Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2011, 11:14 PM

I wouldn't use poison, sick animals tend to hide, than they will die in the wall or some place where is hard to get to and will stink.
IMO the best thing is the sticky trap - one sheet can catch 2-3 mouse- or a mechanical trap which kills them instantly.
I've heard about the peppermint soaked cotton balls, but never tried it.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingtail View Post
I have been told to leave bars of Irish spring soap around, I have and no mice yet.
Instead of leaving the bars whole take them and grate them with your cheese grator and leave it in bowls in the nooks and crannies where you think the mice may be getting in i have done this over the past two seasons and have had no mice in the trailer at all. I have also taken steel wool and filled in all the pipes and drains and air vents that come into the trailer that i could possibly get at.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:35 PM

If it is solid-brown mice, it is not too serious, just messy.

But if it is Deer-mice (greyer in color, with a white stomach usually) then you have a very serious problem: some deer-mice carry hanti-virus (spelling?), and that could cost you your life.

My old tabby cat, Marmelade, catches both types, but usually does not eat the deer-mouse;
on occassions that she does eat a deermouse, she soon pukes it all up. So there must be something in deer-mice that is bad for the health, whether or not they have hanti-virus disease.

Be careful the mice are not living in the insulated doors or walls; they can live there for a year or more without you knowing it. If you spend a few weeks sleeping in the trailer by yourself in complete quietness, usually you will hear deermice moving about, especially from 3-5 a.m. they move about, knaw on things, and sometimes thump their tail to communicate.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:37 PM

Pellet pistol and flatpoints provides great fun. Use the mice to entertain yourself!

Wear eye protection. I fired a pellet pistol at a little rat in my living room and it bounced back and hit me in the face!

I talked to Petra earlier and she suggested a different outcome.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:39 PM

Lady gaga 24/7 at any volume..........will scare most anything away.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:47 PM

Bretan go to UFA , they sell this Its blue stuff comes in bar , put a piece of that in the sink make sure there is no water source for them will kill them with in 24 hrs , it makes them esentially bleed to death , thins there blood . We had them flippin things in the house once and killed I think i was 8 mice in 24 hrs . Then after about a week or so set out traps with peanut butter and see if theres more if theres more refresh baits and kill some more .

I dont recall the name but its about 4.00 for a package of the stuff .
Old 06-04-2011, 06:36 AM
Banned

Moth balls
Old 06-04-2011, 07:47 AM

If your RV is stored where there is a 110 power source, you might try those little things that plug into a wall outlet and send out a low volume, high pitched squeal. I'm not certain that they work but I think they might. I've used them in our trailer along with some of the other suggestions on here and have been pretty successful in keeping the little b***ers out even though the shop where the trailer is stored has a pretty good resident mouse population.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:00 AM

Default mice

Another thing to remember..........they could be getting in through the hole in where you electirical cord comes out, I wrap mine with steel woolonce you get out the length you need close the door and wrap enough steel wool that it is snug........mice don't like to chew through it because it cuts their mouth.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird79 View Post
Another thing to remember..........they could be getting in through the hole in where you electirical cord comes out, I wrap mine with steel woolonce you get out the length you need close the door and wrap enough steel wool that it is snug........mice don't like to chew through it because it cuts their mouth.
I do the same thing too. Only other place I can't seem to get at is where the propane lines goes through the floor for the stove. Will dig around there and see what I can find.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:15 AM

I heard that bounce dryer sheets work as well.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:15 AM

Every RV I buy I spend weeks going over it to block entance ways for mice. Some RV's have holes in places you just can't get to. I would love to get a mouse infested RV and give it to each CEO of every RV manufacturer and Dealership owner to use for their own holidays. Then maybe they would be more careful during the manufacturing process. Rodent infestation is a persistent problem and RV manufacturers refuse to acknowledge it. How hard would it be to seal up the holes during manufacture? I have not found any product yet that keeps mice away including the electronic devices. The Irish Spring soap attracted them more than anything else I tried, they ate it and danced around in it.My solution finally was to build a sealed shop for RV storage.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCTHEMI View Post
I heard that bounce dryer sheets work as well.
I had a mouse problem in mine and have had excellent success with the bounce sheets.

That works if it is immaculately clean while storage. I dont think you can keep mice out if there is any food anywhere. Even tiny little crumbs will bring them in.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:04 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
Moth balls
Pretty hard to collect.
How do you hold them, by the wings or the legs?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-04-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingtail View Post
I have been told to leave bars of Irish spring soap around, I have and no mice yet.
I tried the Irish spring trick and found they had eaten a good chunk out of the bar!
Old 06-04-2011, 01:41 PM

My secret came from an old trapper years ago, and since has always worked when I saw any mice problems, ......Mennen After Shave in the green bottle, .....slop some around and leave an open bottle or two out for storage.
Can't say why it works, but had an old house at the farm that was lousy with mice, tried this and there were no visible mice for two yearss until I tore it down!! The old guy swore by it, but insisted it had to be Mennen and had to be the green bottle!! I've passed this on to lots with stored rec vehicles and they all had good results.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:43 PM

Let my dog in ur trailer shes a better mouser than a cat.......... lol
Old 06-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
My secret came from an old trapper years ago, and since has always worked when I saw any mice problems, ......Mennen After Shave in the green bottle, .....slop some around and leave an open bottle or two out for storage.
Can't say why it works, but had an old house at the farm that was lousy with mice, tried this and there were no visible mice for two yearss until I tore it down!! The old guy swore by it, but insisted it had to be Mennen and had to be the green bottle!! I've passed this on to lots with stored rec vehicles and they all had good results.
I can vouch for this. When I shave around my beard I use Mennen green sometimes and never had a mouse in my beard yet but I did have a cougar run her fingers through my hair once.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-04-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Bretan go to UFA , they sell this Its blue stuff comes in bar , put a piece of that in the sink make sure there is no water source for them will kill them with in 24 hrs , it makes them esentially bleed to death , thins there blood . We had them flippin things in the house once and killed I think i was 8 mice in 24 hrs . Then after about a week or so set out traps with peanut butter and see if theres more if theres more refresh baits and kill some more .

I dont recall the name but its about 4.00 for a package of the stuff .
I know the stuff you are talking about. Used to be called ''Boot Hill Bait Block" if I remember correctly. Not sure if that is still what it is called or not. They could be getting it from a different supplier.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:43 PM

Find a new storage yard....preferably one on gravel or concrete.....
Old 06-04-2011, 10:54 PM

"When I shave around my beard I use Mennen green sometimes and never had a mouse in my beard yet but I did have a cougar run her fingers through my hair once":

that was a good one, Redfrog; (did you need to use your flyswatter after the cougar left?)
Old 06-04-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I can vouch for this. When I shave around my beard I use Mennen green sometimes and never had a mouse in my beard yet but I did have a cougar run her fingers through my hair once.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
We can go 'round and 'round again. But in the end (as illustrated ^^^), my litterbox theory stands the test of time.

Gonna need a bigger box though if yer using Mennen!

Tags
mice, mouse, trailer