Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
The Real Gunsmith guy also says that the 6.5 creed ore is nothing more than a 600 yard target round.
While I agree that 6.5CM is just another round, it is a decent hunting round, and has proven to be effective for accuracy at distances over 1000.

I’m not wild on him. He just seems to be one of those crusty, grumpy grandpas with a “back in my day” attitude. Obviously a vast combination of knowledge and opinion, but I think the opinion sometimes is just to great. Maybe fear of the unknown compared to what he does know?
Yeah, when people make statements like that I wonder of they have actually ever shot those cartridges past 200 meters.
I take what that guy says with a grain of salt, in fact I think I sat through exactly 45 seconds of the first and only yutube video of his I ever watched
Cat
Old 11-19-2020, 09:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Yeah, when people make statements like that I wonder of they have actually ever shot those cartridges past 200 meters.
I take what that guy says with a grain of salt, in fact I think I sat through exactly 45 seconds of the first and only yutube video of his I ever watched
Cat
Believe me, I'd rather listen to a guy like you who nas no problems shooting any different cartridge and seeing what they can do. I think there is more real world shooting experience here from a few guys than that guy seems to portray. There are few that I respect opinions of from YouTube, Eric Cortina being one. He ultimately says that what he does works for him and that you may do something different that works for you.

Cat, Elkhunter11, Dick, and a few others here have garnered respect from me for a reason. Sometimes the responses aren't delicate from some, but they always seem to be spot on.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psale63 View Post
I'm looking at buying a 7mm Rem Mag as my go to rifle for deer, moose and elk etc. I was comparing the Nosler load data of the Rem Mag and 30-06 (my current go to rifle) and was surprised to see the bullet velocities were very similar for 150gr to 165gr bullets between the two which now has me reconsidering the Rem Mag.

Are these two cartridges that comparable or have the lawyers gotten their fingers in this and muddied the waters? I do intend to maximize the cartridges capabilities through hand loading.

What's the deal with the Rem Mag?
Both cartridges are great options for deer, moose, and elk. Arguably the 7mm is flatter for the rare occasion you'll be faced with that long a shot.

If you're maximizing cartridge capability through hand loading, you're probably talking more about target shooting and, lets face it, hobby handloading because its cool and fun, not hunting (not trying to be glib, just saying).

I like and use a 7mm. Its a great rifle. Sometimes the 26" barrel feels cumbersome. I don't think 30-06 have longer barrels like this.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psale63 View Post
It's interesting that you mention stepping up to a larger cartridge altogether, the other rifle I am considering is a 338 Win Mag. I might have a closer look and give this round a try for Elk and Moose. Seems the 7mm might be too close to the 06 for me to notice a significant difference.

I'll have deer hunts covered with my 257 Roberts AI or 300 Sav.!
.338 is wunderbar, but then so is the 9.3x62 or .375 H&H... just not real shoot em on the next ridge kinda cartridges.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:58 AM

Interesting thread !. Lots of real hot loads listed on here.
Makes me wonder why so many ardent handloaders dont invest in a copy of Quickload, tweak thier loads to actual velocities obtained by chronograph and get as close to actual pressures as can possibly be obtained without an actual pressure trace. It beats guessing all to Hell.
Old 11-19-2020, 02:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Interesting thread !. Lots of real hot loads listed on here.
Makes me wonder why so many ardent handloaders dont invest in a copy of Quickload, tweak thier loads to actual velocities obtained by chronograph and get as close to actual pressures as can possibly be obtained without an actual pressure trace. It beats guessing all to Hell.

Here’s my recipe for my rifle. My buddies 7mm Rem Mag, same powder, brass, primers, and bullets is about 1 grain different.

58.5gr H4350
CCI primer
150gr Hornady ELD X
Hornady brass
Avg velocity is 2820 fps
ES 25 SD 13.7
Smallest measured group was 0.26moa, biggest was 0.488” at 100 yards.

This is what I used this year. 200 yard moose, 195 yards mule.

Not horribly happy with SD and ES but it’s not horrible either. I have another load that has single digit spreads and 30 FPS lower velocity.

My buddies 7mm is 57.3gr H4350 and shooting 2823 FPS. This shoots just north of 0.5 MOA. The ES and SD are rather large, and getting into the single digit real, velocity didn’t change much, 25 FPS slower, but it went to 2.77 MOA at 100 yards.
Old 11-19-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
Here’s my recipe for my rifle. My buddies 7mm Rem Mag, same powder, brass, primers, and bullets is about 1 grain different.

58.5gr H4350
CCI primer
150gr Hornady ELD X
Hornady brass
Avg velocity is 2820 fps
ES 25 SD 13.7
Smallest measured group was 0.26moa, biggest was 0.488” at 100 yards.

This is what I used this year. 200 yard moose, 195 yards mule.

Not horribly happy with SD and ES but it’s not horrible either. I have another load that has single digit spreads and 30 FPS lower velocity.

My buddies 7mm is 57.3gr H4350 and shooting 2823 FPS. This shoots just north of 0.5 MOA. The ES and SD are rather large, and getting into the single digit real, velocity didn’t change much, 25 FPS slower, but it went to 2.77 MOA at 100 yards.
Those are some mild loads for a 7mmremmag. My own 150 gr loads for rhe 7mmremmag typically run 3000-3100 fps.
Old 11-19-2020, 02:26 PM
Banned

Yeah, you had mentioned that. I figured once I got to that kind of groupings on mine, I didn’t need to push. Now that I’m tagged out, I might try a bit more with some hotter loads and see if I can bump those up some. I’m not seeing any signs of over pressure so I know I can still go up. The manuals I have don’t have H4350 listed for a 150gr ELDX so I’m just playing it a little more cautious in how fast I go up in charge.
Old 11-19-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Those are some mild loads for a 7mmremmag. My own 150 gr loads for rhe 7mmremmag typically run 3000-3100 fps.
Agreed. I have no problem getting 150's well over 2900 with my 280 Rem.
I also had no problem pushing 160's north of 3100 in my 7 mag (24") using 7828 or RL 22, with case life of at least 8 loads, and no pressure signs of any kind.
Old 11-19-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
Agreed. I have no problem getting 150's well over 2900 with my 280 Rem.
I also had no problem pushing 160's north of 3100 in my 7 mag (24") using 7828 or RL 22, with case life of at least 8 loads, and no pressure signs of any kind.
I found the same with those powders got a little more velocity with a 26 inch barrel.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:31 PM

my 7mm is my go to rifle . May try my 308 out this year but everything Ive shot with the 7 died . Fusion 150s for deer 175 for the moose . Muley buck went 20 yards this year . Great caliber imo
Old 11-20-2020, 02:38 AM

nice
Old 11-20-2020, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helluvahunter View Post
Well I strongly suggest that "The Real Gunsmith must be an absolute liar on his experience with the 7mm. Thanks catnthehat and Elkhunter11and Dick284 and Chuck for pointing this out or I would have never known. The true gurus of the gun and cartridge world. Thank you very much for educating all of us that this guy must know absolutely nothing about the 7mm or anything gun related for that matter after watching your 45 seconds of video. After all he has built some of the most accurate rifles out there but hey what would he know. The velocity he is getting with 160gr bullets well the pressures just got to be EXACTLY 75,000-80,000psi because catnthehat, elkhunter11, and dick284 said so so it's just got to be right right ? After all you guys are educated gunsmiths with at least 10-20-30-50 years experience building and developing custom loads under your belts right fellas ? Coming from a guy who praises the 303 he's gotta know what he's talking about right ? Or dick284 who quotes just about everything that catnthehat says as being the gospel truth. Elk hunter speaks a lot of sence on here and he is a .284 guy such as myself and knows a lot of the caliber but to post what you said was just ignorant. Catnthehat you would further your knowledge if you watched more than 45 seconds of his videos I guarantee. Do any of you guys build custom rifles ? I know by reading posts that some of you custom reload for others but do you actually in reality know everything there is to know about rifles chambers bullets pressures and powders ? See this is the thing right here if catnthehat says omg dont do that most people **** themselves and dont do it. If dick284 says omg the pressure has to be 80,000psi well its just got to be true. The problem here is that most everyone has put these guys on a pedestal like they are the ONLY ones to ask about anything gun related. The moment you think that you are the smartest guy at any certain thing only makes you the dumbest. Im not saying anyone of you is dumb so quit thinking like a liberal and cuddling your unicorn doll extra tight. All I am saying is this. Do you or anyone think that "The Real Gunsmith" is going to put his business in jeopardy by saying that he is getting such and such velocity out of a certain bullet out of his CUSTOM made rifles to hurt people ? Ummm I think not or he would be out of business in a hurry. Which leads to the fact that he has only been building rifles for quite a while. Ps Watch a video or 2 and you'll most likely learn something.
Have you ever actually seen or even heard of an outfit called SAAMI?
Probably not.
It doesn't take a genius to figure out that that guy is selling himself, and it doesn't take a genius to figure out you think that just because you saw it on the internet it must be true........
Cat
Old 11-20-2020, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Well I strongly suggest that "The Real Gunsmith must be an absolute liar on his experience with the 7mm. Thanks catnthehat and Elkhunter11and Dick284 and Chuck for pointing this out or I would have never known. The true gurus of the gun and cartridge world. Thank you very much for educating all of us that this guy must know absolutely nothing about the 7mm or anything gun related for that matter after watching your 45 seconds of video. After all he has built some of the most accurate rifles out there but hey what would he know. The velocity he is getting with 160gr bullets well the pressures just got to be EXACTLY 75,000-80,000psi because catnthehat, elkhunter11, and dick284 said so so it's just got to be right right ? After all you guys are educated gunsmiths with at least 10-20-30-50 years experience building and developing custom loads under your belts right fellas ? Coming from a guy who praises the 303 he's gotta know what he's talking about right ? Or dick284 who quotes just about everything that catnthehat says as being the gospel truth. Elk hunter speaks a lot of sence on here and he is a .284 guy such as myself and knows a lot of the caliber but to post what you said was just ignorant. Catnthehat you would further your knowledge if you watched more than 45 seconds of his videos I guarantee. Do any of you guys build custom rifles ? I know by reading posts that some of you custom reload for others but do you actually in reality know everything there is to know about rifles chambers bullets pressures and powders ? See this is the thing right here if catnthehat says omg dont do that most people **** themselves and dont do it. If dick284 says omg the pressure has to be 80,000psi well its just got to be true. The problem here is that most everyone has put these guys on a pedestal like they are the ONLY ones to ask about anything gun related. The moment you think that you are the smartest guy at any certain thing only makes you the dumbest. Im not saying anyone of you is dumb so quit thinking like a liberal and cuddling your unicorn doll extra tight. All I am saying is this. Do you or anyone think that "The Real Gunsmith" is going to put his business in jeopardy by saying that he is getting such and such velocity out of a certain bullet out of his CUSTOM made rifles to hurt people ? Ummm I think not or he would be out of business in a hurry. Which leads to the fact that he has only been building rifles for quite a while. Ps Watch a video or 2 and you'll most likely learn something. Pps I'm sure all the kissasses will chime in as well.
If those 160gr 3200fps loads of his are within SAAMI specs, why don't the manufacturers such as Nosler, Sierra, Speer, Hodgdons and Alliant list loads that achieve those velocities? Those manufacturers have access to resources such as actual pressure testing equipment, and their loads are not even making 3100fps. Why do you suppose that is? I am sorry, but physics works the same for everyone, so the only way that you can reach those velocities, with those components, is to exceed the SAAMI pressure standards. Yes you may get away with this for a while, without catastrophic failure, but then again, at any time metal fatigue can result in a failure that damages the firearm, and injures the shooter.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Well I strongly suggest that "The Real Gunsmith must be an absolute liar on his experience with the 7mm. Thanks catnthehat and Elkhunter11and Dick284 and Chuck for pointing this out or I would have never known. The true gurus of the gun and cartridge world. Thank you very much for educating all of us that this guy must know absolutely nothing about the 7mm or anything gun related for that matter after watching your 45 seconds of video. After all he has built some of the most accurate rifles out there but hey what would he know. The velocity he is getting with 160gr bullets well the pressures just got to be EXACTLY 75,000-80,000psi because catnthehat, elkhunter11, and dick284 said so so it's just got to be right right ? After all you guys are educated gunsmiths with at least 10-20-30-50 years experience building and developing custom loads under your belts right fellas ? Coming from a guy who praises the 303 he's gotta know what he's talking about right ? Or dick284 who quotes just about everything that catnthehat says as being the gospel truth. Elk hunter speaks a lot of sence on here and he is a .284 guy such as myself and knows a lot of the caliber but to post what you said was just ignorant. Catnthehat you would further your knowledge if you watched more than 45 seconds of his videos I guarantee. Do any of you guys build custom rifles ? I know by reading posts that some of you custom reload for others but do you actually in reality know everything there is to know about rifles chambers bullets pressures and powders ? See this is the thing right here if catnthehat says omg dont do that most people **** themselves and dont do it. If dick284 says omg the pressure has to be 80,000psi well its just got to be true. The problem here is that most everyone has put these guys on a pedestal like they are the ONLY ones to ask about anything gun related. The moment you think that you are the smartest guy at any certain thing only makes you the dumbest. Im not saying anyone of you is dumb so quit thinking like a liberal and cuddling your unicorn doll extra tight. All I am saying is this. Do you or anyone think that "The Real Gunsmith" is going to put his business in jeopardy by saying that he is getting such and such velocity out of a certain bullet out of his CUSTOM made rifles to hurt people ? Ummm I think not or he would be out of business in a hurry. Which leads to the fact that he has only been building rifles for quite a while. Ps Watch a video or 2 and you'll most likely learn something. Pps I'm sure all the kissasses will chime in as well.

OK kids, here is our lesson for today. Take out your notebooks and write these words...

Cat and Dick = full of sht

Elk11 = sometimes full of sht

Cat, Dick, and Elk = AO demi-gods for the masses of fools who'd actually give creedence to lived out experience

Youtube = gospel
Old 11-20-2020, 07:59 AM

Default Keeping it classy

Well folks, helluvahunter doesn't know it yet, but he'll be taking a helluvabreak from AO. Disagree with each other all you want, as long as it's respectful. Cross that line, you go to the penalty box. Personal agenda's can be dealt with by PM.

Carry on,
Old 11-20-2020, 08:10 AM

Cat, Dick, Elk and Chuck, don't let this guy bait you. I have no idea how I got left out of his juvenile tirade because I was saying the same stuff about the hot loads being posted. Maybe it is because I didn't attack HH's hero directly. I have seen a few of the Real Arrogant Gunsmith videos and have said before that I think the guy is a self promoting, pompous windbag with more opinion than fact. He does have some accurate info he passes on but he also has some real left field stuff and his delivery is truly annoying. This latest one on driving 160 grain bullets to 3200 fps is just the latest proof of the left field stuff.

HH - take and run the load through Quickload and then decide who is correct. You will want to get a mod to delete your tirade, or not, but you are wrong and so is your hero. P.O. Ackley was a world renowned expert, and he admits he blew up a lot of guns developing the Ackley cartridges and loads and did not have pressure gear. He had the setup to do it safely and not injure anyone when the guns let go, most regular guys don't. To this day, many of his published loads are far over max pressure and a great deal of Ackley Cartridge performance comes from high pressure loads.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:15 AM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Well folks, helluvahunter doesn't know it yet, but he'll be taking a helluvabreak from AO. Disagree with each other all you want, as long as it's respectful. Cross that line, you go to the penalty box. Personal agenda's can be dealt with by PM.

Carry on,
HEH HEH ,didn't take a crystal ball to see that coming.
That didn't take a helluvalongtime deciding either.

I have also watched a few of The Real Gunsmith vids and pretty much came to the same conclusion as Dean2.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
OK kids, here is our lesson for today. Take out your notebooks and write these words...

Cat, Dick, and Elk = AO demi-gods for the masses of fools who'd actually give creedence to lived out experience

Youtube = gospel
This is the best comment in the thread
Old 11-20-2020, 10:34 AM

Take a few days off hunting, and I miss all the fireworks.

Glad I did, mind you.

And to helluvahunter, don’t let fear and good science hold ya back.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-20-2020, 11:51 AM

Well hellovahunter now has a hellovalot of time to go hunting with his 85,000# PSI handloads and his 7mm rem mag, but this was just starting to get interesting oh well back to stinky and the grendel I guess

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Well hellovahunter now has a hellovalot of time to go hunting with his 85,000# PSI handloads and his 7mm rem mag, but this was just starting to get interesting oh well back to stinky and the grendel I guess
Maybe he can get 3300fps with 160gr loads in his 7mmremmag. That would really be interesting.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

Youtube = gospel
I like to get information from all sources before I decide and often there are folks that just can't except the alternate view point. I would prefer we are civil and at a certain point agree to disagree.

I will ask you this. Are we supposed to accept the opinion of anonymous people posting under an avatar as the gospel unadulterated truth? No doubt they have experience and can contribute go the conversation but there are other sources. Some folks very quickly and derisively discounted an alternate view and it provoked a personal attack (maybe try counting to 10?)

I dont understand why You Tube is dismissed out of hand as a bad source of info. I also don't accept that the experts only reside on AO. Experience is invaluable but when we dismiss contrary data using our own prejudice we can miss something.

For what it's worth I've watched about 6 of the 'Real Gunsmith' episodes. He is definitely old school ( but in a charmingly annoying way lol). A little more digging and he appears to have been a gunsmith for 52 years. Working for both Speer, Burris and as a private custom builder. His bio notes that he built pressure rifles for Speer....so there's that.

If the whole video is watched to where the 3200 fps 7 mag reference was made. The bullets are seated way out and he emphatically stated "in my rifle". Meaning, I assume, a custom Randy Selby rifle.

I don't doubt he gets that velocity and will accept it at face value to be acceptable/safe in the rifle he referred to (unless he was fired by Speer then all bets are off lol) I dont think the implication was any nimrod with a stock model 700 should be chasing that.

Interesting bunny trail this thread took. The sarcasm laced tirade was a little over the top, but maybe it was provoked to a certain degree?

For what it's worth I recently sold all my rifles and replaced it with one. 7 MM rem mag. ~2900 fps with a 160 gr Nosler partition. What more do I need? Brass and bullets are relatively more available than the other 7's.

I've also owned more 30-06's than Carter has liver pills. I see no clear benefit to switching unless you just want something new. The old Springfield can send a 165 g pill down range at nearly the same velocity (or same if you want to argue....which we did).
Old 11-20-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Maybe he can get 3300fps with 160gr loads in his 7mmremmag. That would really be interesting.
Probably needs to drop 4 grand on a custom job first.
Old 11-20-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
I like to get information from all sources before I decide and often there are folks that just can't except the alternate view point. I would prefer we are civil and at a certain point agree to disagree.

I will ask you this. Are we supposed to accept the opinion of anonymous people posting under an avatar as the gospel unadulterated truth? No doubt they have experience and can contribute go the conversation but there are other sources. Some folks very quickly and derisively discounted an alternate view and it provoked a personal attack (maybe try counting to 10?)

I dont understand why You Tube is dismissed out of hand as a bad source of info. I also don't accept that the experts only reside on AO. Experience is invaluable but when we dismiss contrary data using our own prejudice we can miss something.

For what it's worth I've watched about 6 of the 'Real Gunsmith' episodes. He is definitely old school ( but in a charmingly annoying way lol). A little more digging and he appears to have been a gunsmith for 52 years. Working for both Speer, Burris and as a private custom builder. His bio notes that he built pressure rifles for Speer....so there's that.

If the whole video is watched to where the 3200 fps 7 mag reference was made. The bullets are seated way out and he emphatically stated "in my rifle". Meaning, I assume, a custom Randy Selby rifle.

I don't doubt he gets that velocity and will accept it at face value to be acceptable/safe in the rifle he referred to (unless he was fired by Speer then all bets are off lol) I dont think the implication was any nimrod with a stock model 700 should be chasing that.

Interesting bunny trail this thread took. The sarcasm laced tirade was a little over the top, but maybe it was provoked to a certain degree?

For what it's worth I recently sold all my rifles and replaced it with one. 7 MM rem mag. ~2900 fps with a 160 gr Nosler partition. What more do I need? Brass and bullets are relatively more available than the other 7's.

I've also owned more 30-06's than Carter has liver pills. I see no clear benefit to switching unless you just want something new. The old Springfield can send a 165 g pill down range at nearly the same velocity (or same if you want to argue....which we did).
Seating the bullets way out may mislead some people, in that they believe that this adds a lot of capacity to the cartridge case. The reality is, the effective chamber volume is the volume with the bullet against the lands, as that is where the pressure really starts to climb. That is why extra freebore allows you to gain some velocity with the same peak pressure. It doesn't take much to drive a bullet out of the case, so this happens very quickly, before the pressure climbs anywhere near peak. When the bullet reaches the lands, and the lands must engrave the bullet, the pressure climbs rapidly. And seating right on the lands, actually increases the pressure, because the bullet has less momentum when it strikes the lands, so it takes more effort for the lands to engrave the bullet.
Old 11-20-2020, 01:22 PM

[QUOTE=elkhunter11;4271527]Seating the bullets way out may mislead some people, in that they believe that this adds a lot of capacity to the cartridge case. The reality is, the effective chamber volume is the volume with the bullet against the lands, as that is where the pressure really starts to climb. That is why extra freebore allows you to gain some velocity with the same peak pressure. It doesn't take much to drive a bullet out of the case, so this happens very quickly, before the pressure climbs anywhere near peak. When the bullet reaches the lands, and the lands must engrave the bullet, the pressure climbs rapidly. And seating right on the lands, actually increases the pressure, because the bullet has less momentum when it strikes the lands, so it takes more effort for the lands to engrave the

Sort of knew that. However, the guy making the claim likely knows that as well. I'm not a gunsmith or a ballastician but the guy making the claim has the credentials. I don't think a 12 minute clip on you tube video that also touches on 5 or 6 other cartridges provides the detail. Likely more to the story.
Old 11-20-2020, 01:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post

Carry on,
I think he had a couple too many to drink
Posts were made at 2 am lol
Old 11-20-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Seating the bullets way out may mislead some people, in that they believe that this adds a lot of capacity to the cartridge case. The reality is, the effective chamber volume is the volume with the bullet against the lands, as that is where the pressure really starts to climb. That is why extra freebore allows you to gain some velocity with the same peak pressure. It doesn't take much to drive a bullet out of the case, so this happens very quickly, before the pressure climbs anywhere near peak. When the bullet reaches the lands, and the lands must engrave the bullet, the pressure climbs rapidly. And seating right on the lands, actually increases the pressure, because the bullet has less momentum when it strikes the lands, so it takes more effort for the lands to engrave the

Sort of knew that. However, the guy making the claim likely knows that as well. I'm not a gunsmith or a ballastician but the guy making the claim has the credentials. I don't think a 12 minute clip on you tube video that also touches on 5 or 6 other cartridges provides the detail. Likely more to the story.
I think that it's simply a matter of he kept adding powder until he reached that load, no blown primers, and the bolt wasn't that hard to open, so to him it's safe in his rifle. That is how some old school people still think.

When I received my current 7mmstw from my gunsmith, I worked up some loads right out of the Barnes manual. No obvious pressure signs until I ran them over the chronograph, and I saw over 3600fps with the 140gr TTSX. That was nearly 150fps more than the velocity in the manual, and 100fps more than I saw in my other five previous rifles, as well as .0015" expansion on the belt. I dropped two grains, for 3500fps, and the belt expansion dropped to under .0005".

Last edited by elkhunter11; 11-20-2020 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-20-2020, 01:36 PM

Ever wonder why some people read these threads but are scared to post …….. yup ……. lol

I read these sections all the time …….. but to be brave enough to post ……… not so much …….. these are almost as crazy as the general threads !!!!!!!!
Old 11-20-2020, 01:37 PM

All I can say is I tried to crack the 3050-3100 area with 4 different 7RM's and 160 partitions, didn't get it done without doing in the primer pockets on them. The Real Gunsmith is quite the character, watched 3 or 4 of his vids partially, bit longer than Cat did, didn't come away with any particular nuggets from him, there are certainly easier people to listen to. Just have to learn how to pick thru the BS on the net, eventually come up with some good stuff that people explain well and properly. Watch enough of it and you find one that does a bangup job on one thing, another one that does it on another, some that in looking at their old vids, have documented their progression really well over time, and learned how to explain stuff properly, and have gained the understanding to explain it in a way, that makes it worth recommending their stuff to someone that wants to learn. Some of them really have made a heck of an effort to do it well.
Closed Thread