Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you drink while you hunt?
Yes, I have a few drinks at lunch or throughout the day 43 10.78%
Yes, I drink while I am hunting 18 4.51%
No, I never drink while hunting and wait until the day is over 240 60.15%
No, I dont drink anyways 52 13.03%
I think consuming any alcohol while handling firearms is wrong 113 28.32%
I think drinking while hunting is okay as long as its monitored 11 2.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 399. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_7777 View Post
Read the whole thread and this post made rediculous amounts of sense. I would agree those are the only 2 reasons to drink. I am a non drinker but used to hunt with people who liked to have beers at lunch, and drink heavily after back at the cabin. I never really felt unsafe but like TheClash i always failed to see the point of lunch beers.
Funny I know lots of people who fail to see the point of hunting no matter how hard I try and explain it.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take Em! View Post
That doesn't change the point. Think about it logically.. if 37% of people are always drinking.. and 65% of people admit to drinking sometimes.. than lets just say that at least 40% of people on boats are drinking (the 65% of sometimes raise the overall point percentage from 37% to 40% for arguement sake). Now you say 40% of fatalities are due to alchohol... well of course! 40% of people are drinking... that means that 60% of fatalities are caused by the 60% of people who are not drinking. There is no significance to these numbers at all.... you are just as likely to cause a fatality not drinking as drinking with these statistics.
The reason for posting wasn't actually that part. It was the part of possibly being illegal and subject to fines depending on where you are. That just happened to be pasted with it.
I still don't want to trust myself drunk trying to save my life. With the inducing of alcohol comes poorer choices. I believe that is a pretty good assumption.

Way off topic by the way.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
The reason for posting wasn't actually that part. It was the part of possibly being illegal and subject to fines depending on where you are. That just happened to be pasted with it.
I still don't want to trust myself drunk trying to save my life. With the inducing of alcohol comes poorer choices. I believe that is a pretty good assumption.

Way off topic by the way.
Agreed.. just thought it was funny that they didn't realize that the posted a statistic that basically refutes their arguement. And yes definately illegal and definately seen fines enforced out in the Shu. But seriously... what is fishing without a cold one?
And sorry.. wasn't trying to hijack the thread... won't happen again.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:48 PM

Oh for krisesake, I know i said I was done with this stupid argument....but....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullpike View Post
I've been checked numerous times by f&w while in camp at lunch when having a beer and not one time was I hassled.Why u ask because I was obviously not impaired. Or could it possibly be the fact that you were in CAMP and not out walking around with a gun??? To get hassled about having a beer I have to come to this thread and deal with judgemental, holier than thou goofs like you constable dave. If this forum has taught me anything it's that when someone resorts to name calling it's a sure sign that they losing the argument. Guess for me to get caught all f'd up I got to wait to be caught by cowtown. Too bad I don't drink and drive. You'll have to catch me outside of a pub at lunch having a smoke so you can charge me after my 2 beer for being impaired in public! Can't believe guys like this have any authority at all. Thank god for lawyers! You kind of lost me here, you must have typed this right after lunch If you guys don't have the brain capacity to have two beer and then handle a firearm WTF are you doing with one to begin with? If you don't have the brain capacity to understand that even 1 or 2 beer can cause impairment then it's you who shouldn't be handling firearms. 1 beer doesn't cause any impairment you say? Then please explain to me why pilots are forbidden from having even 1 drink within 24 hours prior to flying an airplane. And before you jump down my throat, no, I'm not suggesting the same rules should apply to hunting, I'm just saying that alcohol, in any amount, does cause impairment, it's just a fact.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:03 PM

Dear Delburne Dave, Since our last conversation on here, I have found the lord. He has shown me the error in my ways and I have taken up a twelve step program for both my drug(Vitamin C and Multivitamin) and alcohol addiction. Thank you for both your enlightening words of wisdom and your support. I'll pray for you. Sincerely Bull

P.S. Now can we be friends

Last edited by bullpike; 03-11-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:27 PM

I wait until the day of hunting is done, then pound back a few cold ones!!!
Old 03-11-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunned View Post

Don`t you hate it when a spry and sober "hunting" partner comes back to camp in the middle of the afternoon with his trophy, a small effort to get me off the cot in front of the airtight... some people!
Sorry bout that! Me and my trohpy doe
You dont seem to mind when its eggs and backstrap for breakfast the next morning though!
Old 03-11-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Dear Delburne Dave, Since our last conversation on here, I have found the lord. He has shown me the error in my ways and I have taken up a twelve step program for both my drug(Vitamin C and Multivitamin) and alcohol addiction. Thank you for both your enlightening words of wisdom and your support. I'll pray for you. Sincerely Bull

P.S. Now can be friends
Wow, you made it through a whole post without calling me an idiot. I guess we are friends now.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Gone Hunting

so much for no "brawl"...BTW....all you guys that drink at lunch....could you post the WMU's you hunt in please?????
Old 03-11-2009, 03:59 PM

Dear Delburne Dave, sorry it took so long to back back to you as I have been in detox(having a hard time kicking the vitamin c), just wanted to let you know that you are not an idiot and definately never wrong. I wish nothing but the best for you. Sincerely your friend, Bullpike.

P.S. I'm drunk right now. I just finished lunch
Old 03-11-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:

P.S. I'm drunk right now. I just finished lunch
Yah, I could tell. Real good stuff there bullpike, real good stuff. I can just imagine how witty you'd be when you're actually sober.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:12 PM
Gone Hunting

see he didn't post what WMU..he hunts in, maybe should explain what that means?????....seriously, would prefer to hunt in area where I feel reasonably certain, the others haven't had 1 or 2 or 3 at lunch....realistaclly if u have 1 at lunch why????...have a soda.....if you 2 or more stay away from me.....just my thoughts......nothing wrong with having a cold one in camp....guns are put away and getting supper done.....when u get as old as me if u have more than that.....u ain't going hunting in the morning
Old 03-11-2009, 04:19 PM

My wmu is Alberta, you should find a new one. And as long as others in Alberta that voted the way I did aren't in your zone. Seriously because I enjoy a beer, probably as much as you enjoy a can of ensure Hal at your age. This thread must almost be dead now.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
This thread must almost be dead now.
Naw, I think you just threw another log on the fire with the "ensure" crack.

But how about a SLIGHT change of tack... I get that a beer or two at lunch is not going to be illegal or get you drunk. I would not fear for my life if I was hunting near someone that had had a couple beer an hour ago.... But I WAS wondering to what degree a couple beers might actually influence your shooting. I mean, hitting that saucer sized target at 350 or more yards isn't always the easiest thing in the world to do normally. Would you have a couple beers before a shooting competition and expect to do as well as if you had had no alcohol? I'm not making an argument here, I'm just wondering what you believe is true for YOU.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post

But how about a SLIGHT change of tack... I get that a beer or two at lunch is not going to be illegal or get you drunk. I would not fear for my life if I was hunting near someone that had had a couple beer an hour ago.... But I WAS wondering to what degree a couple beers might actually influence your shooting. I mean, hitting that saucer sized target at 350 or more yards isn't always the easiest thing in the world to do normally. Would you have a couple beers before a shooting competition and expect to do as well as if you had had no alcohol? I'm not making an argument here, I'm just wondering what you believe is true for YOU.
I know I'm a lot better golfer after a couple of brews, why wouldn't the same apply for shooting?
Old 03-11-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdfish View Post
I know I'm a lot better golfer after a couple of brews, why wouldn't the same apply for shooting?
I KNOW I am too! The darn scorecard just doesn't back me up!
Old 03-11-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I KNOW I am too! The darn scorecard just doesn't back me up!
Funny enough, my best round ever, I was hung to the nines when I teed off and hammered again by the 7th hole...smooth 67.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:

Good question Okotokian! I don't know the answer to that question because I haven't tried it. I would like to try under controlled conditions all the way up to a dozen beer. Purely for informational purposes. It would be an interesting experiment. But seriously, its obvious that alcohol and guns don't mix, the point is that there is nothing wrong with "moderation" (again, a couple with lunch, not all day)and nobody will convince me otherwise. I don't get blasted and go hunting although a few vodkas at the end of the day never killed anybody. I have never had enough to drink with lunch and nor can I imagine how much alcohol it would take for someone to forget what a firearm can do.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Good question Okotokian! I don't know the answer to that question because I haven't tried it. I would like to try under controlled conditions all the way up to a dozen beer. Purely for informational purposes. It would be an interesting experiment. But seriously, its obvious that alcohol and guns don't mix, the point is that there is nothing wrong with "moderation" (again, a couple with lunch, not all day)and nobody will convince me otherwise. I don't get blasted and go hunting although a few vodkas at the end of the day never killed anybody. I have never had enough to drink with lunch and nor can I imagine how much alcohol it would take for someone to forget what a firearm can do.
i can understand that....but in an inherently already dangerous situation why would you purposely add another element of danger? is it worth the added risk to enjoy those beers? i am not saying it is or it isn't..i am curious to your thoughts on it. i am sure i could drive fine with one eye closed all the time...but why would i? why would i purposely put myself in a more dangerous situation than i am already in while driving?....want to make it clear i am not judging....i have never drank so i am clueless (may be obvious to some haha) when it comes to alcohol and it's effects...
Old 03-11-2009, 05:17 PM

Thumbs up your are not legally drunk untill your B.A.L is.008

what i do in my tree stand is my bussnes last i read a human body can process about 1 beer per hour and as long as my blood alcohol level is below .008 i will do what ever i want while in my stand or on the lake thats my veiw on that for all you Saints Out There

Last edited by stinkynuts; 03-11-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Suspended User

All I can do is laugh at the reasoning here. Do any of the people who are basically saying that alcohol consumption WHILE in the act of hunting is okay, realize the image you are showing the youth who read this forum? Sure you may not be "drunk" but your judgment isn't the same. If you deny that then so be it. As for my experience in the bush, I grew up having the life most of the members dream of, elk out my living room window, fishing when I wanted, and literally living on the edge of crown land. I can hit a hardhat dead on at 250 yards and never will take a risky shot. I also am smart enough to know that guns and alcohol should not be mixed and personally feel people arguing that it is okay are arguing to show that they are simply stupid. Have a nice day.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
To me guns and beer go together like spaghetti and meatballs.
Quote:
But seriously, its obvious that alcohol and guns don't mix,
Anyone else getting confused?
Old 03-11-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take Em! View Post
Funny I know lots of people who fail to see the point of hunting no matter how hard I try and explain it.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
All I can do is laugh at the reasoning here. Do any of the people who are basically saying that alcohol consumption WHILE in the act of hunting is okay, realize the image you are showing the youth who read this forum? Sure you may not be "drunk" but your judgment isn't the same. If you deny that then so be it. As for my experience in the bush, I grew up having the life most of the members dream of, elk out my living room window, fishing when I wanted, and literally living on the edge of crown land. I can hit a hardhat dead on at 250 yards and never will take a risky shot. I also am smart enough to know that guns and alcohol should not be mixed and personally feel people arguing that it is okay are arguing to show that they are simply stupid. Have a nice day.
to quote above....this sound reasoning "should" end the post...apparently he hunts all WMU's after a few.....wow!!!!
Old 03-11-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
so much for no "brawl"...BTW....all you guys that drink at lunch....could you post the WMU's you hunt in please?????
Hal every road you drive on and wmu you hunt has people consuming booze, you've never seen an empty in the bush or the side or on the road of the road? ...what are you going to do stay home?

Guns are great for guarding the still, damn dog is always too busy running deer.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
to quote above....this sound reasoning "should" end the post...apparently he hunts all WMU's after a few.....wow!!!!
oops!!...not you Dave....a couple posts above...sorry
Old 03-11-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delburnedave View Post
Anyone else getting confused?
In moderation. Dave any further conversations you wish to have with me do it through pm. Cause I have had bout enough of you!

Last edited by bullpike; 03-11-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:30 PM

Default Free drinks?

Quote:
You looking to stop by some camps for a drink? You're always welcome at ours.

I don't think you need to worry much about the guys involved with this forum, there are thousands more out there that don't get involved in discussions like this because they're too busy drinkin... and hunting, not playing on their computers.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:44 PM

Default Good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunned View Post
`huntin isn't what it use to be for me, in fact I rarely mix "hunting" with guns these days, that would interfere with the beer naps in the middle of the day

Don`t you hate it when a spry and sober "hunting" partner comes back to camp in the middle of the afternoon with his trophy, a small effort to get me off the cot in front of the airtight... some people!

As far as alcohol and guns, no, not a good mix either.

Agreed. Hunting camp is no place for guns, they don't mix well with beer.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:47 PM

Thumbs up I call b.s

AGAIN I AM TIRED OF ALL THE SO CALLED SAINTS ON HERE THAT WOULD LEAD US ALL TO BELIVE THEY HAVE NOT BRONKEN THE LAW EVER IN THERE WHOLE LIVES I CALL BSSSSSSS IF NO ONE EVER BREAKS THE LAW WHY ARE THE GAME WARDENS SO BUSY I SHURE DONT READ MUCH ABOUT IMPARED WHILE HUNT AS I DO POACHING HUNTING FROM THE ROAD ETC