Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-23-2017, 04:09 PM

Default Road Hunting Regulations

Hey guys.
So I'm having an issue clarifying some questions around the regulations of shooting near a road.
I'm seeing tons of gophers in sections just off the highway or road.
I called fish and wildlife to clarify but still unsure.
You can't fire a projectile within 200 yards of a house. Includes a bullet and arrow.
You can't fire a projectile across or from a road.
But she was saying you have 20' from the road and you could?
I'm so confused.
I thought i could use my bow instead of 22 to knock some down close to the road. As long as I'm 200 yards from a house?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.
If some of you had experience with this or got in trouble.

Thank you
Old 06-23-2017, 04:56 PM

Maybe she means Fence line or inside it? I have heard that statement before. Not sure if its the law.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:57 PM

Your bullet cannot cross a road at any point. You can discharge your firearm 20 ft off the road if there is no ditch; the ditch would be an identifier for the end of the roadway.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:04 PM

From the regs:
discharge a weapon within 183 m (200 yards) or cause a projectile from a weapon to pass within 183 m (200 yards) of any occupied building. Owners, occupants, or persons authorized by the owner or occupant are excepted, subject to local bylaws.
discharge a firearm from or cause a projectile from a firearm to pass along or across:
a) a provincial highway (this designation applies to all former primary and secondary highways),
b) a road that is paved, oiled, graded or regularly maintained, unless
- the road is held under any active disposition under the Public Lands Act or under an order under the Surface Rights Act, or
- the person is hunting game birds with a shotgun under the authority of a licence.
Note: if there is no identifiable ditch or fence to mark the outside edge of the roadway, then the roadway extends 20 feet from the edge of the traveled portion.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:54 PM

Don't forget you need permission to shoot those tons of gophers that are likely on private land.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerrooy View Post
Hey guys.
So I'm having an issue clarifying some questions around the regulations of shooting near a road.
I'm seeing tons of gophers in sections just off the highway or road.
I called fish and wildlife to clarify but still unsure.
You can't fire a projectile within 200 yards of a house. Includes a bullet and arrow.
You can't fire a projectile across or from a road.
But she was saying you have 20' from the road and you could?
I'm so confused.
I thought i could use my bow instead of 22 to knock some down close to the road. As long as I'm 200 yards from a house?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.
If some of you had experience with this or got in trouble.

Thank you
Why not go and ask an f and w officer and then you won’t be SO CONFUSED and it could save you a court date just saying good luck
Old 06-23-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
Why not go and ask an f and w officer and then you won’t be SO CONFUSED and it could save you a court date just saying good luck
Because he wants good advice. Unless the officer that gives you the advice is the same one that actually checks you in the field, your odds are iffy.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 06-23-2017, 07:31 PM

20 feet ? We use metric system, not imperial . Why not in meters ( or dm, cm or mm)
Old 06-23-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
Because he wants good advice. Unless the officer that gives you the advice is the same one that actually checks you in the field, your odds are iffy.
really Ok what ever works for you
Old 06-23-2017, 07:37 PM

IF shooting from Black dodge dually, no regulations of any type!!!! LOL!

Seriously get some real answers from the F&W folks, they are the ones in charge
Old 06-23-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritterCommander View Post

No no, I think you mean white dually, as long as your truck nutz are installed
Old 06-23-2017, 09:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritterCommander View Post

And you must use a pool noodle for a gun rest off your mirror
Old 06-23-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLeahy View Post
And you must use a pool noodle for a gun rest off your mirror
Absolutely. A guy never misses when rocking the noodle.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:34 PM

Not sure what is so confusing about it, but like I said, as long as the projectile does not cross a road and you are 20 feet off the road (or behind the ditch), you are fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hunter View Post
20 feet ? We use metric system, not imperial . Why not in meters ( or dm, cm or mm)
Will 6 meters be satisfactory (or 60 dm, 600 cm or 6000 mm)?

P.S. Cat resigned less than a day ago
Old 06-23-2017, 09:59 PM

Section 51(2)(a) of the Wildlife act says If there is a fence parallel to the road then ditch and distance doesnt apply. It is blocked to the fence unless hunting game birds with a shotgun.

You can read the legal document here.

https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/st...Hunting__88142

Wildlife Act, RSA 2000, c W-10

Firearms on roads
51(1) A person shall not discharge a firearm from, or cause a projectile from a firearm to pass along or across,
(a) a highway designated as a provincial highway under the Highways Development and Protection Act, or
(b) any other road that is paved, oiled, graded or regularly maintained in a municipal district or prescribed area.
(2) In subsection (1), “highway” or “road” includes, as well as the travelled portion of it, a width of land on either side of the travelled portion, including the inner 2 sides of a divided highway, that extends,
(a) if there is a fence parallelling the travelled portion that separates the adjacent lands from the travelled portion, to the fence,
(b) if there is an identifiable ditch alongside the travelled portion and there is no fence separating the travelled portion from the adjacent lands, to the edge of the ditch that is further from the travelled portion, or
(c) if there is no such fence or ditch, to a distance of 20 feet from the edge of the travelled portion,
and also includes the whole of the remaining area between the 2 travelled portions of a divided highway at any location where the distance between the 2 nearest points on the innermost edges of the 2 travelled portions is less than 200 yards.
(3) Subsection (1)(b) does not apply to a person hunting game birds with a shotgun under the authority of a licence authorizing the hunting of game birds.
(4) Subsection (1) does not apply with respect to a road that is on privately owned land and that is maintained for the private use of the owner or occupant or a road held under any active disposition under the Public Lands Act or under an order under the Surface Rights Act.
(5) Subsection (1) does not apply to a person engaged in a wildlife depredation control program authorized in writing by the Minister.
RSA 2000 cW‑10 s51;2004 cH‑8.5 s77
Old 06-23-2017, 10:08 PM

Thanks for the reply guys.
I tried calling F & W all day. No officers around or had my phone calls answered. So receptionist answered it.

So basically as long as I'm on the other side of the fence off of the highway I should be good?
20' past and across the ditch basically.

Just seems weird and kind of confusing.
See someone off the highway using a gun or bow on gophers lol
Old 06-26-2017, 08:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
I tried calling F & W all day. No officers around or had my phone calls answered. So receptionist answered it.
NEVER take the secretarys word for anything from F&W. Over the years I've had several very wrong answers from them, particularly the one in Calgary. Not sure if she is still employed there or not (if she is she shouldn't be!).

Like every regulation question, the answer is laid out in black and white in both the regulations and / or the Wildlife Act itself. You just have to read it
Old 06-28-2017, 03:24 PM

Well the solution is very simple.. don't hunt from a vehicle! get out and hunt like a real hunter!
ask cow farmers if they are having a problem with gopher holes. back in Ontario many farmers are glad to invite varmint hunters onto their property, if a cow steps into a gopher hole and breaks a leg that cow will most likely have to be shot. so do the farmers a favour, kill the gophers and fill in the holes.

and if you take the time to get out of the vehicle and do some hunting you'll learn about tracking, stalking and all of the good things that hunting is all about.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearstalker234 View Post
Well the solution is very simple.. don't hunt from a vehicle! get out and hunt like a real hunter!
ask cow farmers if they are having a problem with gopher holes. back in Ontario many farmers are glad to invite varmint hunters onto their property, if a cow steps into a gopher hole and breaks a leg that cow will most likely have to be shot. so do the farmers a favour, kill the gophers and fill in the holes.

and if you take the time to get out of the vehicle and do some hunting you'll learn about tracking, stalking and all of the good things that hunting is all about.
Could one of you 'real hunters' post a how to on 'tracking,stalking and all the good things that hunting is about' for gophers?? For example, do you real hunters use an internal or external frame pack. Do you use the whole gopher or just the cape? Is it ethical to hunt for trophy gophers or only if you're going to use the whole animal??? Lol

To the OP, I see you already called F&W and someone posted the regs above for you. I understand your question to be if you see a gopher patch from your truck (scouting for hunting areas from a truck is still ethical, isn't it?) how far from the road do you need to be to be legal.

Don't cause a projectile to pass within 200 yds of an occupied dwelling and make sure you are out of your vehicle, completely off the road and ditch, and don't cause your projectile to pass along or across any road and you are good generally. There are some areas with wildlife corridors along roads but I'm not aware of any in gopher zones.

Now, you may get heckled by the 'real hunters' if you don't do a 10 km run or 20 km hike first, but there are some people who can't be satisfied . Seriously though, even in an area with permission some of the neighbours or passerby's may not like it. It is what it is, but keep it in mind.

Happy hunting!
Old 07-02-2017, 07:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700-223 View Post
Could one of you 'real hunters' post a how to on 'tracking,stalking and all the good things that hunting is about' for gophers?? For example, do you real hunters use an internal or external frame pack. Do you use the whole gopher or just the cape? Is it ethical to hunt for trophy gophers or only if you're going to use the whole animal??? Lol

To the OP, I see you already called F&W and someone posted the regs above for you. I understand your question to be if you see a gopher patch from your truck (scouting for hunting areas from a truck is still ethical, isn't it?) how far from the road do you need to be to be legal.

Don't cause a projectile to pass within 200 yds of an occupied dwelling and make sure you are out of your vehicle, completely off the road and ditch, and don't cause your projectile to pass along or across any road and you are good generally. There are some areas with wildlife corridors along roads but I'm not aware of any in gopher zones.

Now, you may get heckled by the 'real hunters' if you don't do a 10 km run or 20 km hike first, but there are some people who can't be satisfied . Seriously though, even in an area with permission some of the neighbours or passerby's may not like it. It is what it is, but keep it in mind.

Happy hunting!

An adult on AO. Holy lol

Well said dude
Old 07-02-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:

Haven't been in many good gopher patches have you?
Fill in the holes? I'd spend more time shovelling than shooting.
How many gophers have you tracked and stalked? Wow!

Op...
When you see these fields, politely go talk to the farmer. See if he/she will allow you to go and get the little vermin. Easy peasey.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father of five View Post
From the regs:
discharge a weapon within 183 m (200 yards) or cause a projectile from a weapon to pass within 183 m (200 yards) of any occupied building. Owners, occupants, or persons authorized by the owner or occupant are excepted, subject to local bylaws.
discharge a firearm from or cause a projectile from a firearm to pass along or across:
a) a provincial highway (this designation applies to all former primary and secondary highways),
b) a road that is paved, oiled, graded or regularly maintained, unless
- the road is held under any active disposition under the Public Lands Act or under an order under the Surface Rights Act, or
- the person is hunting game birds with a shotgun under the authority of a licence.
Note: if there is no identifiable ditch or fence to mark the outside edge of the roadway, then the roadway extends 20 feet from the edge of the traveled portion.
Someone once told me to check the definition of a Highway or Roadway under both the Wildlife Act and the Highways Act. He said they differed and you could be charged with a Wildlife offence under either one.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:

The gophers go down their holes when you get out of your vehicle !
Old 07-04-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
The gophers go down their holes when you get out of your vehicle !
.... you obviously missed the point of what I was saying...

leave your car parked someplace and go on foot
Old 07-04-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Haven't been in many good gopher patches have you?
Fill in the holes? I'd spend more time shovelling than shooting.
How many gophers have you tracked and stalked? Wow!

Op...
When you see these fields, politely go talk to the farmer. See if he/she will allow you to go and get the little vermin. Easy peasey.

I think you took me a little too literal. im trying to encourage people to stop hunting from a vehicle all together, for all game. you would obviously go mad trying to stalk a gopher, but if you take the time to look for tracks and youll teach yourself to look for different signs and this will be helpful for hunting deer, bear, and other large game.
thanks for being a troll
Old 07-04-2017, 11:49 AM
Banned

Quote:

So basically as long as I'm on the other side of the fence off of the highway I should be good?
20' past and across the ditch basically.

Just seems weird and kind of confusing.
See someone off the highway using a gun or bow on gophers lol
WHO OWNS THE PROPERTY ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE GOD-DAMN FENCE ?

You still haven't clarified if you've obtained permission, because SOMEBODY owns that fence...

Old 07-04-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
WHO OWNS THE PROPERTY ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE GOD-DAMN FENCE ?

You still haven't clarified if you've obtained permission, because SOMEBODY owns that fence...

And some idiots just pull over and shoot at ground squirrels or crows on private land without permission, arguing that since they aren't actually walking or driving onto the land, they don't need permission.

I have heard some really special people claim that they can shoot at game birds over private property with a shotgun, and then send their dog to retrieve the bird without requiring permission.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:13 PM

spot-lighting these gophers while under the influence will also be considered a breech of hunting etiquette.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
if a cow steps into a gopher hole and breaks a leg that cow will most likely have to be shot. so do the farmers a favour, kill the gophers and fill in the holes.
I have heard the same for over 50 years. I am not saying it could not happen but I will say that of all the gopher hating farmers I have spoken to have never mentioned broken legs as being a significant reality with gopher infestation.

Gophers are shot and if they need to be hunted, its not worth shooting them.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:49 PM

Default ground hog holes might break a cows leg

Never seen a gopher hole big enough to have a cow step into it but have seen a few badger holes where they were going after gophers big enough. Even my dogs dont step into gopher holes and they are much smaller paws than a cow or horses hooves. Me thinks he is reciting eastern farmers inviting people to shoot ground hogs in their pastures.