Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-03-2020, 04:31 PM

Default Guitar players.

Ive been off and on for 20 years,no music lessons only the internet to help me along.
With more time now Ive picked the old 6 string back up,cant remember most of what I use to know.With all the u tube tutorials Im looking forward to getting back up to speed.
How many guitar players do we have here?
Maybe post a song or artist you like to play.
Im a Jonny Cash fan but struggle with some of his stuff.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:40 PM

started working on the weight yesterday . easy song but the intro is a little tough with my old and partially arthritic fingers . last week learned shallow form a movie i never saw .
Old 04-03-2020, 04:42 PM

I played for a couple of years. Quit when it became apparent I had zero talent for it. Catching fish on the other hand......

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-03-2020, 04:57 PM

Guitar is one of the instruments that I play... Mostly gospel and country, but I will kick in the Boss MT-3 when the kids want to jam...
Old 04-03-2020, 05:01 PM

Started on drums in 2000. toured north america in a punk rock band. Recently been playing bass guuitar and singing. Some jerks broke into my shop/rehersal space. My 1977 maple fender precision bass.... gone. Broke my heart. Played the starlight room in edmonton a few times. Pretty fun, but at 41 with kids, not as high priority.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:09 PM

My finger tips are nicely calloused. Played electric back in grade 7 school band, hung onto a cheap classical for 30 years, picking up a strat about 5 years ago. I’m not very musical and am pretty well tone deaf. But, I have good handle on the fret board, scales and chord tones, so I mostly noodle around. Was checking acoustics before the shutdown, but that will have to wait.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:09 PM

I just learned how to play a little myself. I practise for a long time just moving the fingers from chords to chords... like G to C to D over and over until the fingers got some muscle memory. I like Johnny Cash songs they seem simple. Im having a hard time with the bridge chords. can't make it sound right.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:30 PM

Ya that’s been my problem. I just don’t play enough to keep getting better. Chords I learned before the internet but have no idea about scales. Part of me wishes I took music in school.Its a good way to pass time though I’m more into picking songs. There’s a lot more good tutorials now. I’ve been practicing going to California by led zep a lot lately. Gonna take awhile.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Started on drums in 2000. toured north america in a punk rock band. Recently been playing bass guuitar and singing. Some jerks broke into my shop/rehersal space. My 1977 maple fender precision bass.... gone. Broke my heart.
What band did you play in? I'm a multi instrumentalist. I can play piano, guitar, bass and drums. I'm playing bass in a gigging band around Edmonton right now. Hurts to hear about the 77 that's horrible.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:41 PM

So many great utube vids out there for teaching. Of all the guitar books I’ve had come and go, this is the one that did it for me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F4C0B7C1-51B9-4ACA-9395-CE44B28B9C22.jpg (30.7 KB, 82 views)
Old 04-03-2020, 05:45 PM

I like to play campfire guitar.. as long as someone else is leading I can keep up and add some help, out at Pigeon lake a few years back I got to play around a camp fire with Adam Gregory on two different occasions, the singer song writer from Edmonton and now in Nashville I believe.. that kid can sing, without his band and all the cool things they do to make a singer sound perfect, well he didnt need any of that stuff, he was awesome, and he signed both my guitars which I still have.. he was hard to keep up with as those young guys can play all the chords... me, not so much! So here’s alittle plug for Adam, listen to some of his music, it’s worth it!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 04-03-2020, 05:47 PM

Been playing on and (mostly) off since about 1990/91 but have never taken any formal lessons. A few years ago I stumbled across justinguitar.com and learned more from him in a few weeks than I ever picked up on my own.

I have a Vantage 118DT that I got new in 90/91 and played it through a Peavey Rage 108 amp until a year ago when I upgraded the amp to a Boss Katana 50. Boy, what a difference in sound that amp made!!! I also have a cheap Fender acoustic that sounds better than it's price tag would indicate.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:58 PM

As a young man my brother and I played for a lot of country dances, weddings etc. Older brother is a pretty awesome fiddler and I backed him up on a guitar.
I still play a bit for my own entertainment, on my 100 anniversary Gibson acoustic. The best part of it all is, I introduced it to my Son,and now my Grandson plays also. And yes they are a heck of a lot better then I am.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:30 PM

Back in the 60's I played a lot of blues and rock, but always seemed to keep going back to folk and country music, John Prine, Lightfoot, Doc Watson, etc.
laid the axe down for many years, but picked it up again a few years back ( THANKS sdvc!), and still send some licks through the house with the resonator.
Cat

Old 04-03-2020, 06:34 PM

If you have a Facebook a friend is playing live right now..
https://www.facebook.com/691286098/p...7037277426099/
Old 04-03-2020, 06:37 PM

Played drums all in my younger years, weddings, bars, even the old hole in Drayton Valley.

Retired that and self taught acoustic guitar now, play and sing the old stuff, Conway, the Hag, Cash, whatever we can think of, if you can hum it, we will make a tune outa it.. Lol !!

Love the campfire songs!!!
Old 04-03-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennyindabenny View Post
What band did you play in? I'm a multi instrumentalist. I can play piano, guitar, bass and drums. I'm playing bass in a gigging band around Edmonton right now. Hurts to hear about the 77 that's horrible.
Oh you’re one of those😱 nice👍 I’ve been playing since ‘87 and still not that good. Jam with friends and play rockabilly , country , rock , really is a great time to play with friends with all the equipment going, maybe more fun than hunting? well almost 😂😂
Old 04-03-2020, 07:10 PM

I picked up my Dad's guitar when I was about 8. He got me a Silvertone flat top for my 10th birthday, 1968. It was lost when our house burned down in 1970 along with Dad's Eaton Commander arch top he had bought in 1949.
Learned by playing with Dad and some other old timers playing little country dances around the Heinsburg, Elk Point, Dewberry, Clandonald, Marwayne area. Sometimes we played around Lloydminster also, Paradise Valley etc. We had an accordian player from Lone Rock SK at that time.

I still pick it up once in a while and play along with some tunes on youtube.

Discovered blues about 15 years ago and while I'm no SRV or Buddy Guy (met him once though) I can do a fair impersonation of a blues rhythm player....some days.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:26 PM

Some of that old country is tricky. A lot of those country guys use Travis picking style or the Boom-Chic style.
I would start there. YouTube has tons of great video. You basically have to train your right hand so you can do it in your sleep. Once you can master the right thumb style, everything will come together quick.

Good luck and don’t give up. Watch TV with the guitar in your hand. It makes a big difference
Old 04-03-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
Some of that old country is tricky. A lot of those country guys use Travis picking style or the Boom-Chic style.
I would start there. YouTube has tons of great video. You basically have to train your right hand so you can do it in your sleep. Once you can master the right thumb style, everything will come together quick.

Good luck and don’t give up. Watch TV with the guitar in your hand. It makes a big difference
thats a good tip right there . i get a lot of heat from the war dept about guitars laying all over the place . if they get put away i dont play around near as much . if there's one on the couch , i pick it up whenever i sit down . "out of sight out of mind"
Old 04-03-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
thats a good tip right there . i get a lot of heat from the war dept about guitars laying all over the place . if they get put away i dont play around near as much . if there's one on the couch , i pick it up whenever i sit down . "out of sight out of mind"
Even if your not playing you can practice the right hand drills. Thumb from low e to d, over and over again.
Or chord from g to c or whatever your weak with. F chord would the hardest. Yep best thing you can do is keep the guitar out on the couch. And it’s eye candy!
Old 04-03-2020, 07:55 PM

Hey that was meant for the OP. I just seen you already know guitar.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:56 PM

The Travis picking is easy as I think a lot of us learned dust in the wind at an early age.pearl jams breathe is another Travis one I’ve been practicing. Just can’t sing worth a ****.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:41 PM

Really helps to have quality guitars set up properly...there's a reason some of the best guitarists have one or two guitars that they record with. Some sound better with the dirty crunchy stuff played high up on the neck but when you get down the neck the strings are too far from the fretboard to really deliver a clean sound. I had the excuse for awhile that my fingers were too fat and short till I seen a gent from bonnyville called Tiny play my own guitar and mañ that guy made every note count loud and clear and in time. That really opened my eyes and made my pay attention to detail. It's a great hobby. Good for the memory and mind in general. Tobe deaf as well. You tube helps. Before that it was reading tab from guitar magazines. Very slow way to learn.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Really helps to have quality guitars set up properly...there's a reason some of the best guitarists have one or two guitars that they record with. Some sound better with the dirty crunchy stuff played high up on the neck but when you get down the neck the strings are too far from the fretboard to really deliver a clean sound. I had the excuse for awhile that my fingers were too fat and short till I seen a gent from bonnyville called Tiny play my own guitar and mañ that guy made every note count loud and clear and in time. That really opened my eyes and made my pay attention to detail. It's a great hobby. Good for the memory and mind in general. Tobe deaf as well. You tube helps. Before that it was reading tab from guitar magazines. Very slow way to learn.
Tablature just about had me quit guitar. Luckily I explored the theory side and reignited my interest.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:54 PM

Guitar here. I’m a blues guy. But I can play almost everything really. Love classic rock stuff. 25 or more years in playing.

Best thing I’ve done recently is got into mandolin. Im by no means a competent player on one but love the sound and they are fairly easy to play with some guitar knowledge, but they are hard to be good at lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2020, 09:31 PM

I fooled around with a uku for awhile,sound drove me nutts lol
Old 04-03-2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
Ive been off and on for 20 years,no music lessons only the internet to help me along.
With more time now Ive picked the old 6 string back up,cant remember most of what I use to know.With all the u tube tutorials Im looking forward to getting back up to speed.
How many guitar players do we have here?
Maybe post a song or artist you like to play.
Im a Jonny Cash fan but struggle with some of his stuff.
i've tinkered with some jc songs but not lots . one thing that did take me a long time to learn is that a lot of songs are not played with standard tuning . i always thought that the extra guitars on stage at concerts and in bars were spares but usually they are tuned diffidently for a particular song . so if a song you are playing with just doesn't sound right check on the tuning of the original . i dont know if this is common with johnny c songs or not.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
i've tinkered with some jc songs but not lots . one thing that did take me a long time to learn is that a lot of songs are not played with standard tuning . i always thought that the extra guitars on stage at concerts and in bars were spares but usually they are tuned diffidently for a particular song . so if a song you are playing with just doesn't sound right check on the tuning of the original . i dont know if this is common with johnny c songs or not.
Lots of reason for an inventory. Double up your base rig if you blow a string, tunings, pickups, body characteristics. Often you may string differently for heavy bending, ..
Old 04-03-2020, 11:33 PM

Been playing acoustic guitar in the closet since 1965. Self taught and love to play several styles of music. Tend to make my own rather than play other peoples music. Enjoy electric guitar but find it needs other instruments to play along. So many world class guitar players out there that even after years of playing I feel I don't know much compared to so many.

Enjoy players like joscho stephan. Yomandu Costa, Calum Graham, Loren Barrigar and Mark Mazengarb duo, and so many others.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets