Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-25-2012, 03:15 PM

Default Cell phone service across AB

I'm not sure who's using what service provider but I am pretty confident that Rogers must have the absolute worst service in Alberta. Im usually the only person in our hunting group that will have zero service in most given areas , any work camp means no service. I can't watch videos or download apps unless I'm home around wifi. It's just terrible.

Who has the best or most reliable service and what are you paying per month? We're 240ish on a family plan. 2 iPhones.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:22 PM

I use bell. Pretty decent coverage. I bought a $100 booster from the source. Not many places I can't get at least 1 bar
Old 10-25-2012, 03:28 PM

Telus/bell is the best for rural coverage anywhere in western canada (AB/BC/SK).

I'm personally with Telus. 2 smartphones $145/month one with 6GB other with 1GB.

In order for a booster to work, there must be a signal to be booster. Travelling throughout sk, I was on Rogers with a booster, couldn't get ANY service unless I was close to a major highway, or major city. I came home and changed providers asap. Much happier now.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:32 PM

Virgin!!! Uses the same towers as telus and bell. Tell and belus can both pound sand as far as I'm concerned.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:34 PM
Banned

I had to change my service from Rogers to Telus for that same reason. Telus provides the best service in the rural areas that I frequent.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:54 PM

Telus.
Add a 3watt wilson booster and it is much better, still not perfect though.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:58 PM

Telus (and bell cause they use telus towers) has the widest coverage in Alberta,
Rogers has the worste
Old 10-25-2012, 04:00 PM

Telus has been good for me. I can stand on a stump in moose camp(14 kms from the road) and call out with my blackberry and the old flip phone before it. My friend with rodgers cant and has lots of dropped calls.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:07 PM

I am east of High River and am with Bell. My wife and I both get dropped calls from our home, but seems good everywhere else
Old 10-25-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwhiskey View Post
Virgin!!! Uses the same towers as telus and bell. Tell and belus can both pound sand as far as I'm concerned.
Virgin Mobile Canada is a wholly owned subsidary of Bell Mobility. Sorry.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin455 View Post
Virgin Mobile Canada is a wholly owned subsidary of Bell Mobility. Sorry.
Same as my Koodo which is owned by Telus. Service has been very good. I'm a tight wad, yet still happy enough with the value/package that I have.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:12 PM

Default Telus

Definately Telus, best coverage and stores in more rural communities then the rest. I am baised, because i own a Telus dealership
Old 10-25-2012, 05:17 PM

I was with rogers a few years ago they wanted a couple hundred bucks to get out my contract when i told them i get zero reception when im out working west of Caroline they cancelled for free now with telus
Old 10-25-2012, 07:22 PM
Banned

I'm on Rogers so I feel your pain. I don't travel out to the wilderness at all, mostly city so it doesn't bother me.

Told telus to take a flying leap after my last contract ended. Had to fight with Bell to kill my phone when I switched to Rogers for business. They couldn't match what Rogers was offering and they got mad at me for not staying with them.

Canada sucks for cellular.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
Same as my Koodo which is owned by Telus. Service has been very good. I'm a tight wad, yet still happy enough with the value/package that I have.
Another vote for Koodo. Even though I'm still technically dealing with the Telus D-bags I'm getting a better deal than I was with Telus and the same coverage.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 10-25-2012, 09:26 PM

I'm in spruce grove and have had problems with connection when with Rogers! WTF in a big way.

Out hunting and the kids with Koodoos and tells or any other provider have connection and Im the moron with Rogers trying to get a signal on a ridge 5K form a major center. Everyone around me, can surf the web, and has 5 bars.

I would not Ps on a Rogers phone after the crap I dealt with with them.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:31 PM

I would advise tin cans and a string, as a better option than Rogers. I have even had connection problems in the outskirts of Edmonton.

Rogers Suck! And are the biggest crooks out there!
Old 10-25-2012, 10:33 PM

X5 on tells , I've been with them going o12 years not an issue and when I've had issues in the past they are fixed in a timely manor while I'm on the phone to them .

Example . When I went from my old phone to my I phone I ended up with an 800 dollar bill , I called as this was not right they got rid of those changes also gave me a better plan that cost me I think 30 dollars a month . As I tend to do a lot of long distance calling , with my business .so I have unlimited northamerica long distance , 3000 daytime minutes list goes on and on I pay a 150 a month and never have to worry who I'm calling at what hour I'm calling .
Old 10-26-2012, 12:15 AM

Been with telus since 94
had a rogers phone, may as well just yell
if you are not a jumper telus will allmost do anything you ask
cant see changing
Old 10-26-2012, 04:11 AM

Rogers is good if your in a city, along highway 1, 2 and most of 16. Otherwise you are probably screwed... I have a G3 w/ the biggest data plan through Bell and I pay about 80/month +/-.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:13 AM

Also, when I was about 19 I got my first phone, a pay as you go Rogers, which was HORRIBLE for EVERYTHING. I was dumb enough to get the road side assitance plan they offered...and learned that I should of asked some important questions, such as "How far of a tow does the plan cover?" And the answer to that is 10km, then your responsible for the rest. Handy if you live in downtown Toronto and your 5km away from 30 garages...not so handy if your in the boonies Manitoba...
Old 10-26-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylow? View Post
I'm not sure who's using what service provider but I am pretty confident that Rogers must have the absolute worst service in Alberta. Im usually the only person in our hunting group that will have zero service in most given areas , any work camp means no service. I can't watch videos or download apps unless I'm home around wifi. It's just terrible.

Who has the best or most reliable service and what are you paying per month? We're 240ish on a family plan. 2 iPhones.
There's your problem. You own iPhones. *barf*
Old 10-26-2012, 08:55 AM

I'm with Rogers and I love it. As soon as I drive away from Calgary my service stops and no one can contact me while enjoying nature.

My gf is with Bell so if any issues arise we can always use her phone to call for help
Old 10-26-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
I'm in spruce grove and have had problems with connection when with Rogers! WTF in a big way.

Out hunting and the kids with Koodoos and tells or any other provider have connection and Im the moron with Rogers trying to get a signal on a ridge 5K form a major center. Everyone around me, can surf the web, and has 5 bars.

I would not Ps on a Rogers phone after the crap I dealt with with them.
Haha... I feel your pain. I'm about 8km's from Stony Plain, 2km's from the Yellowhead and those who come here with Roger's are real happy if they get one bar....
Old 10-26-2012, 10:27 AM

I work in the patch, Telus or bust!!!