Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2020, 03:36 PM
Banned

Why dont you just say your waiting for your folks to pass so that you can get your inheritance. Because that seems like what your waiting for.
I have scum bag siblings too that see my folks as dollar signs also

So you seen how your folks were able to turn what their parents gave them into a little "empire". Their hard work in the oil patch, which im guessing is a level so low that you would never consider doing it yourself. None of their success and work ethic obviously rubbed off on you. I bet your siblings are doing a lot better than you and your probably a little jealous.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
You have just perfectly explained entitlement.

You are living on peanuts waiting for the folks to go toes up so you don't have to work anymore.
Not true at all. I hope my parents live a long time yet. When they pass away, I will be a good steward of the inheritance. Most of it will go straight to my children, who will be raised with the same values.

I could retire before age 50 without relying at all on inheritance, simply because we can live so cheaply and save a lot of money. But I will probably continue working because that will provide a larger safety net for my children.

Quote:
I still think I know who this is, why not tell the real story?

G'men we are being trolled. Someone hiding the house suffering from 'anxiety' is playing games. No more outta me. Don't feed the troll.
I don't think I know you. No anxiety here.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
You have just perfectly explained entitlement.

You are living on peanuts waiting for the folks to go toes up so you don't have to work anymore.

I still think I know who this is, why not tell the real story?

G'men we are being trolled. Someone hiding the house suffering from 'anxiety' is playing games. No more outta me. Don't feed the troll.
bingo i was typing as you were typing
Old 04-02-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamburt View Post
As for living expenses, yes, we live on $20K/year. Food is the biggest expense.
Forgive me, but I don't believe you unless you're still mooching off your parents with them paying house taxes, insurance, maintenance, utilities, etc. For reference, the poverty line in Canada is right around $40k and you're stating to be living at half of it. Half the poverty line....
Old 04-02-2020, 03:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Forgive me, but I don't believe you unless you're still mooching off your parents with them paying house taxes, insurance, maintenance, utilities, etc. For reference, the poverty line in Canada is right around $40k and you're stating to be living at half of it. Half the poverty line....
That poverty line is probably including rental costs of $20K/year so the total would be $40K/year. We get a higher standard of living for our dollars than your average person because we are price conscious and do a lot of things ourselves that other people would pay for. We eat very well.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
There is not much risk. They are in a frenzy buying up a finite resource and the government is on their side (ie. high immigration, high regulations on new housing supply). And very little work involved. Right now, some provincial governments are currently bailing landlords out by subsidizing rent payments. They are parasites because they are adding no value. They are simply middle-men who cause the price of housing to be a lot higher than it otherwise would be, thereby causing a lot of hardship for other people, so that they can get some easy money.
Quote:
That is often true as real estate speculators are in such a frenzy that they bid up prices to the point where rentals are cash flow negative, yet landlords are still buying expecting large capital gains. At least in hot markets like Toronto that's the point they have reached.

These speculators are a curse and the government should be stepping in to shut it down. They result in an extreme elevation of housing prices to the detriment of everyone else (many of whom are then forced to rent from those speculators). But governments like it so far because that means higher property values and higher taxes, and the average Canadian idiot hasn't yet figured all this out and given the government a mandate to step in. I think it will happen soon. We are nearing the breaking point where there's not much upside left but a lot of downside. I'm still hopeful the virus will trigger a correction but it's so unknown that we have to watch and see.
I have a feeling you are going to find life after Covid19 even harder

You will likely see a drop in the market in some areas with the economy which will do nothing to improve the situation for people already finding things difficult. What is also likely to happen if you look back on history of other major economic down turns is an increase in housing demand in cities with people leaving smaller areas in search of work. Talk to people who have gone through depressions and tough times

But keep googling how your getting screwed by the system and pray for government to save you lol

The system is fine the problem is you fail at adapting and improving your situation.

Myself and a very large portion of Canadians will pass on the government intervention we are doing fine without it
Old 04-02-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
That poverty line is probably including rental costs of $20K/year so the total would be $40K/year. We get a higher standard of living for our dollars than your average person because we are price conscious and do a lot of things ourselves that other people would pay for. We eat very well.
$20K a year ?????….. my primary home where we live …. and I have no mortgage, car payments or other "debt" cost associated with my primary residence ….. I find this very hard to believe (rent or mortgage free or not).

Property Tax - $5000/yr
Utilities - $4000/yr
Phone/Internet/Cable - $3000/yr
Fuel for Cars - $4000/yr
Insurance House/Cars - $4000/yr

$ 20,000 there already ...........ooooopppps ….. none left for food already ……… and still bills to pay for cost of living ………

I realize Maybe this may be 25-30% higher than average - but these are my numbers, in real life, and the point is the same …..

There is NO WAY you can cover living costs @ $20K/yr

More like $50K/yr IMO
Old 04-02-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
That is often true as real estate speculators are in such a frenzy that they bid up prices to the point where rentals are cash flow negative, yet landlords are still buying expecting large capital gains. At least in hot markets like Toronto that's the point they have reached.

These speculators are a curse and the government should be stepping in to shut it down. They result in an extreme elevation of housing prices to the detriment of everyone else (many of whom are then forced to rent from those speculators). But governments like it so far because that means higher property values and higher taxes, and the average Canadian idiot hasn't yet figured all this out and given the government a mandate to step in. I think it will happen soon. We are nearing the breaking point where there's not much upside left but a lot of downside. I'm still hopeful the virus will trigger a correction but it's so unknown that we have to watch and see.
You are right, Canadians haven’t figured it out yet. Foreign buyers shop the world, and then they see the Canadian market, they buy enmass. I delayed my first home purchase because I thought I needed a larger down payment. In the year I scraped together another 25k, house prices jumped 50k. Go figure.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Disagree. My parents owe me, and I'll tell you why. They inherited a lot from my grandparents. My grandparents however didn't give them everything so that they could cruise around the world having fun, they gave it to them with the expectation that they would have children, live frugally, and pass everything along similarly. That is how our civilization works. Life isn't about having fun for yourself and telling the next generation that you don't owe them anything and that they should fend for themselves.

Lucky for me, my parents are smart to that. Despite my dad dropping out of high school, they managed to do quite well mainly thanks to the oil boom (largely luck of when and where they were born). They ended up being worth a few million just from working oil and buying land that tripled in value in a short period of time. A few years ago they gave us free housing to live in until we buy our own. Very fair I think. My grandparents helped my parents build three houses from scratch, so they received a lot of help in that way.

Our family of 4 lives on $20K/yr so we are not wasteful at all. I learned to live that way from my parents and grandparents. The only vacations we ever did were hunting and fishing which are practically free. Wife works part time and we saved $80K after-tax last year. We are sitting very comfortably so I have nothing to complain about. I just wish we could have a correction in the housing market so we can get more house for our dollar, but unfortunately the government is hell bent on propping up the bubble. We will probably be buying within the next couple years.

All I am saying in this thread is that I can sympathize with the tenants who don't want to pay rent. If you guys can't, then it's because your own brains are incapable of understanding their position. And the reason for that is probably because you're too full of yourselves to admit that you were born into the most prosperous place and time in the world's history and your success is not purely due to your innate greatness, but to your very advantageous circumstances. I've never said that exploiting others is bad, just that you have to be realistic. Naturally tenants are going to hate landlords in this situation and if they have the opportunity to withhold rent or damage things, there's a good chance they will take it.
Curious, how much are your ‘parasitic’ parents are charging you for rent? I don’t have as much problem with those that can’t pay the rent compared to those that don’t want to pay the rent.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Disagree. My parents owe me, and I'll tell you why. They inherited a lot from my grandparents. My grandparents however didn't give them everything so that they could cruise around the world having fun, they gave it to them with the expectation that they would have children, live frugally, and pass everything along similarly. That is how our civilization works. Life isn't about having fun for yourself and telling the next generation that you don't owe them anything and that they should fend for themselves.

Lucky for me, my parents are smart to that. Despite my dad dropping out of high school, they managed to do quite well mainly thanks to the oil boom (largely luck of when and where they were born). They ended up being worth a few million just from working oil and buying land that tripled in value in a short period of time. A few years ago they gave us free housing to live in until we buy our own. Very fair I think. My grandparents helped my parents build three houses from scratch, so they received a lot of help in that way.

Our family of 4 lives on $20K/yr so we are not wasteful at all. I learned to live that way from my parents and grandparents. The only vacations we ever did were hunting and fishing which are practically free. Wife works part time and we saved $80K after-tax last year. We are sitting very comfortably so I have nothing to complain about. I just wish we could have a correction in the housing market so we can get more house for our dollar, but unfortunately the government is hell bent on propping up the bubble. We will probably be buying within the next couple years.

All I am saying in this thread is that I can sympathize with the tenants who don't want to pay rent. If you guys can't, then it's because your own brains are incapable of understanding their position. And the reason for that is probably because you're too full of yourselves to admit that you were born into the most prosperous place and time in the world's history and your success is not purely due to your innate greatness, but to your very advantageous circumstances. I've never said that exploiting others is bad, just that you have to be realistic. Naturally tenants are going to hate landlords in this situation and if they have the opportunity to withhold rent or damage things, there's a good chance they will take it.
Wow! another trust fund child out to save the world with everyone else's money! Think you belong in Ottawa!

You are correct about one ting, we boomers were born in a time of great opportunity. The rest of the story is, we busted our butts and made the best of it! Guess you missed that part.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
$20K a year ?????….. my primary home where we live …. and I have no mortgage, car payments or other "debt" cost associated with my primary residence ….. I find this very hard to believe (rent or mortgage free or not).

Property Tax - $5000/yr
Utilities - $4000/yr
Fuel for Cars - $4000/yr

$ 20,000 there already ...........ooooopppps ….. none left for food already ……… and still bills to pay for cost of living ………

I realize Maybe this may be 25-30% higher than average - but these are my numbers, in real life, and the point is the same …..

There is NO WAY you can cover living costs @ $20K/yr

More like $50K/yr IMO
Phone/Internet/Cable = $500/year
Fuel = $1500/year
Insurance for car = $800/year

You're spending $8200/year more than we spend on those 3 items.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

Property Tax - $5000/yr
Utilities - $4000/yr
Fuel for Cars - $4000/yr
I hear you on these, I had a talk with my insurance agent today about this. I said I may be dropping house and boat insurance this year if things don't improve. She got all panicy, and I said there is no point insuring a cold house with no heat, power, water or food in it. I can't eat the house and boat sales are at a stop right now.

I dropped insurance on my trucks, will pull the batteries and hope they don't walk. Can't eat them either.

(I'm not starving yet, just watching pennies as the dollars are flying out the door)

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-02-2020, 05:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
You are right, Canadians haven’t figured it out yet. Foreign buyers shop the world, and then they see the Canadian market, they buy enmass. I delayed my first home purchase because I thought I needed a larger down payment. In the year I scraped together another 25k, house prices jumped 50k. Go figure.
Shame on Canadians for selling out this country to the highest bidder... to fund their retirement, at the expense of their children living in a country that doesn't resemble traditional Canada anymore.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Curious, how much are your ‘parasitic’ parents are charging you for rent? I don’t have as much problem with those that can’t pay the rent compared to those that don’t want to pay the rent.
My parents are not parasitic, they are allowing us to live in a spare house on one of their properties for free. Some of you must think they are real idiots, they could kick us out on the street and be renting that space to some foreigner instead and that would be a big win for them!
Old 04-02-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Shame on Canadians for selling out this country to the highest bidder... to fund their retirement, at the expense of their children living in a country that doesn't resemble traditional Canada anymore.
So, how much rent are you depriving your parents of?

Canada was made of immigrants who toiled for thier homesteads. Every sibling in my family owns thier homes. We haven’t seen any inheritance, nor do we depend on it.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:26 PM

You know the more I read these posts they become familiar

This BS has been spouted before under a different handle I am about 95% sure
Old 04-02-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:

Canada was made of immigrants who toiled for thier homesteads.
It’s ok his parents still owe him lol
Old 04-02-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:

Canada was made of immigrants who toiled for thier homesteads.
Quote:
My parents are not parasitic, they are allowing us to live in a spare house on one of their properties for free. Some of you must think they are real idiots, they could kick us out on the street and be renting that space to some foreigner instead and that would be a big win for them!
We are being punked here, where's Ashton? Wasn't april fools yesterday?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-02-2020, 05:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
Wow! another trust fund child out to save the world with everyone else's money! Think you belong in Ottawa!
On the contrary, I'm not trying to spend anyone's money. I am an advocate of smaller government. I'd love to see the government not bail people out, and let the housing bubble deflate as it naturally would if not for government actions to keep it inflated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
You are correct about one ting, we boomers were born in a time of great opportunity. The rest of the story is, we busted our butts and made the best of it! Guess you missed that part.
Every generation works approximately as hard as the others. The main difference between generations is not the people themselves, but the environment that there exist in (social, political, etc). Boomers were born into the most propitious opportunity that mankind has known. Sadly, their success got to their head in many cases leading them to believe that their success was solely due to their personal greatness!
Old 04-02-2020, 05:35 PM
Banned

Quote:

Canada was made of immigrants who toiled for thier homesteads. Every sibling in my family owns thier homes. We haven’t seen any inheritance, nor do we depend on it.
Congrats on being old enough that you could buy houses >15 years ago. A real accomplishment!
Old 04-02-2020, 05:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
On the contrary, I'm not trying to spend anyone's money. I am an advocate of smaller government. I'd love to see the government not bail people out, and let the housing bubble deflate as it naturally would if not for government actions to keep it inflated.

Every generation works approximately as hard as the others. The main difference between generations is not the people themselves, but the environment that there exist in (social, political, etc). Boomers were born into the most propitious opportunity that mankind has known. Sadly, their success got to their head in many cases leading them to believe that their success was solely due to their personal greatness!

1 Your folks are bailing you out, its obvious you wouldnt survive if they werent giving you hand outs and supporting you

2 You obviously havent worked as hard as the previous generations because your 10000000% relying on the previous generations hard work in order for you to survive

You dont think that the previous 20 years in alberta wasnt prosperous?????
Old 04-02-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:

At no point do I not appreciate what this country has provided me in opportunity. That doesn’t mean I take advantage of others.

It has come to my attention, that you are simply not qualified to discuss the topic at hand

Good day
Old 04-02-2020, 05:36 PM
Banned

I hope someone on here knows you and shows this to your family

100% outta the will
Then what?
Old 04-02-2020, 05:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
1 Your folks are bailing you out, its obvious you wouldnt survive if they werent giving you hand outs and supporting you
That's what families are parents are for. I feel sorry for your kids if you dumped them in the gutter at the first opportunity you had.

Quote:
2 You obviously havent worked as hard as the previous generations because your 10000000% relying on the previous generations hard work in order for you to survive

You dont think that the previous 20 years in alberta wasnt prosperous?????
Incorrect. My hard work has simply earned less, due to environmental conditions I am living in being less favorable. I've only been in the work force for 10 years. During the last 5, Alberta has been suffering.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
That's what families are parents are for. I feel sorry for your kids if you dumped them in the gutter at the first opportunity you had.

Incorrect. My hard work has simply earned less, due to environmental conditions I am living in being less favorable. I've only been in the work force for 10 years. During the last 5, Alberta has been suffering.
1 No its not. Ive seen far too many people get taken advantage of by their useless children and its financially ruined them

2 Until 6 weeks ago things were not that bad in alberta if you were willing to work and stay outta the drugs or booze
Old 04-02-2020, 05:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Foreign buyers shop the world, and then they see the Canadian market, they buy enmass.
With the money that the boomers gave them during decades of globalism, buying their cheap junk. That is another angle to how Canada was sold off.

Quote:
I hope someone on here knows you and shows this to your family

100% outta the will
Then what?
I've discussed all this with my parents and they agree. As I've said, I would be fine without an inheritance. At this point we've saved up over $500K and are ready to buy when the right opportunity presents itself. We are a family and we work together. They are not competing against me like they want to be richer or better than their kids or something. That's a sick mentality I've observed in some people.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:42 PM
Banned

The worst thing is your procreating
Old 04-02-2020, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
With the money that the boomers gave them during decades of globalism, buying their cheap junk. That is another angle to how Canada was sold off.

I've discussed all this with my parents and they agree. As I've said, I would be fine without an inheritance. At this point we've saved up over $500K and are ready to buy when the right opportunity presents itself. We are a family and we work together. They are not competing against me like they want to be richer or better than their kids or something. That's a sick mentality I've observed in some people.
Uh huh
Then why were you complaining earlier about being in debt for 20-40 years if youve saved up 500k?
Another guy that lies through his teeth and cant remember the truth anymore
Old 04-02-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:

Ok, so now your making a bit more sense. My inlaws work the same way, but everyone carries thier wieght and makes roughly equivalent contributions. You aren’t German are you? Your father must be calling the financial shots? For me, having the kids (no family) home makes the most sense, but they gotta do thier things. Your shot at landlords was cheap and unfounded. Rentals can be a good investment as holding for timed value. Unless your father sits on the bag with all his cash, he knows.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:54 PM

This guy has run this routine in the past under a different handle.

Same crying about how his parents owe him boomers sold out his future make it impossible for his generation to get ahead blah blah

The guy is still unable to figure out how to be an adult