Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-24-2020, 09:44 PM

Default Versatile Day Pack

Hey Everyone

I’m looking to get my oldest son a quality, versatile day pack. I’m a little unsure how big I want to go. Possibly something expandable if that exists. Looking for any input you might have. I’m not opposed to investing good money for a piece that he will have for several years if it’s something that proven to be good quality gear.

Thanks for any input

Hilgy
Old 11-24-2020, 09:51 PM

Default Mystery Ranch

Mystery Ranch has a sale on right now with their Canadian supplier. Rampart Co. out of Toronto, worth checking them out. Check out the Metcalf Bag
Old 11-24-2020, 10:06 PM

The badlands bags are a good affordable choice. My sons use the 2400 and i have a 2800.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:06 AM

I have a mystery ranch frame with a metcalf bag for smaller trips. Then a custom mystery ranch for long trips. With the frame you get way more options. You can use the frame alone for packing meat, you can put different bags on depending what your hunt looks like. I have even used the frame to haul in boat motors on my back. I also run a acteryx LEAF 50 for most of archery season, but as soon as an animal is down out come the mystery ranch because it handles and balances weight so well. Personally I would not get a pack smaller than a 50. But I guy could get away with a 35 if you really needed to.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:17 AM

Default Versatile Day Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
I have a mystery ranch frame with a metcalf bag for smaller trips. Then a custom mystery ranch for long trips. With the frame you get way more options. You can use the frame alone for packing meat, you can put different bags on depending what your hunt looks like. I have even used the frame to haul in boat motors on my back. I also run a acteryx LEAF 50 for most of archery season, but as soon as an animal is down out come the mystery ranch because it handles and balances weight so well. Personally I would not get a pack smaller than a 50. But I guy could get away with a 35 if you really needed to.

I have the Mystery Ranch pintler as my bow season day pack. It has some really neat features for internal organization.

I have the Marshall bag to swap out o the frame for multi-day trips or for hauling lots of gear to the blind in winter.

Yes, on the expensive side for sure, but you will get a lot of life out of it. The meat hauling ability was a critical factor in the decision for me so you will need to decide how much that drives your needs.

I was using a badlands stealth pack (about the same size as the ones noted above) for a while, nothing wrong with it as long as you are not hauling a lot of weight with it. Same as any pack that does not have a solid frame, add a few more pounds of weight into it and you get a shifting load that is a bit of a fight to keep yourself right side up. Just out grouse hunting and getting some miles in, they are pretty good.

Mountain man outdoors and great North precision carry Mystery ranch and have great customer service, you can sometimes get good deal on last years stock.

Jim bows carries a mystery ranch bags as well if you are in Edmonton or Calgary and you want to get your hands on one. Always great to deal with as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2020, 06:00 AM

I use a badlands 2200 myself and no complaints. This is mostly for deer size animals and carry a larger pack if hunting bigger game like moose

Kinda need to pick a pack that fits his style of hunting
Old 11-25-2020, 07:48 AM

My vote is for stone glacier, outstanding packs, I’ve got the sky talus 6900 and it is big enough for a week long trip to the mountains and compresses down to use as an everyday pack. If that’s bigger than what you’re looking for they’ve got a few other good options.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:20 AM

I have been taking a good look at Mystry Ranch packs lately. The Metcalf is larger (70l) but compresses a lot onto the frame making it quite compact and versatile. For a dedicated day pack that can handle meat loads the MR pop-up 38 looks nice.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:54 AM

I have the MR pop-up 28. I've put about 60lb on it and it worked pretty well. Wouldn't want to be hauling quarters very far with it, but for the first trip out it's great. Grab the bigger pack for the rest.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:34 PM

Check out the mystery ranch Terraframe 50, I love mine. It’s not a hunting specific model , but has the same features and load shelf , and is cheaper than hunting specific models . Seems very similar to pintler model , but tough bigger
Old 11-25-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalewig View Post
Check out the mystery ranch Terraframe 50, I love mine. It’s not a hunting specific model , but has the same features and load shelf , and is cheaper than hunting specific models . Seems very similar to pintler model , but tough bigger

Looks like it’s the same body but with quite a few less internal compartments/storage sleeves. So that would be likely the reason for the cost reduction.

Great bag either way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2020, 05:11 PM

Thanks for all the input guys. I’ve been looking at both the MR and Badlands packs based on input here.
One thing that dawned on my today while watching a couple reviews is how small my sons waist is. He’s 16 and is getting tall but he’s still a bean pole. I watched one review of the Badlands Superday and the guy putting it on was skinny and he couldn’t get the hip belt tight enough.
I’m going to need to find a pack that has a waist belt that will go down to about a 28-29” waist I think. Could be tough??
Old 11-25-2020, 05:15 PM
Banned

Not in the quality range you're looking at but a cheaper alternative, if they still hve them, was at Costco. I bought one for work because I needed a new bag and I thought it would be a decent hunting pack. Then, once your son thickens up a bit, the other packs should have no problems fitting him better.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilgy View Post
Thanks for all the input guys. I’ve been looking at both the MR and Badlands packs based on input here.
One thing that dawned on my today while watching a couple reviews is how small my sons waist is. He’s 16 and is getting tall but he’s still a bean pole. I watched one review of the Badlands Superday and the guy putting it on was skinny and he couldn’t get the hip belt tight enough.
I’m going to need to find a pack that has a waist belt that will go down to about a 28-29” waist I think. Could be tough??
Mystery ranch sells interchangeable waist bands. For different size people
Old 11-25-2020, 08:48 PM

My favourite small day packs have been the MR dragon slayer and bighorn. The kifaru spike camp, late season and 14er were also very good. For a more versatile pack I also like the kifaru 24” hunting frame with the 22mag bag.
The only two I still own are the above mentioned 22mag and my MR dragon slayer. The dragon slayer was hard to find after it was discontinued but I bought it for $180 which is less $$$$ then some junkier brands brand new.

Eberlestock and badlands aren't in the same league compared to the packs I mentioned and yea I tried them too when I was young and dumb(er). Unfortunately with packs they’re individual specific and what worked for me might not work for you. Don’t be afraid to buy used, kifaru, MR, stone glacier, exo, etc all have lifetime warranties and build bombproof packs.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:39 PM

Another fan of the mystery ranch packs. I have a metcalf but I haven’t really put it to the test yet. Just a couple overnight trips but so far it’s performed very well.

If your just looking for a simple daypack I would recommend something by Karrimor SF (special forces). I have been using a Sabre 35 for my hunting/hiking pack for a few years now and I have no complaints. They make a range of sizes but the 30-45 litre bags are very popular in the bushcraft community for day/overnight trips.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:45 AM

Stone Glacier. My 16 year old son had been using one for a couple of years. This year he complained it was getting tight in the shoulders. Off it came, adjusted, and back in business. He has hauled several animals out with it and it runs great as a day pack when there is nothing heavy to haul.

-Billy Molls