Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-25-2012, 01:51 PM

Default Dog booties

Has anyone found dog booties that stay on. My lab gets running and the velcro strap pops and then the booite is gone. I tried the real high booties and they filled with snow and off they come.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:04 PM

I agree. I need a set for my GWP too.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
Has anyone found dog booties that stay on. My lab gets running and the velcro strap pops and then the booite is gone. I tried the real high booties and they filled with snow and off they come.
From experience there is nothing worse that having to backtrack and find lost footwear in the snow ..... lol !! We had some custom made for our lab by a lady in Regina, unfortunately they did not last well. Over the years, with a variety of dogs, any that we found to stay on also wore out very quickly ............... very interested to hear the experiences of others.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:06 PM

My Aussie uses Ruffwear! Very durable and they stay on!

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 12-25-2012, 03:24 PM

Just tried the Muttluks on the mutt. She flung one off right away, and is now pouting in her kennel because she thinks I was punishing her by putting the boots on.

Next time, tighter.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:46 PM

We have muttluks, the trick is getting the right size! And then, there is no such thing as too tight! They stay on our collie just fine!

He doesn't like wearing 'em though! He acts like the most pitiful dog in the world...until he gets walking and forgets there even there!
Old 12-25-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormachek View Post
We have muttluks, the trick is getting the right size! And then, there is no such thing as too tight! They stay on our collie just fine!

He doesn't like wearing 'em though! He acts like the most pitiful dog in the world...until he gets walking and forgets there even there!
Pitiful about describes it. LOL

Next time, tighter (maybe tomorrow morning).
Old 12-25-2012, 04:27 PM

Thanks for the idea folks. Poor pups needs better boots for roaming the property, Ruff Wear Bark'n Boots looks pretty durable, anyone try?
Old 12-25-2012, 04:43 PM

We also have the Ruffwear (Polar) boots and find they are inconsistent as far as whether they stay on or not... Can't figure out why one time they stay on and the next they don't...

P

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinawalli View Post
My Aussie uses Ruffwear! Very durable and they stay on!
Old 12-25-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
We also have the Ruffwear (Polar) boots and find they are inconsistent as far as whether they stay on or not... Can't figure out why one time they stay on and the next they don't...

P
Fit is everything! I took the dog into the store to try them on. The pair we bought, I thought were too small, but the owner insisted they were good. You have to really tighten them too. Don't wear themm too much, only when it's really cold or slushy (salt).

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 12-25-2012, 08:09 PM

went to the dollar store bought a few baby socks for 50cent and theyseem to work fine for our dog.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:49 PM

Yeah they are the correct size - medium (we have an Airedale)

Quote:
Fit is everything! I took the dog into the store to try them on. The pair we bought, I thought were too small, but the owner insisted they were good. You have to really tighten them too. Don't wear themm too much, only when it's really cold or slushy (salt).
Old 12-25-2012, 09:53 PM

We have tried about 10 different kinds for our Golden Retrievers over the years. And, nothing has worked. We have tightened them until I thought we would strangle their legs; still they lose them. We walk our dogs 2 hrs everyday in the bush. We check their feet often and get rid of ice between the toes and pads. Problem with that is they lick the area while you are doing this.

Whatever, except for yesterday at the 2-hr mark, we have never seen them limping at all.

Someone once told me there was a musher in WhiteHorse who made them and they worked really well, but I lost the name and address that same day in the bush. Duh!!

ticdoc
Old 12-25-2012, 11:05 PM

Smile Make sure that they fit

Once you are sure that you have the right size, use velcro or what ever straps come with the boots and then we use duct tape over top of the straps. Pink in our case, so that the tape doesn't stick to her fur she gets some pink vet wrap too. We lose one now and again but that is all part of the deal.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:19 AM

Densa has offered a great tip.

Two other tips that may help stop losing those tires.

Mark and use a boot for one foot only. Front left, front right.....
Over time the boots do start to shape to the foot.

Re-tighten the straps after a few minutes of running around.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:31 PM

I just got some Canine Equipment Ultimate Trail Boots for Jet. Even with him flying around at Mach 10 they still stayed on. I've tried Ruff Wear and Mutt Luks, both with no success to staying on. The big trick is to take you dog in to the store and get fitted for the right size and, as said before make sure they are strapped on tight.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouhuntress View Post
I just got some Canine Equipment Ultimate Trail Boots for Jet. Even with him flying around at Mach 10 they still stayed on. I've tried Ruff Wear and Mutt Luks, both with no success to staying on. The big trick is to take you dog in to the store and get fitted for the right size and, as said before make sure they are strapped on tight.
Is there a store in the Cochrane - Calgary area that sells ultimate trail boots
thanks artie
Old 12-26-2012, 03:50 PM

Default Mutt luks

I use these on my Black lab.
Make sure nails are trimmed or it is tough to get them on right. Tighten the Velcro down tight. Like anything new to a dog, patience in putting them on, and don't make them feel like its punishment. He runs alongside the quad while I plow snow, and if he blows a boot, he usually will pick it up and bring it to me. Once they get used to them, they don't mind staying out longer. Funny when they first get them on , the walk like Pluto from Disney.
puma
Old 12-26-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
Is there a store in the Cochrane - Calgary area that sells ultimate trail boots
thanks artie
Pet Planet in Cochrane stocks them...I'm not sure if other Pet Planet stores carry them.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:54 AM

The whole idea is rediculous!!!!! How do you expect an animal to adjust naturally to changing conditions if it is not by natural means. It has been that way for hundreds of years with both domestic and wild animals.
Nose warmers and ear muffs next ????. Think I will buy a pet store.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:13 AM

Smile They need the boots

These dogs are going places and doing jobs that a coyote or wolf would not go. That is why they need the boots. If you just trust to mother nature the dog would go into rose bushes ONCE, you would have to go the second time. With the boots on she'll go in every time I send her.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Where did you find a store with the knowledge for fitting?
Old 12-27-2012, 08:46 AM

Is it wise to get boots for a lab to go through the deer trails looking for sheds? This is Bellas second winter and I never gave it much though. She loves snow though... runs through the deep stuff and drops her head..opens mouth and eats it like a front end loader...but at high speed.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acedave3 View Post
The whole idea is rediculous!!!!! How do you expect an animal to adjust naturally to changing conditions if it is not by natural means. It has been that way for hundreds of years with both domestic and wild animals.
Then give up your car,cell phone,toilet paper, and ALL forms of technology..see it WAS that way for thousands of years,it is not natural for humans to have these items all of a sudden in the last century.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acedave3 View Post
I have watched dogs cross roads in Calgary when the city has put down the brine solution for icy roads. They make it to the other side and then they are picking up their paws and licking them. Also I see alot of people looking after their front walk as they are supposed to and putting down salt. That also is very hard on the dogs feet. I have found that once they get burned it takes along time for them to heal. I know my guy was getting lots of cracked sore paws until I started making sure we do not walk across major city roads. I also noticed during this cold spell that he would not walk on a bare sidewalk. He would walk in the snow beside the side walk. This probably is because the concrete is colder than the snow.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
She loves snow though... runs through the deep stuff and drops her head..opens mouth and eats it like a front end loader...
x2 My Brittany does that too!
Old 12-27-2012, 02:06 PM

X3

It's hard to describe how much My LM loves the snow. In the summer I did some training using icecubes as treats, now it's like the world is a candy dish to him. He is not happy till he is covered in snow, he is a nut in fresh snow.

He just crunches the buildup out as required.

But looking at other folks responses, I don't do alot of street walks. I typically go to the local off leash, where most of the way is back lane. O I am driving to the southland dog park where contact is minimal. Or use the treadmill in a pinch.

I could see the point for not wanting to get too much salt exposure.

I was thinking about them for the time I would hunt him in cactus country