Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-14-2019, 03:29 PM

Default Hunting dog First Aid kit

I've been thinking about improving and adding to my first aid kit to support my dog in the field.

I already carry gauze, vet wrap, and that's about it.

I'm considering purchasing a kit. This one looked complete. https://www.gundogsupply.com/ready-d...t-aid-kit.html

I'm thinking one larger it for the truck and a smaller one for my pack/game vest.

I'm thinking the field one should have lots of gauze and vet wrap, disinfectant, tape, side cutter, small scissors, eye wash, muzzle, tweezers, aspirin, benedryll, honey packets... What else and why?

The truck kit. Larger bottles of disenfectant, syringes, towels, gauze.

What issues have you run into in hunting with dogs in Alberta? I'm thinking about cuts from wire, punctures, abrasions, stuff getting in eyes, heat and cold issues, bee/wasp stings, porcupine encounters, fights with other dogs/animals.

Other than talking to my vet, what courses or training do you know of to support canine health/trauma care/minor injury care?

Should a waterfowling kit be different from an upland kit? In hunting in the southern US people carried Benadryl for snakebite first aid. In parts of Alberta we should think of that too. I'm going to add to this thread as I find info online.

I've never had a major issue in the field. Years ago my Dad borrowed our lab to a friend. She chased a pheasant into another field and came across poison that had been put out for coyote control. Despite vet care we lost her the next day. I've never borrowed any of my dogs to anyone and never will.

Thanks for your thoughts and experiences.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:34 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ruRHMi1_CQQ
Old 10-14-2019, 03:41 PM

Smile

I was hunting in BC with a friend and his lab a few weeks ago. Dog working hard in thick brush and a branch scratched her eyeball. Was oozing puss and sore when we got to the car. My buddy had a kit he bought which had eyewash. We rinsed it several times overnight and took her to vet next morning. Vet said the eyewash had done a great deal to help flush the wound and prevent infection. I am shopping for one myself.

I just checked the link you sent and that is the same kit my buddy has. Good Call,
Old 10-14-2019, 03:43 PM
Banned

I carry a small kit that I assembled myself. Small scissors, forceps, a scalpel with a few spare blades. An assortment of absorbent pads, gauze and 3M Durapore tape. A pair of nitrile gloves, a small bottle of povidone iodine, a small eyewash bottle with saline solution and a few honey packets complete the kit. I like to keep it compact and concise.

I do not intend to perform any serious procedures in the field. I can make a splint with what's available. In case of open wounds I'd sterilize the area, apply an absorbent pad, cover with gauze and do my best to stop the bleeding if it were profuse. Everything else would be taken care of at the vets.

So far the worst that I had to deal with is barbed wire cuts.

I intend to take some specialized training once my schedule allows for it.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:47 PM

Default Short basic videos

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lnHphddIMP0

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL913C49B6533E34CF

Last edited by Ithaca Dog; 10-14-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:09 PM

I was just looking online.
This is an online 90 minute basic first aid video course for $50.
https://www.catanddogfirstaid.com/course_details

There is also a ten hour course in Calgary at one of the clinics for $150.:
https://chasin-tails.ca/our-services/pet-first-aid/

There are a lot more that came up with google...
Old 10-14-2019, 04:12 PM

To the basic kit from gun dog supply I added EMT gel, small linesman pliers (pulling quills), a waterproof muck boot (cut foot pad- clean, cover with EMT gel , then dressing and then the boot over top) and a small bottle of stop quick.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:51 AM

Just buy any basic first aid kit and add a coagulant spray or EMT gel to stop bleeding. Do not use Quick Clot on dogs. Im told it can be fatal if the dog licks the powder or pads. Also add some eye wash but make sure it is never frozen in the field or left in the back of a vehicle where it will freeze. Eyewash is usually saline based. Once frozen it will form salt crystals that can actually cause more harm to eye. Most of the hunting season is cold so make sure you are not pouring a close to freezing liquid into your pets eye as this can also damage the eye. Warm the eyewash in coat for a few minutes first before applying. I know of one dog that is now blind in one eye because of this. The near freezing saline solution essentially froze the cornea as soon as it was applied and never properly healed.

Also get yourself a decent set of hemostats for the easy to remove porcupine quills.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 10-19-2019, 09:22 AM

If you use search function on forum. Tons of details in what you are looking for
Old 10-19-2019, 09:45 AM

Add cable wire cutters to your in the field kit, snares have caught my dog.