Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2020, 06:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I applied on the 17th, got my code in the mail. But if you go on the Canada service website you can track your application progress.... received, under review, etc.....
Mines been “under review” for about a week.
The site says it can take up to 28 days before you receive.
You don't need the code, I applied and in 4 hours I had a etransfer. This was 3 days ago. Got the code in the mail yesterday
Old 04-02-2020, 07:02 AM

Trudeau's announcement of multiple programs is in my opinion intended to cause confusion and he knows the systems will be overwhelmed, crash and fail.

He announces multiple billions of dollars in aid most of which are deferrals and the actual cash aid is tied up in bureaucracy and system failure.

I wonder at the end of the day how much actual cash aid will reach those who need it???

That being said Nog don't give up and I wish you the best getting through and your application processed ASAP.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
No, no it isn't. This is a prime example of why people should live below their means and not rely on the government. The government, and by association, the tax payer, should not benefit from peoples good choices/luck or suffer from their bad choices/bad luck.
I just read a post somewhere in AO that stated it was the government’s fault people were not living within their means.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:39 AM

I was laid off March 10 and applied right away for the first time ever in my working life. What a gong show... Multiple reviews, decisions made, then re-evaluated, more reviews, more decisions... still haven't seen a nickle.

The issue with my claim seems to be that in addition to formerly being employed full time (my primary source of income) I also have a small business on the side. Even though that business did only 5% of what I made as an employee it's caused incredible grief dealing with EI - and that's with having a small loss on the books last year!

I've never thought to rely on the government for anything but since I've paid into it for 30 years you'd think they might throw a few scraps my way.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
I just read a post somewhere in AO that stated it was the government’s fault people were not living within their means.
The government punishes people who live within their means (taxing them more and giving them less handouts) and rewards people who live outside their means (giving them more handouts).

The government has also helped inflate and perpetuate a big housing bubble (to make our GDP appear big, to increase taxes, to skim money off the top, to perpetuate the status quo). This puts the younger generation in the position of either living beyond their means, or bumming off their parents for 10+ years.

I would say the government does everything it can to encourage people to live beyond their means. It can't force people, but based on the level of debt Canadians have I'd say they have been very successful.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophybook View Post
You don't need the code, I applied and in 4 hours I had a etransfer. This was 3 days ago. Got the code in the mail yesterday
You applied for ei and 4 hours later got money in the bank? Dam maybe I screwed up somehow.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:59 AM

Think trophybook is talking about the Alberta aid package. EI when you first apply will take darn near the full 28 days.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I imagine there are a lot of young guys living from pay check to pay check in the same shoes.
Everyone who is in need of this financial aid is in the same boat.
The system as with many others is overloaded so that being said will take time to get everyone processed.
Stay positive which will make things easier on your noodle and all will come together soon enough....pandemic situations you will not get first world immediate attention that we are accustomed too....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-02-2020, 08:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Think trophybook is talking about the Alberta aid package. EI when you first apply will take darn near the full 28 days.
Yes correct, wrong post....dam balieys and coffee
Old 04-02-2020, 08:04 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
That too adds up over time and when poop hits the fan it surfaces real quick...I know people that have lived a very outrageous lifestyle and others that kinda laid low but could have gone out and spent money they didn't have as in credit but put a money away....they now are riding this money until the EI kicks in etc while others are scrambling and yup it is everyone else's fault....I hope people learn from this cuz it is way worse than the collapse of the oil patch and yup I was in that mix too....as I am now with you In this pandemic.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-02-2020, 08:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjohn87 View Post
They will reclaim it at tax time next spring. It would be around 250b, for the 5 months. I’d like to see how much the economy is going to lose with no real revenue being generated by anyone.
How can you reclaim money that was spent on dumb things?
If you think everyone deserves $2000/month for nothing all your doing is giving the lazy people motivation to do less. If you need more money to get the things that you want outta life, I have the solution. Get a part time job! No one owes you anything.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
Sounds like communism.
I would suggest you spend 5 minutes reading about Communism to understand how it is you came to the wrong conclusion.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
How can you reclaim money that was spent on dumb things?
If you think everyone deserves $2000/month for nothing all your doing is giving the lazy people motivation to do less. If you need more money to get the things that you want outta life, I have the solution. Get a part time job! No one owes you anything.
Does the Welfare system keep people motivated to do less? Anyone right now can choose to not work and just go on welfare, the mass majority of people choose to want to own things so they get a job and advance themselves. A guaranteed income would save Canada money by getting rid of all the social programs we have and putting them under one heading.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Does the Welfare system keep people motivated to do less? Anyone right now can choose to not work and just go on welfare,
Is this a fact or a perception of yours?
Old 04-02-2020, 09:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Is this a fact or a perception of yours?
It’s my understanding that is how the welfare system works. Do you believe it works differently?
Old 04-02-2020, 09:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Does the Welfare system keep people motivated to do less? Anyone right now can choose to not work and just go on welfare, the mass majority of people choose to want to own things so they get a job and advance themselves. A guaranteed income would save Canada money by getting rid of all the social programs we have and putting them under one heading.
100% welfare is motivation not to work
So is increasing minimum wage
Guaranteed income would cost this country billions
All it would do is create higher inflation.
Nothing in this world is free
Old 04-02-2020, 09:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
100% welfare is motivation not to work
So is increasing minimum wage
Guaranteed income would cost this country billions
All it would do is create higher inflation.
Nothing in this world is free
Guaranteed income would save the country money.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:06 AM
Banned

The only people that want guaranteed income are the ones that are too lazy to work for it
Old 04-02-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
It’s my understanding that is how the welfare system works. Do you believe it works differently?
I don’t believe it’s as simple as that. No.
I’d have to check into it before I posted it as fact though. So don’t quote me.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Guaranteed income would save the country money.
Tell me, what do you do for a living? Where do you fall in the income bracket?
Old 04-02-2020, 09:08 AM
Banned

That guaranteed money has to come from somewhere
And it sure isnt going to come from me working harder so you dont have to
Old 04-02-2020, 09:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Tell me, what do you do for a living? Where do you fall in the income bracket?
100-125k

Quote:
That guaranteed money has to come from somewhere
And it sure isnt going to come from me working harder so you dont have to
You don’t seem to understand how the system works or what it replaces.

The guaranteed income system would replace ALL other forms of social assistance. Welfare, AiSh, EI, worker’s compensation. All those programs would be done away with.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
100-125k

You don’t seem to understand how the system works or what it replaces.

The guaranteed income system would replace ALL other forms of social assistance. Welfare, AiSh, EI, worker’s compensation. All those programs would be done away with.
If you made 100k plus you would not be talking about everyone getting guaranteed income. Your full of it
Old 04-02-2020, 09:20 AM
Banned

I know 100% what im talking about
Old 04-02-2020, 09:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
If you made 100k plus you would not be talking about everyone getting guaranteed income. Your full of it
But I do. Because it would save the country money. You seem to not be able to grasp the simple concept that eliminating programs saves in overhead and administrative costs.

I could draw you a diagram with stick figures in little boxes if you would like?
Old 04-02-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Lol. Why ask if you thought you knew the answer?
Take a chill pill dude.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
But I do. Because it would save the country money. You seem to not be able to grasp the simple concept that eliminating programs saves in overhead and administrative costs.

I could draw you a diagram with stick figures in little boxes if you would like?
Your shift at 7/11 doesnt start for a while so im sure you have plenty of time

So you think giving everyone money for nothing is cheaper than not giving everyone money
You do realize that cra is run by high paid accountants and in order to "collect" all this money back it would require even more of them
Do you realize how many Billions the cra budget is already?
Your not saving any admin costs
How hard is it to get money back after you have given it away?
Try it with the next homeless person you see.
Give them $100 bucks then tell them you want it back
All your doing is shuffling the $ around to make it look like your saving here but its actually costing your triple over there..
Giving people $2000/month just devalues everything in this country.
If you want to see hyper inflation just start printing money
Old 04-02-2020, 09:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Your shift at 7/11 doesnt start for a while so im sure you have plenty of time

So you think giving everyone money for nothing is cheaper than not giving everyone money
You do realize that cra is run by high paid accountants and in order to "collect" all this money back it would require even more of them
Do you realize how many Billions the cra budget is already?
Your not saving any admin costs
How hard is it to get money back after you have given it away?
Try it with the next homeless person you see.
Give them $100 bucks then tell them you want it back
All your doing is shuffling the $ around to make it look like your saving here but its actually costing your triple over there..
Giving people $2000/month just devalues everything in this country.
If you want to see hyper inflation just start printing money
Many other countries have done this and it has saved them money.

Can you explain how it worked for them but wouldn’t work for us?

A lot of conservative governments in other western countries have looked at this program as a way to reduce overhead spending.

Can you explain what they don’t know about the program that you yourself understand?
Old 04-02-2020, 09:33 AM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
Some people end up in certain situations through no fault of their own.

Having compassion for your fellow human is what separates us from the animals.
This.

In Trudy's War On The West, pipelines and oilfield workers are not the only casualties. His deranged and desperate focus on a UN seat well above and beyond anything "Canadian" has put a lot of families at risk. One such example is his government's savaging of our West Coast Fisheries. As a West Coast Vancouver Island Troller (Area G) we have seen our operating season slashed repeatedly and our quotas handed freely to another sector in the name of "Reconciliation". In short, our fleet is in tatters at this point, and most of us have been struggling to maintain an even keel for a handful of years now. I am directly in that boat.

Then, when something unforeseen comes along, The pressure often becomes a little too much to handle. My case in point: I was recently diagnosed with Deep Cranial Venous Thrombosis. Quite the mouthful to say there is a massive blood clot blocking the main vein which drains the left hemisphere of my brain. Life Threatening. Can't work. Isolated because if I now catch this damn virus, I will die.

We have always lived within our means. I drive a 22 year old truck, and our house is a rather moderate abode. Not much else for toys besides the usual hunting stuff.We have never been extravagant by any means.

But at this juncture, we are in trouble. If we have to drop to my Lady's income only, our "free" funds will run around 100 clams a month.

At 60 years of age, I have well paid my dues over the years into EI etc etc. Now, when I need some of that support in return, the current circus is preventing me from accessing that.

I am about to go into the daily cycle of calling repeatedly, hoping to eventually get into the queue, and desperately hoping that they don't let the clock run out on me once I get there yet again.

I truly hope none of you ever find yourselves in such a miserable position. It very much SUCKS.

Nog
Old 04-02-2020, 09:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Many other countries have done this and it has saved them money.

Can you explain how it worked for them but wouldn’t work for us?

A lot of conservative governments in other western countries have looked at this program as a way to reduce overhead spending.

Can you explain what they don’t know about the program that you yourself understand?
What countries give people money for free??
Tell me what their tax rates are too