Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I spent around 3K. I found new firebricks in kijiji and paid $1.50 each instead of $6.00 (?), bought used cinder blocks, the ceramic insulation batts were reclaimed. I probably saved about 1200-1500 with used scrounged materials. You’re looking at 4500-5000 for materials and if you get someone to build it I’d guess $15000 or so.

You could save money by pouring your own slab, that’s easy, lay the blocks (also easy), then pour the top slab. All doable with a bit of head scratching.
Then get a mason to lay your dome. Build your own enclosure to keep it dry.

That would be your cheapest easy way. The dome isn’t difficult it just takes time and infinite patience.

You “could” make the actual oven out of “cob” just do the research on cob and you’ll see how easy it is. A mixture of clay, sand and straw..I’d add some fibreglass fibres and cement and maybe vermeculite into that mix.
Certainly won’t last as long as bricks but 10-20 years should be reasonable.

If you have a real interest check out fornobravo.com they have a forum that’s fantastic.
Thanks. It's a little over my budget right now. Built for 15k I mean. One can dream.
I'll check out the forum. Thanks for the link

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 04-02-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey View Post
Thanks. It's a little over my budget right now. Built for 15k I mean. One can dream.
I'll check out the forum. Thanks for the link
Way over my budget too.... do some research on the Cobb ovens.
If you’re a little bit of a hippie (who isn’t?) they might appeal to you.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Way over my budget too.... do some research on the Cobb ovens.
If you’re a little bit of a hippie (who isn’t?) they might appeal to you.
I have seen these too. I have even used one. It's an option. Not as elegant I guess but they should work. Still undecided where I go with this.
I am still hoping that Roccbox or Ooni come out with something fit for bread. I am hesitating just getting something for pizza.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 04-03-2020, 05:38 PM

Any suggestions for a first loaf of sourdough now that my starter seems to be happy?

Keep in mind I only have white unbleach, dark rye and whole wheat on hand.

Most other fixings I do have (salted/unsalted butter, eggs, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder etc) on hand.

Bread is a little foreign to me, cinnamon rolls, not so much lol.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitscottn View Post
Any suggestions for a first loaf of sourdough now that my starter seems to be happy?

Keep in mind I only have white unbleach, dark rye and whole wheat on hand.

Most other fixings I do have (salted/unsalted butter, eggs, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder etc) on hand.

Bread is a little foreign to me, cinnamon rolls, not so much lol.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is a really easy approach: https://foodbodsourdough.com/the-process

Old 04-05-2020, 10:23 AM

Josey my starter still does not double in size. It does grow and does have bubbles throughout, they’re small bubbles. I’d estimate it grows by one third. The starter is kept at about 70 degrees.

I’m using a 1 to 1 flour to starter ratio by weight when feeding daily but it always seems soupy by the next day.

Should I just go for it? I don’t want to waste our limited flour.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:01 PM

Just thought I would share what I made with the discard while I am waiting for it to be ready
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200405_163853342.jpg (31.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200405_173332986.jpg (40.0 KB, 48 views)
Old 04-06-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
Josey my starter still does not double in size. It does grow and does have bubbles throughout, they’re small bubbles. I’d estimate it grows by one third. The starter is kept at about 70 degrees.

I’m using a 1 to 1 flour to starter ratio by weight when feeding daily but it always seems soupy by the next day.

Should I just go for it? I don’t want to waste our limited flour.
How old is it? It can take a couple of weeks. They are all different. Mine took 3.5 weeks.
Soupy means it's hungry. Do you feed once or twice per day?
Don't bake a loaf until it at least double after each feeding for a couple of days.

Does it smell yeast or fruity? If so you can however try crackers or biscuits with the discard now. Do you need some discard recipes?

Edit: One more thing, do you weigh the starter as well? Ideally you feed 1:1:1 otherwise you might starve it

Old 04-06-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
How old is it? It can take a couple of weeks. They are all different. Mine took 3.5 weeks.
Soupy means it's hungry. Do you feed once or twice per day?
Don't bake a loaf until it at least double after each feeding for a couple of days.

Does it smell yeast or fruity? If so you can however try crackers or biscuits with the discard now. Do you need some discard recipes?

Edit: One more thing, do you weigh the starter as well? Ideally you feed 1:1:1 otherwise you might starve it

My first starter died, it was chugging away so well then it just went kaput.
So I kept feeding it while starting a new one, the new one is coming and the old one was still dead/dormant yesterday when I tossed it.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:05 AM

I did use some commercial yeast and have been keeping it going for a couple
Weeks now. It kind of slowed down a bit and i think the wild yeast might be taking over “somewhat.” No matter it’s a great way to extend a precious bottle of yeast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2781D0FF-53AD-448A-A806-823F414AC6D1.jpg (54.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 04-06-2020, 09:12 AM

Thanks josey, it’s been 19 days I believe. I’m trying to be patient but I’m itching to try baking some bread lol.

I fed it twice a day for a while last week and have gone back to once a day lately. I can’t feed it twice on days I’m working.

I was hoping to use it this week since I don’t go back to work until Saturday. I’ll just continue feeding and maybe next days off it will be ready. We made sourdough pancakes last week and they were a big hit.

I like the looks of Nitros pretzels, I might have to try those.

I’m not too sure but I think I’d say it’s more sour than fruity and yeasty. I’ll start feeding twice a day again. I am weighing the starter, flour and water out in a 1:1:1 ratio.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:39 AM

https://www.foodiewithfamily.com/bes...etzels-recipe/
This is the recipe I used I used soy milk because of dairy allergy .I also brushed them with a slurry of diastic malt powder for color
Old 04-06-2020, 09:40 AM

Thanks Nitro!
Old 04-06-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
I did use some commercial yeast and have been keeping it going for a couple
Weeks now. It kind of slowed down a bit and i think the wild yeast might be taking over “somewhat.” No matter it’s a great way to extend a precious bottle of yeast.
Hot tip for getting yeast right now: If you have a Superstore close by, go to the in store bakery. They sell fresh yeast blocks by the pound. $2.50 I believe. Any recipe with dried yeast can be done with fresh yeast. Triple the weight for fresh. So if it says 10g of dried yeast, you use 30g of fresh. Amazing stuff. I might never buy dried again actually.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
Thanks josey, it’s been 19 days I believe. I’m trying to be patient but I’m itching to try baking some bread lol.

I fed it twice a day for a while last week and have gone back to once a day lately. I can’t feed it twice on days I’m working.

I was hoping to use it this week since I don’t go back to work until Saturday. I’ll just continue feeding and maybe next days off it will be ready. We made sourdough pancakes last week and they were a big hit.

I like the looks of Nitros pretzels, I might have to try those.

I’m not too sure but I think I’d say it’s more sour than fruity and yeasty. I’ll start feeding twice a day again. I am weighing the starter, flour and water out in a 1:1:1 ratio.
Yeah I know it's hard to wait but when it's ready it keeps forever if you take care of it.
Here are some recipes to try until it's ready:

Biscuits:
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/reci...iscuits-recipe
I love to add cheese, chives, ham or bacon... possibilities are endless

Crackers:
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/reci...rackers-recipe
same here you can top these with anything, herbs, spices, etc.

Waffles/Pancakes:
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/reci...ancakes-recipe
I love the waffles.

Also, you can add it to any yeast recipe for bread for extra flavour. Take say 50g of the discard and replace 50g of the flour and water in the recipe (just deduct the amount). Also in pizza dough!

Old 04-06-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Hot tip for getting yeast right now: If you have a Superstore close by, go to the in store bakery. They sell fresh yeast blocks by the pound. $2.50 I believe. Any recipe with dried yeast can be done with fresh yeast. Triple the weight for fresh. So if it says 10g of dried yeast, you use 30g of fresh. Amazing stuff. I might never buy dried again actually.

It’s a good tip. I buy fresh yeast when I’m going to be making a lot of pizzas. It definitely tastes better. It “can” be frozen but I’ve never bothered as it keeps in the fridge for a good 3 weeks.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:31 AM

Quote:
It’s a good tip. I buy fresh yeast when I’m going to be making a lot of pizzas. It definitely tastes better. It “can” be frozen but I’ve never bothered as it keeps in the fridge for a good 3 weeks.
It was hilarious because the kid in the bakery had a big smile when I asked. He said nobody ever asks for it and he keeps walking past the baking supply aisle and shake his head at people looking for yeast. They have pounds and pounds in the bakery. He even offered some people and they waved off.

Old 04-07-2020, 09:30 AM

https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...eid=ff134e3057
Old 04-16-2020, 01:07 PM

If anybody needs flour. Sobeys has 20kg bags now. A mill in SK, price is really good too.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:19 PM

Will be starting my oven this weekend. Check youtube for "Exercise ball pizza oven" I don't have fire bricks, just regular bricks. You also use high heat cement and vermiculite. I bought the cement and the ceramic insulating blanket already. I only have about $200.00 into mine so far. I also have some reclaimed 6X6 for the base.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
Will be starting my oven this weekend. Check youtube for "Exercise ball pizza oven" I don't have fire bricks, just regular bricks. You also use high heat cement and vermiculite. I bought the cement and the ceramic insulating blanket already. I only have about $200.00 into mine so far. I also have some reclaimed 6X6 for the base.
A worthy project! I used an excercise ball for the very top 4 or so rows of bricks. I didn’t see the video but I assume that you’ll be using Brick for the entire oven? My one word of advise is make sure nothing can move not the base, especially not the archway (use buttresses for that-super important).

When you lay the bricks the inside edges will be basically brick on brick as they’re tilted. So the back/outside edges will be further apart... cut wedges of brick and wedge the outside spaces so that you aren’t relying on the mortar for compressive strength.

Insulation is so important, if you have vermeculite you can make some “thermo mortar” make a base of that 2”-3” thick. If you don’t the slab will
Suck the heat out of the oven.

TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES! And show us...
Old 04-16-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
It might be a good idea to start a new thread .... wood fired ovens.
That way the “bread thread” can stay for bread.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:20 PM

Default Bulk Dried Yeast

Found a 260g take-out pie slice container of dried yeast at Safeway in Woodbine in the baking aisle today.
Asked for fresh at the bakery but No-Go

But this will work
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yeast.jpg (34.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 08-29-2020, 02:31 PM

Default Pellet Grill Ciabatta

Been working on my Ciabatta Technique to get best grain and chew.
These high hydration doughs are a big challenge to me as they are more batter than dough and finished shape keeps morphing.

Neighbors give 2 thumbs up on taste and chew and are willing to forgive the shape

Cooked in the Pit Boss
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cia2.jpg (45.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg cia1.jpg (42.8 KB, 22 views)
Old 08-29-2020, 03:07 PM

Next batch on deck.8 more to go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cia3.jpg (26.6 KB, 17 views)
Old 08-31-2020, 09:54 AM

Nice! Do you have a pic of the crumb? I'll have to make ciabatta soon.

Old 08-31-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Nice! Do you have a pic of the crumb? I'll have to make ciabatta soon.
Next step I need to source a Couche.
Right now the neighbors are happy as I am making about 15 doz a week to try and improve the quality and shape. Crumb is about 60% of where I want it to be. But I am still new to this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ciab3.jpg (31.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg ciab1.jpg (30.5 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by omega50; 08-31-2020 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Next step I need to source a Couche.
Right now the neighbors are happy as I am making about 15 doz a week to try and improve the quality and shape. Crumb is about 60% of where I want it to be. But I am still new to this.
Looks great!
I got this couche: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00L3O...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It’s nice and large. I see it’s unavailable right now but maybe keep an eye on it. I paid $35

Old 01-31-2021, 04:10 PM

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but wondering who is still making sour dough here. I got some 7 inch banneton and a couple 15 inch baguette bannetons. I've also been making maple flavored beans. Last weekend I made chili with those beans, made a baguette. After it cooled I sliced it, put garlic butter on it and back in the oven to heat and melt the butter. I ate twice what I normally do. Lol