Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-27-2020, 08:57 AM

Default The all new Rapala X-rap Haku

https://youtu.be/0Drje-1BzE8

i cant wait to give this lure a try

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-27-2020, 09:24 AM

A glide bait with a detaching hook system. I would need to have one in my hand to judge it but I would question the lifespan vs benefits of the detaching hook system

My guess is it will catch fish but likely be a model that never truly catches on

If I showed you what is being made by some of the small lure builders out there you would need more tackle box’s and a second job

Last edited by Smoky buck; 01-27-2020 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:16 AM

I use a lot of savage stuff with the hook detach or line through system....it has its benefits and its drawbacks. Any small weed snag before a strike = missed fish.... but I do find the hook sets are better and usually not near as deep compared to something with fixed hooks.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:45 AM

I guess it would all depend on how long that little plastic snap piece will last. Rapala does makes some good products. I'd have to test it out before I'm completely sold on it.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

it will be destroyed very shortly with this quick detaching system....man even if you use cheap imitation spoons the gators destroy them real quick....gotta go with simple stupid good quality...don't get me wrong their X-Raps are awesome but this is just like throwing 20 dollar bills out the window.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-27-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
it will be destroyed very shortly with this quick detaching system....man even if you use cheap imitation spoons the gators destroy them real quick....gotta go with simple stupid good quality...don't get me wrong their X-Raps are awesome but this is just like throwing 20 dollar bills out the window.
I was thinking of that as well, Rapala claims that they sell replacement quick detaching system or you can also easily make the replacements yourself.

Respect wildlife
Old 01-27-2020, 11:21 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
I was thinking of that as well, Rapala claims that they sell replacement quick detaching system or you can also easily make the replacements yourself.
hmmm down time on the water...I like fishing not fixing...I try to avoid down time as much as possible....even though sometimes poop happens.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-27-2020, 01:20 PM

I just don’t really see what advantage the quick release system would provide.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:30 PM

After thinking this design more

In my opinion the rear hooks are usually not an issue with hook up or keeping the fish hooked up because they line up with the tow point applying good pressure. The belly hooks are where the angle changes giving a fish the ability to leverage the hook more. The only advantage I am see on this paint is the finish should last longer by staying out of the month during the fighting

They should have just went with a line through system with a rugger grommet that snugged into the back just to control the hook well twitching or free falling the bait.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:43 PM

What i want to see is for someone to design a Hard Jerkbait with a sponge core that you can inject you own favourite scent into that slowly releases leaving a trail of goodness for the fish.

Respect wildlife
Old 01-27-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
What i want to see is for someone to design a Hard Jerkbait with a sponge core that you can inject you own favourite scent into that slowly releases leaving a trail of goodness for the fish.
It would have to be small sponge core. Glide style jerks are finicky to weight for the slow fall and if the sponge core was too big it would take on too much water screwing up the action.

But odds are yes I could build one
Old 01-27-2020, 03:06 PM

Makes me think back to the old Chummin' Rub.

You can add scented tape to it.
https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Fish...e-FISALLB.html
Old 01-27-2020, 03:29 PM

Needs a lip for Winefred bai!
Old 03-26-2020, 02:32 PM

I received a couple today. They were the only colour available on the Rapala site. They shipped and then Rapala suspended shipping the next day. Hopefully they do the trick on big spring pike!

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 03-26-2020, 02:50 PM

I wonder how much this one will cost. Iam not going to rush out there to buy one thats for sure
Old 03-26-2020, 03:02 PM

Interesting. I have to handle a lot of fish in a season so I remove all trebles/hooks and I add a ring, barrel swivel, ring and then single hook to the back of the lure and call it good. Keeps the leverage factor to a minimum.
Maybe I miss a few more than most, I don't really know? Seems to work fine.

I do agree even the simple spoons are getting crazy expensive.

Osky
Old 03-26-2020, 07:16 PM

IMO Rapala hasn't come up with a worthwhile product since the Shad Rap... and I still prefer the original. IMO if it isn't made of balsa wood I may as well be spending my money elsewhere.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
IMO Rapala hasn't come up with a worthwhile product since the Shad Rap... and I still prefer the original. IMO if it isn't made of balsa wood I may as well be spending my money elsewhere.
Yup, way over priced, the entire line. I used to love Rapala's, but what they are charging now is insane.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-26-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
If your not impressed with the mass produced lures look into the smaller builders there is some extremely impressive lures being made out there. With larger baits for pike/musky/lakers/strippers you won’t find much for balsa though because it is weak most go to woods like cedar. Builders for smaller bass size baits use balsa

If you really want quality lures or quality wood lures they are out there but most are sold online, word of mouth, and shows. Heck even if you have a bait that is no longer made there is guys who can replicate it

Very rare I buy a mass produced hard bait
Old 03-27-2020, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Yup, way over priced, the entire line. I used to love Rapala's, but what they are charging now is insane.
Furthermore, Rapala has become the rough fishing equivalent of Stanly Tools. Buying up great lure companies all over the globe and moving production to the pacific rim. To be fair they are not the only fishing lure company to do this, but the were one of the first and they are one of the biggest. I do keep some Rapala products in my tacklebox, but I do make a conscious attempt to keep them minimal.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Furthermore, Rapala has become the rough fishing equivalent of Stanly Tools. Buying up great lure companies all over the globe and moving production to the pacific rim. To be fair they are not the only fishing lure company to do this, but the were one of the first and they are one of the biggest. I do keep some Rapala products in my tacklebox, but I do make a conscious attempt to keep them minimal.
And ........ as a result, the quality of the hooks, rings and other components has certainly declined measurably.

If I ever buy a Rapala, the hooks/rings get changed out immediately - which, in reality, makes it that much more expensive to ultimately use.

Regarding this product, I'm not sure I see the benefits outweighing the potential issues with the detachable hook.

Sharp, Quality hooks, and using low stretch leader/line increase hook ups and penetration more than anything else.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:18 PM

Part of my fishing enjoyment is trying new things, whether that’s techniques or new hook styles. I hadn’t seen a comparable hook locally and I have enough other activities that making my own lures isn’t viable.

As for the pacific rim comment, most Rapala lures are made in Estonia now. If you mean reels and rods, they are no different than other brands like Shimano.

Old 03-29-2020, 06:29 PM

I'm mostly just in awe of that amazing perch they catch at 1:53.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Part of my fishing enjoyment is trying new things, whether that’s techniques or new hook styles. I hadn’t seen a comparable hook locally and I have enough other activities that making my own lures isn’t viable.

As for the pacific rim comment, most Rapala lures are made in Estonia now. If you mean reels and rods, they are no different than other brands like Shimano.
Can completely respect the trying new techniques and lures I do the same.

Hopefully your new glider hooks a good one. I would be curious about the durability of the detaching hook system after the lure has had some good wear
Old 03-29-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Can completely respect the trying new techniques and lures I do the same.

Hopefully your new glider hooks a good one. I would be curious about the durability of the detaching hook system after the lure has had some good wear
I hope the same. If the hook holders have issues maybe a nick in the spine of the lure over the hook locations, and a simple rubber binder put in place to hold the hooks up. I look forward to an actual use report.

Osky
Old 03-30-2020, 08:00 PM

Nope.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:49 AM

I did an unboxing video of the Haku and the Peto 14 as well. It gave me something to do while sitting inside, not fishing.

https://youtu.be/9-sO2Fs7s6k

Old 05-16-2020, 07:18 AM

I’ve had this bait on the water for a little over a week now and thought I would give a report.

All of the following (plus 30 or so small hammer handles) have been caught on the one Rapala Haku, so I believe that I have given it a solid test.

The little red clip has held up just fine. No evidence of wear or weakening on it at this point. The finish seems to be better than most. I think because the body of the bait isn’t usually in the fishes mouth while fighting it, the teeth don’t mark it up as much. The hooks are also more stout than the typical Rapala hooks on their baits.

It is an expensive lure to be sure, but I’ve gotten more than my money’s worth of fun out of it to date. It’s lasted me much longer than the softbaits I usually use and been very effective.