Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-22-2017, 12:14 AM

Default A long time coming!

I burned 9 years of bull elk priority tonight! Unless the priority needed changes significantly from last year I'll get a tag. I've never hunted elk but a good friend has offered to show me the ropes. I've been building priority waiting for the right time and I think this is the year.

I'm excited already and am hoping I can add a couple pics to this thread in November.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:24 AM
Banned

Cool ... Good Luck !!!
Old 06-22-2017, 07:21 AM

Best wishes

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2017, 09:56 AM

I used a P12 to chase ant elk around the base in 2015 as I wanted to try/use up that draw being a mostly Deer and Moose hunter my whole hunting life.

Got my first elk tag closed on that draw. Not a monster but my first ever elk and it was a unique set of antlers. And soon after getting drawn, I started to meet some top notch AO guys who helped me along the way, then some awesome land owners/ranch guys down south. A great experience.

Hope you get the same. Good luck.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:23 AM

Thanks guys!

Sooner that's kind of my story. Hunted moose and deer all my life but never elk. Hopefully it's the start of an elk hunting career.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
Thanks guys!

Sooner that's kind of my story. Hunted moose and deer all my life but never elk. Hopefully it's the start of an elk hunting career.
My son was 17 and joined me(pulled him from school) on the 2 times we went down. We belly crawled, spotting scoped lots, walked around endless hills to get "ahead" of the herd. Watched a herd of over a 100 for a long while hiding behind only grass. It was such a fun time to hunt in a beauty part of the province.

Just had BBQ elk burgers the other night too.

We have the elk bug now and sonny boy is P7 after this years 999 so we will have to find a place to pull his draw soon. Again, good luck.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:24 PM

It is so exciting to hear about your story. Let me accumulate some experience to start my hunting.
Mess around with the settings and repeat the test a couple of times. After you understand the ranges at which your camera takes the most pictures, you’ll be able to hang it more effectively in the field and fewer deer will ghost by your setup.
https://hunthacks.com/best-trail-camera-reviews/