Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-03-2020, 01:46 PM

watching old oilers hockey brings back fond memories
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-03-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Not only equipment advances like sticks, skates, goalie pad size etc.... but also the ice technology is way better.

Used to be you would get 20,000 people into a stadium and you were skating on slush by the end of the second period. Going into the corners meant getting wet.

Also nutrition, fitness and, of course, performance enhancing drugs make a huge difference in a players ability.

So many changes ....... two different games.
Yup two different games for sure. Those that like hockey now over the mans sport back then probably shut the fridge door with their hip....
Old 04-03-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Not only equipment advances like sticks, skates, goalie pad size etc.... but also the ice technology is way better.

Used to be you would get 20,000 people into a stadium and you were skating on slush by the end of the second period. Going into the corners meant getting wet.

Also nutrition, fitness and, of course, performance enhancing drugs make a huge difference in a players ability.

So many changes ....... two different games.
Agreed, some guys would have a smoke in between periods, then again 3-4 minute shifts were not un common.

I gotta say I loved the game of the 80's and ya know.... still love it.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Yup two different games for sure. Those that like hockey now over the mans sport back then probably shut the fridge door with their hip....
When I close my fridge with my hip, it stays closed.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-03-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
X 2, nothing like a good hip check; but what I hate is when all the magnets and grand-kids art hits the floor.....hahahaha

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Touché!!! lol.....
Old 04-03-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Something tells me that you never played the game at a notable level
Old 04-03-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
Something tells me that you never played the game at a notable level
Only house league until 17. Then numerous men’s leagues .Still allowed an opinion no?
Old 04-03-2020, 03:18 PM
Banned

I’m thinking the oilers from back then would do just fine these days. Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, Kurri, Anderson etc.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
watching old oilers hockey brings back fond memories
YUP, and the other night when they play Game 7 Oilers Flames 1986. I was a ****ed off still as I was then!

BW
Old 04-03-2020, 03:36 PM

Pretty tough to compare any professional sport from the good old days to current. There's a reason it was called a puck fight, now it's like going to the ballet.....
Old 04-03-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Pretty tough to compare any professional sport from the good old days to current. There's a reason it was called a puck fight, now it's like going to the ballet.....
Yup totally hear you. Other games like football or baseball stayed the same pretty much with the exception of guys being more athletic nowadays. But with the NHL they took hitting out of the league. It’s a very snowflake league now.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:02 PM

when the oilers came in the league they changed the game to what we see today
Old 04-04-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:

Give this a few minutes. This was the other night at Zanies Nashville. A round table discussion by three past enforcers Jim Mackenzie, Stu Grimson and Kelly Chase.
Discussing their careers, the role of the enforcer in those days and the fights they had with each other.

https://youtu.be/da2L3UezVxU
Old 04-04-2020, 11:39 AM

I still love watching replays of games from the 80's & 90's - we even have most taped on VHS! Some of my favourite players of all time are guys like Cam Neely, Doug Gilmour, Scott Stevens, & Gary Roberts.

But if you think someone like Ovechkin wouldn't score 100 goals per year in the 80's you're delusional.

Players now aren't softer, it's just a different league with different rules. Player safety is now at the forefront whether you like it or not. The data are pretty clear on head trauma and CTE. It's a real thing & has serious long term consequences. Like a lot of things, we just know better now.

Physically, guys now are in far superior condition than any other era. Bigger, stronger, faster - it's not even comparable. Sure there are some outliers but they're the exception not the rule.

It's natural to think the era you grew watching was 'the best' - I have that bias too.

As far as entertainment value, I much prefer the 80's and 90's because the game had aspects in it that I really enjoyed.

But whenever I watch old games, objectively I can't deny that it's a much slower, generally sloppier game with average goaltending. It just is.