Some government agencies, such as Alberta's, allow bandanas as well as masks. Others, such as Saskatchewan's, do not. The research is clear, however, that neck gaiters and bandanas are not as good as masks. https://ncceh.ca/documents/guide/mas...id-19-pandemic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
Covid 19 is 0.12 microns.
Cotton fabric will not catch any of the virus unless it's mixed in with mucous or spit then the fabric will catch some of it.
Almost all viruses are expelled on fomites and cloth masks have turned out to be quite good at trapping them. Some cloth masks are also relatively good at stopping the particles before they can be inhaled.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:47 PM

Bought one of those clear plastic face shields from amazon. Keeps me safe and people can see my facial expressions. Also individuals who are hard of hearing can read my lips. To clean just wash with Lysol and let dry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCC0BAC1-9499-4F47-B15A-960DDF424AE9.jpg (15.3 KB, 66 views)