Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-24-2020, 06:49 PM

Default Stiga 6.5x55

On Friday I received a Stiga 6.5x55 from Trade ex. After a cleanup, installing a scope, and building some test shells for it, I decided I had better take it to the range and test it before Kenny closes it. I shot ten 2 shot groups, from 44 to 48.5 grains of H4831 under 140grn bullets. Every group came in under 1" a couple at 1/4" @100 meters. I shot the same loads with my CG 96 sporter as a comparison, here the groups ranged fron 2" to 3/8" with only (4) 2 shot groups coming in less than 1". The Stiga has a Shultz and Larsen barrel, definitely a good purchase. So I had a very good day at the range.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
On Friday I received a Stiga 6.5x55 from Trade ex. After a cleanup, installing a scope, and building some test shells for it, I decided I had better take it to the range and test it before Kenny closes it. I shot ten 2 shot groups, from 44 to 48.5 grains of H4831 under 140grn bullets. Every group came in under 1" a couple at 1/4" @100 meters. I shot the same loads with my CG 96 sporter as a comparison, here the groups ranged fron 2" to 3/8" with only (4) 2 shot groups coming in less than 1". The Stiga has a Shultz and Larsen barrel, definitely a good purchase. So I had a very good day at the range.
I have owned a couple of Stigas from Trade , great rifles!
Cat
Old 11-28-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have owned a couple of Stigas from Trade , great rifles!
Cat
Been looking at those but one of the BSA'S looks in really nice shape. There's also that fullstock Swede that I really hope someone buys before I cave.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Been looking at those but one of the BSA'S looks in really nice shape. There's also that fullstock Swede that I really hope someone buys before I cave.
I really thought I should buy that one as well, but Holy Jeepers I am trying to downsize as it is, and it is not going well! LOL
Cat
Old 11-28-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I really thought I should buy that one as well, but Holy Jeepers I am trying to downsize as it is, and it is not going well! LOL
Cat
Same here. Downsized too much though and now realize I need a small caliber deer rifle for hunting the timber.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:53 PM

Default D4350 powder

I took the same stiga rifle to the range today, with (10) two shot groups from 40.5 gr to 45 grains in 1/2 gr intervals. Again all but 2 groups ran from 3/16" to less than 3/4". The Stiga with Dominion 4350 another awesome combination.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I took the same stiga rifle to the range today, with (10) two shot groups from 40.5 gr to 45 grains in 1/2 gr intervals. Again all but 2 groups ran from 3/16" to less than 3/4". The Stiga with Dominion 4350 another awesome combination.
Which bullet?
Old 12-02-2020, 02:47 PM

the bullet is the Hornady interlock 140 gr.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
the bullet is the Hornady interlock 140 gr.
That 140gr IL Hornady, and the Accubond 130gr are the most accurate bullets I have shot in my Tikka 6.5x55, both over RE22.
Old 12-02-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Cat
Was that the Viking? I was eying that one up pretty hard, as well as a Husky before the season.

Fortunately I realized that I already own a couple of the best rifles in the world, and didn't cave... since I now want to spend that money on a Gibson guitar that I also dont really need
Old 12-02-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Was that the Viking? I was eying that one up pretty hard, as well as a Husky before the season.

Fortunately I realized that I already own a couple of the best rifles in the world, and didn't cave... since I now want to spend that money on a Gibson guitar that I also dont really need
I think so, yes.
Cat