Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-26-2020, 09:04 AM

Default Help me pick a new .223 rifle...

Well as the title says, I am looking for an affordable, accurate and handy (small) rifle in .223 since I do have a ton of .223 ammo I can no longer use thanks to the Liberals.

What are some good options for me to browse? I have looked at the Mossberg MVP predator and its a nice little rifle, takes AR magazines which is super handy as well but I got to handle one last week and it didn't strike me with great build quality which made me wonder what the accuracy would be like.

I am not against a youth model as well, I know it will be a little small for me but much better for my wife and growing daughter.

So long story short, give me some suggestions and why you would recommend said model.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:15 AM

I just picked up a ruger gunsite scout in 223/5.56. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I've had it's big brother in .308 for years and it has proven to be a handy, reliable and accurate rifle.

They take acis and ruger proprietary polymer mags that aren't cheap, but no one is mag-dumping a bolt gun unless you're trying to do a mad minute.

The Hawkeye action can't be adopted for stanag magazines, but ruger also makes the American in 223/5.56 that does.

I'm a lefty, so the American isn't an option for me.

CZ also makes a good .223 bolt gun and there is the Zastava M85 - it's not a Mauser action like their big brothers, but a modified Sako action.

I'm sure there are others, but that's all I got.

I also have a Kel Tec RDB I might be willing to part with. It's not on the ban list.

Colin
Old 10-26-2020, 09:20 AM

CZ pretty hard to beat, Tikka is great choice as well. not super cheap BUT resale is better and build quality is far superior.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
CZ pretty hard to beat, Tikka is great choice as well. not super cheap BUT resale is better and build quality is far superior.

The thing I have learned; buy the one you like. If not, every time you go to take it out to shoot, you will regret it....Then try selling it.

I am with 6.5 on this, buy a nice one and he has two excellent examples of many that are out there.

Good luck,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:07 AM

My 8” twist Tikka T3 is amazingly accurate.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:09 AM

One thing that I should have mentioned is that it would be really handy to be able to use my AR magazines as well if possible.

Looks like the only two that offer that are the MVP Mossberg and the Ruger american ranch.

Are rugers known for decent accuracy, or has anyone here had any direct experience with one?
Old 10-26-2020, 10:15 AM

I'll get on the Tikka train on this one. I own a couple including one in 223.

Accuracy is good.
Build quality is good.
Lightweight
20 and 22 inch barrel options.
8 and 12 inch twist options.
A reasonable stock that you don't have to worry about

And, as others have said, the resale is good. Some guns I jokingly refer to as 'Heirloom Quality" in that you'll never be able to sell them and will be taking them to your grave. IMO, spend a bit more and get something of decent quality.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:11 AM

I had a Tikka .223 with a sporter weight barrel
It shot well
However, after about 3 rounds in a short interval, the barrel really got warm.
If you want to avoid that, you may want a heavier barrel, which of course makes it heavier and less convenient if you want to do a lot of walking.
Food for thought!
Old 10-26-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdsl View Post
One thing that I should have mentioned is that it would be really handy to be able to use my AR magazines as well if possible.

Looks like the only two that offer that are the MVP Mossberg and the Ruger american ranch.

Are rugers known for decent accuracy, or has anyone here had any direct experience with one?
The Tikka, Sako, CZ models are all known for their accuracy and it's rare to find one that isn't and moa shooter (at least) out of the box.

Rugers are quite accurate. The M77 Hawkeyes often can need a little fiddling. The Americans are pretty good. I've heard good things.

I took your original query to mean you we looking for a 200 yd plinker or coyote gun - something you may spend a good bit of time shooting off hand. Maybe something with iron sights. Of the models I listed above only the American doesn't come with factory iron sights. They are all short, handy carbines.

Another option - which I know little about - is the Troy SAR. It's a straight pull bolt action AR. They also make the PAR, a pump action model. Both take many AR parts including grips, stocks and triggers and use STANAG magazines.

If you're wanting something to shoot the wings off a fly at 500 yds I'd buy a Tikka Varmint or CTR. I have a CTR in .308 that regularly shoots half moa. Ringing the 500 meter gong is easy. For me that's good - I tend to be a stand up 50 yard or less pop can plinker. Just getting into the longer range game.

Colin
Old 10-26-2020, 12:52 PM

I have a Tikka T3 (1/8 twist) stainless/laminate that is super accurate and a pleasure to shoot. My one peeve it is a short action built on a long action but I can overlook this. The Savage 223's I had were every bit as accurate as the Tikka but certain features of the Savage turned me off and the fit was not as good.
My son has a Remington 223 that is very accurate and he changed out the bottom metal so it fits AR mags, this can be done with Tikka's as well. May require some inletting.
The 223 is a great fun round, good luck with your decision & happy shooting.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 10-26-2020, 12:59 PM

Default my vote

Rem 783HB. Under $600, sometimes under $550. Awesome action to rebarrel later, if you want. I love mine.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:09 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
I have one in 5.56. Short barrel.

It is amazingly accurate.
Picked up a bunch of cheap Russian Barnaul ammo for it.
With that cheap stuff, it averages around 0.4" groups at 100 yards.

With Fed Premiums, it will shoot one hole groups.

I am happy with it and won't be letting it go.

Cheers,
Nog
Old 10-26-2020, 01:52 PM

I have a Weatherby vanguard II for a $500 rifle I was impressed 1-9 twist, trigger is smooth, accuracy is good comes with a top feed system that can easily be changed to AR mags Prophet river has the mag conversion in stock.

https://store.prophetriver.com/adapt...und-atik5r223/
Old 10-26-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
My 8” twist Tikka T3 is amazingly accurate.
This kind of accuracy from a sporter barrel is my idea of amazing. 3 shots at 100 meters. Picked a load from a manual, old Hornady 55 SX bullets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5C36590B-7C83-492B-8D98-38190BCD0F4E.jpg (23.0 KB, 52 views)
Old 10-26-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
I have one in 5.56. Short barrel.

It is amazingly accurate.
Picked up a bunch of cheap Russian Barnaul ammo for it.
With that cheap stuff, it averages around 0.4" groups at 100 yards.

With Fed Premiums, it will shoot one hole groups.

I am happy with it and won't be letting it go.

Cheers,
Nog
Thats great news, I was curious if the stubby barrel would affect its performance much. They seem to have a fairly positive opinion in general, I need to find a store with one in stock that I can hold it and check the fit.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
This kind of accuracy from a sporter barrel is my idea of amazing. 3 shots at 100 meters. Picked a load from a manual, old Hornady 55 SX bullets.
That is pretty incredible accuracy out of the box, I have always heard guys rave about how great the Tikka rifles are.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:13 PM

If cheap is the main quality you are looking for I have a Savage Axis in 223 that I bought for the sole purpose is free hand gong practice. I did put a Timney trigger in it as the factory one was ridiculously heavy. I have shot this thing until I though the tupperware stock was going to melt. It is still impressively accurate. Once I completely kill this one, I will remove the scope and trigger spend another $300 and get another. For the price of these things new I cant buy a barrel blank.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:42 AM
Banned

Quote:

The ruger americans have a very good reputation for accuracy. I just set one of the new ranch in 6.5 grendel up for this year, and i did a quick little break in shoot 3 clean, shoot 4 clean, shoot 5 clean and then looked down the bore and lined the scope up on something about 100 yards out. Then laid down at 200 yards in a field and first two on paper were touching...a very good sign. Walked it into it's zero at 200 in not many shots and then collected drop data to 500 yards right after. Pretty straight forward. It shot my typical for me with an accurate gun 1/2 moa 3 shot group for one group then i'd shoot a 1 moa group right after and go back and forth like that. It did that whether i was at 200 or 500 yards. Factory ammo. I then drug it up a mountain and killed my ewe this year with it at 170 yards, great little gun.

I really like the feel of the stock. It needs nothing from a gunsmith, dual aluminum v-block bedding with pillars means it locks up great. The trigger is excellent and easy to adjust, you can get it lighter than stock by watching a youtube to see which spring to yank and cut a coil or two off, super easy.

I think you need to cycle it with a little more authority due to the AR magazines and the stout springs. Also if you tinker or reload the bottom of bolt inletting could benefit from some polishing to help that but also keep from scoring the brass. I don't reload so this is of no issue to me but i did polish up just to aid in feeding smoothness and effort, not sure i can tell but didn't put much thought into it, just assume it's better and if i know about a tweak or a tune i'll likely do it to keep my brain happy.

Feels good, handles good, shoots good. A perfect use the heck out of it without babying it kind of rifle imo. Good value.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:55 AM
Banned

Remington 783 or Rem 700 ADL. Both would be good as well. I know everyone is saying that the quality of Remington isn't what it used tk be, and that may be true but I haven't had an issue yet. Both tht I mentioned are around the $500 mark. The benefit of the 700 is the aftermarket.
Another one that would be on my short list would be the Weatherby Vanguard or Howard 1500.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:08 AM

This is a good one....

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-euro-varmint-223-rem/
Old 10-27-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
Very nice rifle, but much too rich for my blood. The CZ are nice but also a little more money than I want to spend, plus a shorter barrel is really what I am after.