Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-21-2020, 11:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I don’t go 100 yards from the truck without a pack that can carry weight. Dragging a deer further than 500 yards is for the birds.
And only if that’s straight pasture like easy dragging. Bush bucks etc...50 yards might be my limit before the knife/pack is the answer. The sheep hunting sure has doubled down as a benefit for everything else. Knife pack knife pack knife pack!
Old 11-22-2020, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Two guys can walk out a whitetail on their backs without breaking a sweat.
OK TARZAN, Laughing .Are you talking deboned ,whole or in pieces any distance terrain ,swamp ,rivers, deep snow ,wet logs, thick bush, what how and what do you mean. Your no iron man so tell the methods then I will tell you mind. If it's not to my liken 4 hour of steady Randy Selby video's for you.

Please tell us peasants how to work properly
Old 11-22-2020, 07:05 AM

De-boned in a good bag that fits and is well built is a relatively easy pack out. Bone in is easily done with two guys on an average sized buck even a large buck is not a problem. Think of it even a big buck will net how many.pounds of meat? 60,80? The # is actually less in my experience. That's not a hard pack out for one guy. Bone in = about 100-150lbs. Split between two. Not to difficult.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:07 AM

I believe some animals especially elk in rough country are best handled "By bringing in a cast iron frying pan and eating them on the spot"
Old 11-22-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
De-boned in a good bag that fits and is well built is a relatively easy pack out. Bone in is easily done with two guys on an average sized buck even a large buck is not a problem. Think of it even a big buck will net how many.pounds of meat? 60,80? The # is actually less in my experience. That's not a hard pack out for one guy. Bone in = about 100-150lbs. Split between two. Not to difficult.
All this is pretty true, but a pack capable of hauling that much meat effectively is going to interfere with your ability to move through the bush quietly. So for me to use a pack frame will most often involve a trip back to the truck to get it.

Dragging a deer a couple KM by his antlers when I have snow isn't terribly hard, so that's how most of my deer come out.

If I need to go back to the truck anyways, a sled will most often work just as well as a pack frame... even moving a whole deer up to 5 km is generally pretty easy with a sled. Depending on where I'm hunting I might also have an ATV in the truck, though I tend to kill very few deer in places where an ATV is much use.

Obviously, there are times like those in the picture, where quartering and packing is the only good option. But in my experience, as far as whitetails are concerned, is that those instances are the exception rather than the rule. But yes, a pack frame and some game bags will be going in my truck next season... though I fully expect it to be a few more seasons before I actually need to use them.

The main reason I didn't quarter that deer is that I wanted to keep him in one piece for my kids to have a look at. By the time I needed help I was pretty close to the road, being that close to the truck and with a buddy that could help, we just proceded with brute force and ignorance.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:33 AM
Banned

Perfect thread for this little refresher...

Don't practice this when you need to, start doing it even if you can drive a truck right to them. It will pay off when you finally dump something in a really lousy spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4kJIrW1IDM

Doesn't take long, just a knife and backpack that can fit quarters.

Also very handy for moose or elk even if you can drive right up to them. If you're by yourself that's ok, an hour you'll have it in the truck and just moderate amount of sweat, no big thing.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 11-22-2020 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
All this is pretty true, but a pack capable of hauling that much meat effectively is going to interfere with your ability to move through the bush quietly. So for me to use a pack frame will most often involve a trip back to the truck to get it.

Dragging a deer a couple KM by his antlers when I have snow isn't terribly hard, so that's how most of my deer come out.

If I need to go back to the truck anyways, a sled will most often work just as well as a pack frame... even moving a whole deer up to 5 km is generally pretty easy with a sled. Depending on where I'm hunting I might also have an ATV in the truck, though I tend to kill very few deer in places where an ATV is much use.

Obviously, there are times like those in the picture, where quartering and packing is the only good option. But in my experience, as far as whitetails are concerned, is that those instances are the exception rather than the rule. But yes, a pack frame and some game bags will be going in my truck next season... though I fully expect it to be a few more seasons before I actually need to use them.

The main reason I didn't quarter that deer is that I wanted to keep him in one piece for my kids to have a look at. By the time I needed help I was pretty close to the road, being that close to the truck and with a buddy that could help, we just proceded with brute force and ignorance.
I have been packing game for decades, but there's times I just drag them to my truck and use brute force, in fact I kinda like the exercise and the fresh air.

I have even quartered moose and drug them in my sled by hand,takes some time, but hey there's no rush .Deboning is the best way with a good pack, but It just depends how I felt on those days including ,terrain, deep snow,- 35 below it's cold on the hands so I build a small fire if it's a moose if I need to debone,few trips and yes I break out into a sweat even though I handled a chainsaw 10 hours a day at work back then.

I hunted solo most the time, now I can't due to a surgery I had which was aneurism.so I can't blow out the repairs they put in place,big game changer for me,but my grandson is one tough kid 6 foot 5 inchs at 15 years of age 260 pounds ,plus the one hunting most of the time with me is 12 years old size 11.5 boots and solid as a rock and grabs a 100 lbs like nothing ,so I still get out more and love hunting with him. Covid is bad this way at 40 percent positive testing where they live so I lost my buddy for a bit ,were all in lockdown big time.

As long as your out hunting and getting some fresh air and even a little bull work seems like fun and makes for a good laugh at days end, sleeping is even easier haha. Beats staying home chirping like an idiot all day about Trump .

All the best
JD
Old 11-22-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:

There are manu capable hauling packs that you sure can hunt in. Check out some MR dapoacks I bit spendy but they work. Other options are packout bags. I can carry about 200lbs in them easily
Old 11-22-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
OK TARZAN, Laughing .Are you talking deboned ,whole or in pieces any distance terrain ,swamp ,rivers, deep snow ,wet logs, thick bush, what how and what do you mean. Your no iron man so tell the methods then I will tell you mind. If it's not to my liken 4 hour of steady Randy Selby video's for you.

Please tell us peasants how to work properly
Really? Why all the insults?

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 11-22-2020 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Exactly. Bone in is what I usually do and with the bone in I’ll make two trips alone But two guys can do it in one trip no problem.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-22-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
There are manu capable hauling packs that you sure can hunt in. Check out some MR dapoacks I bit spendy but they work. Other options are packout bags. I can carry about 200lbs in them easily
Alright... but absolutely any pack is going to be worse than no pack, I think we can agree on that. And If I have no pack at all, where am I going to keep my packout bags?

I've hunted with all sorts of packs over the years, I still do sometimes. But when I'm chasing whitetails in rugged bush, the gear list that I've come up with over a few decades of trial and error is as follows-

-Fanny pack- matches, hunting knife, compass, tags, camera, and a few spare rounds. TP if there is no snow on the ground...
-Pockets- ziplock of cheese and sausage, micky bottle of water, pocket knife, compass.
-Beyond that its just the clothes I'm wearing, binos, and rifle.

You guys have lots of good ideas, but if I generally spend about 20 days hunting in a season, and less than 8 hours of combined recovery on multiple animals... well, I'm heading afield with my gear tailored to the hunt more so than the recovery. Even if more gear could cut my recovery time in half, which I greatly doubt, I would have to put up with wearing a pack for 20 days just to shave off 4 hours of dragging, total, spread throughout the season... YMMV and I respect that.

Last edited by Bushleague; 11-22-2020 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-22-2020, 01:36 PM

had to quarter a cow moose a couple years back . First time we had to do this . Prefer whole animal , hide on to hang a few days . I found the moose tough due to lack of hang time . What do you guys do with meat after deboning ? curious
Old 11-22-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Alright... but absolutely any pack is going to be worse than no pack, I think we can agree on that. And If I have no pack at all, where am I going to keep my packout bags?

I've hunted with all sorts of packs over the years, I still do sometimes. But when I'm chasing whitetails in rugged bush, the gear list that I've come up with over a few decades of trial and error is as follows-

-Fanny pack- matches, hunting knife, compass, tags, camera, and a few spare rounds. TP if there is no snow on the ground...
-Pockets- ziplock of cheese and sausage, micky bottle of water, pocket knife, compass.
-Beyond that its just the clothes I'm wearing, binos, and rifle.

You guys have lots of good ideas, but if I generally spend about 20 days hunting in a season, and less than 8 hours of combined recovery on multiple animals... well, I'm heading afield with my gear tailored to the hunt more so than the recovery. Even if more gear could cut my recovery time in half, which I greatly doubt, I would have to put up with wearing a pack for 20 days just to shave off 4 hours of dragging, total, spread throughout the season... YMMV and I respect that.

I hear you on not wanting a pack I was just noting that it is possible to do things differently ( easier) pack out bags for instance could simply be worn as a wrap under your coat/ shirt or fasten on a couole clips and clip it to your fanny pack ECT. There are many ways to do things slightly outside the box. If your happy with how you do things/ your system and don't feel the need for change perfect keep at it. These threads are good for others who maybe haven't dialed theirs and are looking for ideas. As for wearing a pack/ not wearing I prefer to wear one regardless of weather I need to fill it. I choose a low profile meat hauler with proper fit waist belt and load lifters. Set up properly you forget your wearing it. It's not like the old aluminum freight haulers of 10 years ago.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I hear you on not wanting a pack I was just noting that it is possible to do things differently ( easier) pack out bags for instance could simply be worn as a wrap under your coat/ shirt or fasten on a couole clips and clip it to your fanny pack ECT. There are many ways to do things slightly outside the box. If your happy with how you do things/ your system and don't feel the need for change perfect keep at it. These threads are good for others who maybe haven't dialed theirs and are looking for ideas. As for wearing a pack/ not wearing I prefer to wear one regardless of weather I need to fill it. I choose a low profile meat hauler with proper fit waist belt and load lifters. Set up properly you forget your wearing it. It's not like the old aluminum freight haulers of 10 years ago.
True that, just arguing my minimalist approach.

I've got an Eberlestock pack now that is alright to hunt in and can also pack some meat. Sometimes I use it, and yes I forget all about it... until try to mount my rifle for a quick shot and the heavily padded strap throws a kink into everything. Not ideal for stillhunting IMO.

I used to have a WWII era day pack that had plain leather straps. Not the most comfortable but good for quick shooting. If the dollar ever comes back around I might try to get a Duluth pack much like it. Right now it would be pretty spendy though.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:30 PM

Thumbs up Bush buck

Quote:
I've never regretted a tough recovery, and this one was no exception. I have always maintained however, that getting a deer out of a stupid spot is solely the responsibility of the idiot who pulls the trigger. Felt pretty foolish needing to get someone else involved in my mess.
I'm sure had he been a forker you would have passed ....... nice bush buck and recovery
Old 11-22-2020, 05:32 PM

Why such a debate and demand for deboning as long as the game is recovered without spoiling is all that really matters

Really guys it’s not your body that takes the abuse so who cares lol

I carry a pack that is capable and have lots of experience deboning. I am not a little guy and physically capable so it’s got to be ugly before I choose that option. If I believe deboning doesn’t save me time I will apply physical strength instead.

It’s only a deer it not a moose
Old 11-22-2020, 11:05 PM

In this case I'd generally spend the time breaking down the animal and packing it out. A fellow packing nothing much more than a deer should be able to get it all in one trip with a good pack. It takes time to get all the neck meat peeled away, ribs and straps stripped proper but that extra bit of time makes an animal so much more manageable. A mountain hunter wouldn't even consider taking a carcass out whole and they usually have to pack out their living with them as well.

But seeing the use of the sled I can't help but wonder if building a "smitty sled" would be worth it for packing out game. A friend of mine built one for packing out ice fishing gear and it's crazy the difference it makes.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
In this case I'd generally spend the time breaking down the animal and packing it out. A fellow packing nothing much more than a deer should be able to get it all in one trip with a good pack. It takes time to get all the neck meat peeled away, ribs and straps stripped proper but that extra bit of time makes an animal so much more manageable. A mountain hunter wouldn't even consider taking a carcass out whole and they usually have to pack out their living with them as well.

But seeing the use of the sled I can't help but wonder if building a "smitty sled" would be worth it for packing out game. A friend of mine built one for packing out ice fishing gear and it's crazy the difference it makes.
In my experience a smitty sled is great on ice and hard surfaces but doesn't work as well in deep snow or going over buried sticks and deadfall. A tub has way more friction but it floats better and skids over sticks and such much better than two skis . A smitty is the bomb on hard pack or ice though so on prairie with skiff of snow or might be a better option
Old 11-23-2020, 07:42 AM

Skinning knife and backpack, it ain't a bull moose...
Old 11-23-2020, 08:00 AM
Banned

if it's primarily deer, you'd be fine with a back a little bigger than a kids school pack, with hardly any consideration of frame or otherwise, a decent size daypack maybe 40 liters, they squish down to nothing, plus take some water and snacks for all day hunting

for elk/moose you'll want something a little bigger but if it can take a whole rear quarter you'll probably be good
Old 11-23-2020, 01:32 PM

What are you guys leaving on for evidence of gender and species? Reproductive organs and hide on the rear quarter with the tag?
Old 11-23-2020, 05:47 PM

Man! That’s a grind dragging that buck up! Good on yah! I don’t drag deer anymore...we always break them down. As was mentioned here in other responses...gutless method is the way to go! Once you go gutless, you never go back! The time and energy the gutless method would have saved you here is worth it for sure!!!
Old 11-23-2020, 11:25 PM

Cool thread. Thanks for the pic, mate. Took a lot of manpower, I bet.

For those advising the guy to go gutless, I can assure you he is aware of the method and can do just fine. I know for a fact he can do it by himself to a bull moose many, many (like a few dozens of) kilometers away from any help, lol. It appears the man did what he wanted to do.

I personally prefer the whole deer as well if I can help it. In that particular situation, I would probably start cutting because I doubt I would be able to find someone who would help me get it out of there whole.

Another personal note, I do not like backpacks for still hunting either. I take one with me, but I usually drop it off somewhere in a predetermined spot or randomly if there is action. In fact, I often only have a rifle with me and whatever is in my pockets (the phone, maybe a pocket knife, a lighter, etc). Sometimes, however, depending on where I hunt, I carry the pack around.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
What are you guys leaving on for evidence of gender and species? Reproductive organs and hide on the rear quarter with the tag?
Evidence of sex and fully haired tail on the quarter with the tag.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:38 PM

^ Same. Wish there was an easier way.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:04 AM

I'm usually solo, and generally 'walk & stop' all day. I use the 'gutless' method exclusively, skinned on site with game bags (except sometimes the 1/4 with evidence of sex/species left fur on). I slide everything out easily, on a little $10 plastic kids sled from Crappy Tire, that I carry all day, mounted high on my day pack. It weighs nothing, is out of the way - but it makes me look like a Ninja Turtle!
I also use a 'Safari Sling' for my rifle, so it's never hanging on my shoulder, bouncing off the plastic sled.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Cool thread. Thanks for the pic, mate. Took a lot of manpower, I bet.

For those advising the guy to go gutless, I can assure you he is aware of the method and can do just fine. I know for a fact he can do it by himself to a bull moose many, many (like a few dozens of) kilometers away from any help, lol. It appears the man did what he wanted to do.

I personally prefer the whole deer as well if I can help it. In that particular situation, I would probably start cutting because I doubt I would be able to find someone who would help me get it out of there whole.

Another personal note, I do not like backpacks for still hunting either. I take one with me, but I usually drop it off somewhere in a predetermined spot or randomly if there is action. In fact, I often only have a rifle with me and whatever is in my pockets (the phone, maybe a pocket knife, a lighter, etc). Sometimes, however, depending on where I hunt, I carry the pack around.
Yes, I suppose I didnt mention that. I use the gutless method and a stout pack quite regularly... I generally find it unneccessary for deer. That picture being the first exception in a couple decades.