Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-27-2012, 07:05 AM

Default Best Argo Tracks

I have a 2010 Avenger 750. I am serioulsy looking at buying tracks this winter and can not decide. I live in an area where I will use them in the winter and on hunting trips in the the fall, bush, swamps, muskeg etc. During the summer it is pretty dry around here. I would like a versatile set for year round use however if needed. Can you guys give me some advice on you are running and how do they climb in winter, float, weight, drag on machine etc. Climbing is my biggest concern, I have access to some great coulees, but they are deep and get filled with snow. I had an older conquest before the avenger with the poly tracks. I considered them useless at climbing. Please let me know the your opinions on what you are running, pros & cons.
Merry Christmas & Thanks
Old 12-27-2012, 09:29 AM

Default Tracks

RLG,

I run an '07 Argo Avenger and have just installed a set of the 18" rubber tracks from Argo. These are the key for winter operation. There is no amount of snow here yet that has been a challenge. With that being said I did order a set of track tuners from Adair Argo in the states which is a set of hubs for the two middle axles on each side which allow the center two axles to freespool and eliminate chain wind-up. This is due to the fact that the wheels are different diameters which fool the auto adjusters on the chains to think they are loose which can cause tightening issues on the adjusters. I have done quite a bit of research and these seem to be the fix for this problem. There is lots of info at www.6x6world.com and info on the track tuners at www.adairargo.com

Good luck with the purchase.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:51 AM

Default Tracks

I ran supertracks (plastic) on my 91 Conquest and there is no comparison to the climbing ability between the new style rubber and the old style plastic. The plastic tracks being useless for climbing is definetly an understatement.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:58 PM

Research escargo tracks. Expensive but look very effective.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:32 PM

We run a n avenger 750HDI with 18" rubber tracks, very effective in muskeg but a pain for everything else as it takes a lot of power to turn. If I could start over rigging another machine I would look at escargo tracks, no more expensive than anything else and way more manuverable.