Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2020, 07:39 AM
Banned

Default Fortis thugs

Anyone with a power line and a tree in your yard beware. They apparently can enter your yard whenever they please. Both me and the wife have been isolating because my health won't win a battle with covid Since March we have been house bound only leaving for groceries at Walmart which they load we bring them home and process. Them we have one stop to pick up my medications to control my problems. So today I hear heavy banging at the front door like maybe a emergency or police trying to get your attention scared the hell out the wife. Look o the camera here is a guy in my backyard he forced the gate open to get in. No mask no gloves no protection dogs were in the house wife let's the dogs guess the first place they go sniffing. It was fortis arborist sub contractor this is bull**** now we wait to see if we get sick. Cops can't charged them cause fortis is exempt. Talked to someone at fortis Brady irrongant big boss so is you see a fortis truck or there tree division watch out. Call3d global they may look into it. So your private yard is yours and fortis. This is my opinion but facts are there. There big boss response was what if a fire started because of the tre. 2 months ago the transformer blew up up the pole and was burning to fire department spray water and blew that shir all o order the neighbors garden. They reattached a new transformer to a ratting old pole that just got heated up. This is my opinion. Asked them what they would do to clean up his path at door and backyard. There going to send a guy out with a bottle of spray nine. My opinion this bs. There is a pandemic morons this is my only safeplace thanks for reading old guy with concerns
Old 11-24-2020, 07:46 AM

If they stayed on what is deemed as their Utility Right of Way, then they're able to access it to trim or remove any trees coming in conflict with their utility. Saying that, common courtesy of coming to your front door to inform you of their activity goes a long way. As any other work, the guy that came to your door is just doing his job. No use tying into him. Send a letter to Fortis asking for their safe work procedures regarding covid. If the procedure wasn't followed, then raise hell.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:53 AM

do you have a beware of dog sign on or near your gate. I find that sign has a lot of power with people entering your yard. I had a city inspector come to my house and he would not come in until the dog was upstairs in a bedroom with the door closed. I thought man he has a tough job dealing with the public.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:54 AM

I hear your experience with Fortis they seems to do what ever they want now with no regard for the people that are paying there salary.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffnuts View Post
Anyone with a power line and a tree in your yard beware. They apparently can enter your yard whenever they please. Both me and the wife have been isolating because my health won't win a battle with covid Since March we have been house bound only leaving for groceries at Walmart which they load we bring them home and process. Them we have one stop to pick up my medications to control my problems. So today I hear heavy banging at the front door like maybe a emergency or police trying to get your attention scared the hell out the wife. Look o the camera here is a guy in my backyard he forced the gate open to get in. No mask no gloves no protection dogs were in the house wife let's the dogs guess the first place they go sniffing. It was fortis arborist sub contractor this is bull**** now we wait to see if we get sick. Cops can't charged them cause fortis is exempt. Talked to someone at fortis Brady irrongant big boss so is you see a fortis truck or there tree division watch out. Call3d global they may look into it. So your private yard is yours and fortis. This is my opinion but facts are there. There big boss response was what if a fire started because of the tre. 2 months ago the transformer blew up up the pole and was burning to fire department spray water and blew that shir all o order the neighbors garden. They reattached a new transformer to a ratting old pole that just got heated up. This is my opinion. Asked them what they would do to clean up his path at door and backyard. There going to send a guy out with a bottle of spray nine. My opinion this bs. There is a pandemic morons this is my only safeplace thanks for reading old guy with concerns
Sending my best wishes for both health and happiness to you and yours.
FHD
Old 11-24-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
If they stayed on what is deemed as their Utility Right of Way, then they're able to access it to trim or remove any trees coming in conflict with their utility. Saying that, common courtesy of coming to your front door to inform you of their activity goes a long way. As any other work, the guy that came to your door is just doing his job. No use tying into him. Send a letter to Fortis asking for their safe work procedures regarding covid. If the procedure wasn't followed, then raise hell.
Just for clarity, I asked fortis what they could and couldn’t do without permission, I was told they could trim trees without permission but could not remove trees without permission. I guess trimmed could mean down to near ground level....anyway that was my info.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:50 AM

I'm with Fortis on this one
Old 11-24-2020, 08:52 AM

Apparently my last comment came across as offensive.
Let me clarify.
The power grid is something bigger than just you.
Your power line isn't an island all on its own.
Being tied on to the grid comes with some obligations. And letting people from the power company in your yard for maintainance is one of them.
If this is too much obligation for you to accept, have your line disconnected, and make your own power. (That is a real option, lots of people do it. I'm not just saying "freeze in the dark")
Old 11-24-2020, 08:58 AM

No different then them coming to check your gas meter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2020, 09:00 AM

Most properties will have a right of way. It was in place when you purchased the property.

The right of way exists to maintain a safe and reliable utility. This includes access to the property and the ability to mitigate hazards like tree branches, etc...

That is on your utilities agreement and city, county, or MD property and right of use and easement contract.

That's the way it is.

As far as these guys knocking on your door, that was a proper courtesy. If the guy was, in fact, banging on your door in the manner you described - then yeah I would be annoyed too.

As far as safe Covid practices, they, as in any organization, needs to have safe, reasonable mitigation measures and safety rules to follow. My guess is because most of their work is outside and not in near contact to individuals - it probably isn't as robust as some people would like to be.

Hopefully you and your wife ore OK, and I'm confident the risk is likely very low.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:20 AM
Banned

Also I'll wager he knocked, didn't get an answer and then started knocking louder.
I've dealt with them on my property in the past...no issues.
Without the other side of the story I'm with Fortis on this one.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:24 AM

I guess you live up to your name here... they are just trying to do a job.

LC
Old 11-24-2020, 09:27 AM

*sigh*

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-24-2020, 09:29 AM

Let the man do his job he is only maintaining the power lines so you can jump on the computer and complain about it

I have a few friends who are utility arborist’s and the crap they deal with from some people is nuts. Pretty sad when they have had RCMP supervise some jobs just to trim a tree around the lines do to death threats

Sorry for your health issues but that doesn’t mean you’re entitled to make others lives difficult
Old 11-24-2020, 09:33 AM

did you bother to call the fortis hotline and get a copy of their policy

usually fortis comes around and makes a list of problem trees and gets permission to,do trimming or removal, get a copy of the policy

if the policy has been violated then you,can get new trees

more info needed yet

and fortis UMLIKE THE LOCAL LOCO REA’S YOU CAN ACTUALLY,COMPLAIN AND THE,GOVT HAS PEOPLE TO,MAKE THEM ACCOUNTABLE
Old 11-24-2020, 09:35 AM

Wow. Completely wild rant. Seems like you might need to get outside and do something. Does wonders for mental health
Old 11-24-2020, 09:35 AM

Well Im not on Fortis side, comes from 3 years ago, we are in the country, REA here , when in the spring, the power went out, call the REA they found the down power line, under the fortis area, REA tells fortis, we can fix it for you so everyone down the line can have power, Fortis says, no we can fix it, crew comes out, then after 3 hours, crew says, we are out of time, for our 8 hours a day, we will come back tomorrow, so now over 30 homes have no power over night, under 0 temps, more like -10 at night, Im not a Fortis fan.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:54 AM

The real concern to me is them knocking on a door without a mask. You are well within your rights to not answer. If the Fortis boss isn't backing that up, then go higher.

As far as them pruning trees etc. you are SOL. I will say the contractors I've had here have been VERY good about contacting (by phone), asking permission, etc.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:56 AM

One more guy on Fortis's side. These guys never entered your house, trimmed a tree so you don't lose power and left. I think maybe you have been locked up without company for too long because to be that fearful of people OUTSIDE your house seems a little irrational. With respect to the "Big Boss", if you call a guy and come out with all guns blazing then pretty sure you are going to get a less than great response.He was also probably having a lot of trouble figuring out what the kerfuffle was about.

Hope you get better and hope Covid goes away so you can get out some.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
Well Im not on Fortis side, comes from 3 years ago, we are in the country, REA here , when in the spring, the power went out, call the REA they found the down power line, under the fortis area, REA tells fortis, we can fix it for you so everyone down the line can have power, Fortis says, no we can fix it, crew comes out, then after 3 hours, crew says, we are out of time, for our 8 hours a day, we will come back tomorrow, so now over 30 homes have no power over night, under 0 temps, more like -10 at night, Im not a Fortis fan.
that my friend is an absolute lie

that is not how it works, ever

please state your rea, they have a contract with,fortis and your local rea is lying to you,

Write a letter to fortis and to the rea for the facts and then complain to the proper authorities and then get a ruling

rea’s are incompetent and inept

ask the office of the director of rural utilities for the report on the tomahawk reas PUBLIC INQUIRY and then tell me rea’s are not totally corrupt

the public inquiry was done a couple of years ago
Old 11-24-2020, 10:48 AM

A few years ago we bought a rural property planning to build and retire there (boy has 2020 put a wrench in those plans!). Last year I got a call from Fortis, they said that there were some trees on my property that were starting to interfere with the power line. They said they could prune them, but would prefer to take them down. I plan to keep the fence line clear of trees, so I said take them down. I also said they don't have to bother cleaning it up, I'll take the firewood. It was a few months before they came and took down the trees, they cleaned up the branches and small stuff and left the big stuff for me. I can't say that I'm unhappy with them.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
The real concern to me is them knocking on a door without a mask. You are well within your rights to not answer. If the Fortis boss isn't backing that up, then go higher.

As far as them pruning trees etc. you are SOL. I will say the contractors I've had here have been VERY good about contacting (by phone), asking permission, etc.

So as long as he stands at least 6 feet away from you and doesn't come inside, I really don't see the issue.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
A few years ago we bought a rural property planning to build and retire there (boy has 2020 put a wrench in those plans!). Last year I got a call from Fortis, they said that there were some trees on my property that were starting to interfere with the power line. They said they could prune them, but would prefer to take them down. I plan to keep the fence line clear of trees, so I said take them down. I also said they don't have to bother cleaning it up, I'll take the firewood. It was a few months before they came and took down the trees, they cleaned up the branches and small stuff and left the big stuff for me. I can't say that I'm unhappy with them.

ARG
they have a policy in place to talk to landowners and partially fund the re-planting of trees to make their job and your trees better for maintenance in the future, you just have to ask and qualify to be in the danger zone of tree growth to interfere with their lines

some have taken advantage of this

What folks don’t realize is I have been talking to rea’s for 6 years to change the way they put lines in (RIGHT ALONG THE DRIVEWAY WHAT DO THEY THINK WILL HAPPEN?)

fortis set up a p,an to help fund the moving of power lines so that in the future the maintenance would be vastly reduced

the rea’s said no way. how shortsighted of them
AND now rea’s complain of the maintenance cost going forward

our rea directors lied and said fortis was trying to bankrupt them

needles to say over the years we have replaced all the corrupt directors with better folks

The rea model is outdated and needs to go the way of the dinosaurs

do you realize there is about 800. eight hundred million dollars to the owners of the rea. rural people could use this money

and fortis has govt oversight. rea’s do not
Old 11-24-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
So as long as he stands at least 6 feet away from you and doesn't come inside, I really don't see the issue.
I would still want to go out and disinfect any surface I might touch in the next 72 or so hours. Door knob comes to mind.

Things that have changed in 2020... I would have never thought I would be disinfecting my front door; ever, much less with any sort of frequency.

ARG

Quote:
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:10 AM

An arborist contracted by Atco Electric told me they'd have to cut my carrighana hedge because it was getting close to the power line running over it . If they'd have looked more closely, they'd have seen that the line was de-energized and ended at the next pole. I stopped the Atco lineman and showed him. Told me he'd have a word with them. Said they were famous for making themselves work that was unnecessary.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:31 AM

In all honesty, the only person coming off looking like a thug is you. Get real man. They have a job to do and them keeping their equipment safe is not going to have one tiny bit of effect on you. i suspect you have gone a wee bit crazy putting yourself in such an isolated space.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:00 PM

Fortis always been good to us. Usually phone me so I leave the gate open.
Maybe just your branch manager that has a bad attitude.
ATCO usually sends us a letter to let us know they are going to tear things up. No mercy -but caraganas come back stronger every time they cut them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 11-24-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanCretien View Post
[...] -but caraganas come back stronger every time they cut them.
That's 'cause you can't kill those freakin' things! I've tried!

ARG

Quote:
Old 11-24-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post

ARG
Same at my place, i said to leave the wood by the fence and I'll come and get it. The 3 young guys told me the would throw it in their truck and bring it up to the shed and stack it. Great young men, offered them a beer but of course they turned it down, on the job and all.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:52 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Exactly but be tactful in your delivery cause you might loose your audience real quick like.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...