Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-25-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderheart View Post
extra fire steel wool lights and when you blow on it it glows red hot and starts tinder real well ... try it
2x... on the steel wool, it works great.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:19 PM

I've tried the Blastmatch with WetFire and it worked well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYRK...=youtube_gdata
Old 12-26-2012, 05:46 AM

I always have a few small bics in my pack and a little bit of birch bark or some pine pitch wrapped up in TP. I save the birch bark or pine pitch for really wet situations. For tinder start with the dryest, dead, smallest, twigs from a spruce tree, toothpick size. Gather up a handfull and you are good to go. Practice helps.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:23 AM
Banned

Birchbark and strike anywhere matches. I always get a kick out of waterproof matches that are not strike anywhere, even with matches that are not waterproofed the strikepad on your matchbox soaks up water faster than the matches themselves, so these things are about as usefull as a solar powered flashlight. Just keep fresh Redbirds in a waterproof container, bring a ziplock bag and replentish your birchbark whenever you can. Birchbark will light even when wet.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:36 AM

Esbit stoves work awesome, the little pucks are lightwight and burn at over 200 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:22 AM

Smile Oh well

If you want to add something else, candle stubs, light the candle, saves matches and lighter, use candle to get the kindling going.

Remember Indian fire, small get close to keep warm, white man fire very large keep warm running around looking for wood!

You could always bring a can of sterno, you used to be able to get it from army surplus stores, just use a small amount each time.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:55 AM

The lightest and best is steel wool and a 9volt battery just touch some of the wool to both terminals of the battery and have your kindling nearby. Windproof and waterproof.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman View Post
The lightest and best is steel wool and a 9volt battery just touch some of the wool to both terminals of the battery and have your kindling nearby. Windproof and waterproof.
Till the battery dies or the steel wool gets all rusty

Small birthday candles
Esbit stoves
Vaseline/cotton balls
Old 12-26-2012, 01:16 PM

Get some paraffin from a canning supply store melt it down and stir some shredded paper into it. Cheap and very effective. Lint works ok in paraffin too, but smells and doesn't seem to last as long as the paper. I keep some of this in a small otter box with a lighter powered mini torch and a spare lighter as back up/refill when I wander around.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:25 PM

I like pine pitch. You also need matches.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Gone Hunting

My family has a tradition of a "spring picnic" and now the kids are grown up we don't often get the chance much anymore.

Last spring we went out for one but forgot any matches or a lighter.

We had a bit of paper and I mentioned we could probably get it smouldering with the trucks electric cigarette lighter. My son had seen survivor man enough to know if you got a smouldering ember going you could blow it into flames in the right tinder(dry shredded bark).

I prepared the campfire site and he got a big chunk of bark and went to the truck and got fire going with the lighter and brought fire to the picnic area in his bark tray. He was proud as....well a man who had made fire. And so was I.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 12-26-2012, 04:08 PM

Birch bark works well and can be found all over. Small pieces of rubber inner tubes burn well even when wet. If you can find some fatwood that is excellent as well.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 12-26-2012, 04:21 PM
Banned

Hmmmmm....if I was unsure of how to build a fire in the middle of nowhere.....I think it best to pack a flare gun with ya hahahaha.
These days I just bring my chainsaw and use one of my several lighters to get the flame goin, right after I light my smoke and crack a beer. Oh ya....and the daily newspaper underneath the kindling works good hahaha
Old 12-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
wow! superheros do exist.
Ya I was thinking the same thing if it was done on purpose. And even if it was by accident cause they got lost....it's impressive. Your a better man than I friendo
Old 12-26-2012, 05:52 PM

Matches and lighter and mouse nest(in plastic bag; 1 in saddle bag and one in pocket) and toilet paper(dual purpose).
Old 12-26-2012, 06:06 PM

Bring your favorite .30 cal cartridge and some pliers. Pull the bullet, then empty some 55+ grains of powder. Ought to help get things started!
Old 12-26-2012, 06:36 PM

Zips cubes and a Bic.Never found the need to try anything else,they work great.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman View Post
And it'll start in wet weather as well.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:24 PM

Last edited by AdverseCity; 12-26-2012 at 11:25 PM. Reason: posted in wrong thread