Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-28-2015, 10:13 PM

Default Pet peeve in hunting pics

I truly enjoy reading stories of animals taken and also love to see the pics that go along with them. The one thing I see time and time again is a picture of a happy hunter, maybe his friend or guide sharing the same excitement of an animal taken. But the one thing that p:ss:s me off more is the rifle that was used in the hunt is sitting there with the bolt closed. More often than not it is pointed right at one of the guys head in the picture. Please for the love of significant other, unload the gun properly and keep that DARN bolt open for everyone to see that it is unloaded. I don't give a rats :ss how careful you say are, if that bolt is closed on those rifles, you cannot 100% guarantee me that it is not live. Also while you are at it, rub a little snow on its nose to clean up the blood a bit and please shove that dangling tongue back in its mouth or cut it off, put it in your jacket pocket and forget for a month or so that it's in there. Also try to smile, they're free.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:17 PM

A large gut pile beside it with blood all over the back legs and undercarriage makes for a pretty **** poor photo too IMO
Old 07-28-2015, 10:18 PM

I can't stand it when the guy positions himself way behind his kill. Anything can look big if you sit 5+ feet behind it!
Old 07-28-2015, 10:26 PM

20 inch tongue hanging out the side of its mouth...
Banned

Ok son

Im sure an ediquette photograher is for hire somewhere.

Peeve away !!!!

This one's for you Calvin

No blood tho
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kevin_sheep2.jpg (71.0 KB, 980 views)
Old 07-28-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
But the one thing that p:ss:s me off more is the rifle that was used in the hunt is sitting there with the bolt closed. More often than not it is pointed right at one of the guys head in the picture. Please for the love of significant other, unload the gun properly and keep that DARN bolt open for everyone to see that it is unloaded. I don't give a rats :ss how careful you say are, if that bolt is closed on those rifles, you cannot 100% guarantee me that it is not live.
Boy, I bet a lot of people make that mistake! I'll have to go back and look through my pics to see if I've done it. More times than not I'm hunting on my own so I'm not in the photo but it wouldn't surprise me at all if in some of those when the gun is beside the animal the bolt is closed even though i know it's empty.

I'll be thinking about this next year, though the bolt will be open. Thanks for the head's up!
Old 07-28-2015, 10:46 PM

Tundra monkey!!!!!!!!!!!!AARRRGGGHHHH..

Sure as shoot in'!!!! Thank you
Old 07-28-2015, 10:50 PM

More often than not, the angle of the rifle is nowhere near the hunter.
My bolt has never been, and will never be open, when I take a picture. But thanks for all the info on how YOU want us to take OUR field photos.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Tundra monkey!!!!!!!!!!!!AARRRGGGHHHH..

Sure as shoot in'!!!! Thank you

I've taken you your opinion as of late Sir......that's my first sheep back in 03/04. I pay a little more attention nowadays

Worst thing up here is blood on them white critters. Here's a more recent one (I'm thinking 2010) but not much a guy could do about it due to time constraints and the fact that the shot was straight down threw the shoulder blades....no rifle tho
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ram2010l.jpg (133.8 KB, 675 views)
Old 07-28-2015, 10:53 PM

Pretty much once I know the animal is down and done, rifle is emptied because the hunt is over. Im not gonna lay my rifle in the snow bolt open to keep bleeding hearts happy
Old 07-28-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
I truly enjoy reading stories of animals taken and also love to see the pics that go along with them. The one thing I see time and time again is a picture of a happy hunter, maybe his friend or guide sharing the same excitement of an animal taken. But the one thing that p:ss:s me off more is the rifle that was used in the hunt is sitting there with the bolt closed. More often than not it is pointed right at one of the guys head in the picture. Please for the love of significant other, unload the gun properly and keep that DARN bolt open for everyone to see that it is unloaded. I don't give a rats :ss how careful you say are, if that bolt is closed on those rifles, you cannot 100% guarantee me that it is not live. Also while you are at it, rub a little snow on its nose to clean up the blood a bit and please shove that dangling tongue back in its mouth or cut it off, put it in your jacket pocket and forget for a month or so that it's in there. Also try to smile, they're free.
I really don't need to prove to YOU that the rifle isn't live. So no I will not leave the bolt open in my photos.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-28-2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I really don't need to prove to YOU that the rifle isn't live. So no I will not leave the bolt open in my photos.
They are pictures not a range after all lol
Old 07-28-2015, 11:19 PM

You need something else to worry about.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-28-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:

I shot a bear with a busted lower jaw that healed up sideways, he was near starving to death, couldnt keep his tongue in if I wanted too. not much blood though.

Geez chuck smile much
also not a bad deer and LOVE the color on that bear!
Old 07-28-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
I shot a bear with a busted lower jaw that healed up sideways, he was near starving to death, couldnt keep his tongue in if I wanted too. not much blood though
90% of the time I cut the tongue off.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-28-2015, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
This one's for you Calvin

No blood tho

It's glowing eyes are creepy lol.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:34 PM

I hear ya!!!

You should have seen his eyes up close....they are a brilliant gold/yellow. Beautiful actually.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Hmm reallly? Honestly woulda never crossed my mind! Ill hang onto that tip, Thanks
Old 07-28-2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:

Yup. I leave my bolt closed all the time. No need to Prove to YOU that she's unloalded. It's a darn picture. I imagine ur undies get all bunched reading a gun magazine? That must be pure Torture for you!?
Old 07-29-2015, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Anything else you want to whine about? I heard about this guy in Texas that smiled in a photo once......weird.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:37 AM

i tried to wash off the blood but too no avail.
bolts open though

my picture pet-peeve is them damn sideways cell phone pics.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonmark View Post
Yup. I leave my bolt closed all the time. No need to Prove to YOU that she's unloalded. It's a darn picture. I imagine ur undies get all bunched reading a gun magazine? That must be pure Torture for you!?
lol
Old 07-29-2015, 06:34 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
No lies are spoken then...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-29-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:

chuck you forgot to smile I think you need to read his instructions again
Old 07-29-2015, 07:53 AM

some of you seem to miss the point. No Ramonmark you do not need to prove anything to me about anything you do. My point is i have seen time and time again field photos with the rifle bolts in a closed position. In my opinion those rifles are loaded and should be treated as such. you are done hunting and should not need to have that bolt closed. thats all I am saying and was just trying to get a bit of advice to a new hunter. It seemed that i got through to a couple of fellow hunters but a couple of you need to take a yoga class to calm down.

I personally have the solo hunter gun sock and its an easy sock to remove when you need to. Its also easy to put on after you are done hunting and have 'unloaded' your firearm and put in truck or wherever you happen to be. it keeps everything clean and dry. And yes i do get quite p:ssy when i see outdoor magazines with pics of hunters with closed bolts on their rifles. I recently was reading a Western Sportsman with a focus on youth hunting. many of the field photos showed young people with rifles (bolts closed) in one hand and a dead animal in the other. safety starts with you and hopefully doesn't end poorly. I am not one to talk as I previously was a very poor example. we had an incident with a supposed unloaded rifle and since then I have a TOTAL BOLT OPEN policy.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:56 AM

And this is one of the reasons why I hunt alone... Not sure why someone who has nothing to do with anything needs to tell people how to take pictures? How many people you figure get shot every year when they are taking pictures of there buddy's dead game?..... probably ALOT less then guys who don't stop talking about stupid **** all the time.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:58 AM

Tundra Monkey. i really like your second pic, nice ram and good smile. i understand your 'problem' when harvesting those darn white rams like that.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig82 View Post
And this is one of the reasons why I hunt alone... Not sure why someone who has nothing to do with anything needs to tell people how to take pictures? How many people you figure get shot every year when they are taking pictures of there buddy's dead game?..... probably ALOT less then guys who don't stop talking about stupid **** all the time.
Well stated Sir!
Old 07-29-2015, 08:01 AM

That's good for you, but I must have missed the print where you were supposed to tell the rest of us what to do, and not to do.

Empty, bolt closed, muzzle pointed in a safe direction, or whatever other safety measures you want to take, to each their own.....