Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-03-2024, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJalberta View Post
Pros: easy to use, doesn’t miss, great battery life, doesn’t affect POI, small and light.

Cons: price.

Just based off my use.
I agree
Old 05-03-2024, 10:41 PM

Unit - no cons really. Price is subjective when compared to other units.

My real con with it is the app. Caldwell has a much better app, and better app interface. It would be easier to set up sessions, start and end them, ser bullet weights, etc, using a device in your hand rather than the couple buttons on the app.
Old 05-03-2024, 10:59 PM

I really keen on seeing the new LabRadar LX, and even the new Caldwell Veloci-radar (similar size of the original LabRadar)...

And neither company is new to the chronograph industry. Not that Garmin didn't hit a homerun with the Xero C1.

* at least LabRadar is a Canadian company...

Last edited by FishOutOfWater; 05-03-2024 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-04-2024, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
I really keen on seeing the new LabRadar LX, and even the new Caldwell Veloci-radar (similar size of the original LabRadar)...

And neither company is new to the chronograph industry. Not that Garmin didn't hit a homerun with the Xero C1.

* at least LabRadar is a Canadian company...

I had a Labradar, I sold it. It would not stay working right and, they finally replaced it outright, but not without a lot of arguing. Their customer service is atrocious. Spypoint is Canadian, their customer service is atrocious. I don't have any of their game cameras anymore either. Supporting Canadian companies hasn't really paid off for me as a consumer.

I sent an 8 year old GPS back to Garmin to see if they could fix it and what it would cost. They sent me a brand new unit, no charge, even though the one I sent in was WAY past warranty. Guess whose Chrono I plan to buy.

I have heard nothing but good things from guys using the new Garmin Chronograph and cost wise they are about the same as what the Labradars cost prior to their big dive in price.
Old 05-04-2024, 08:08 AM

I bought a Garmin Xero C1 this spring, finally replaced my 35 year old chrony, I have not used it a whole bunch yet but I'm impressed with it so far. As for the price well when compared to comparable units it's in the ball park.

I know guys that have Magnetospeeds, Lab Radars, and Caldwells and have used them all when we're at the range, the Garmin is light years ahead of them when it comes to set up and ease of use IMHO.

I'm about to start some load testing for my 7mm PRC so it will get a workout and I guess I'll if there are any cons.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 05-04-2024, 01:13 PM

Default Garmin Xero C1

Reading all the information here & older posts & viewing videos its quite impressive & all positive . I'll excuse my lack of knowledge now . I think I'm thinking right as one session But .? MY question to those that have them , if using 7 different OAL/CBTO's - 3 ea total of 21 Rds. !80 Gr. Accubonds w/same powder charge IMR 4350 . Would this be considered one session or would you have to reset to new session for ea one . Also 18 RD's with the same CBTO with different powder charge & powder H4831 Sc with 180 Gr. Accubond .
Old 05-04-2024, 04:28 PM

Garmin all the way. I did stay at Holiday inn !
Old 05-04-2024, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetail200 View Post
Reading all the information here & older posts & viewing videos its quite impressive & all positive . I'll excuse my lack of knowledge now . I think I'm thinking right as one session But .? MY question to those that have them , if using 7 different OAL/CBTO's - 3 ea total of 21 Rds. !80 Gr. Accubonds w/same powder charge IMR 4350 . Would this be considered one session or would you have to reset to new session for ea one . Also 18 RD's with the same CBTO with different powder charge & powder H4831 Sc with 180 Gr. Accubond .
I was lucky and saw them come up before all the hype, so I was already read up on them when they finally came live in Nov. They had a few test units out there that had some u tube coverage.
I was shopping for the last 2 years for one, but could not pull the trigger on the old Lab Radar, just read too many stories about them to not want that hassle. So when these came up, it was a no brainer, and I got in on the first wave of them into Canada.

The only trouble, if you can even call it that, it has ever given me is some dropped shots, but only when I mag dump. Ha ha, new to the chrony, so I had to learn.

For your session question: I start a new session for each variable. That way I can analyze them separately. It is a quick 2 button push, to close off the old session, and if nothing changes 6, or less: as I forget now, more presses to get going again. You have to scroll through the bullet weight each time, but it is really a non issue. Once you sync to your phone, you can edit the shots and add all the info you want, so you can keep track of things easier. Can export from your phone as well if you want. It can only store so many sessions as well, before it starts to override them. I want to say 20, but could be wrong. It takes seconds to sync to phone, then it doesn't matter, you can overwrite them.

Once at the range, and its on the bench, there is no need to readjust for every rifle, it just sits there and does its thing. It will also work direct plugged to accessory battery, yes I tried it.
I have not found anything neg about it at all, and enjoy using it.
Old 05-06-2024, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post

* at least LabRadar is a Quebec company...

Fixed it for you. Wouldn't exactly call them Canadian.
Old 05-06-2024, 10:01 AM

Default Garmin

I have used a lab Radar unit for about 7 years ! It was Ok but missed a lot of shots over the years . Worked better with a RAT but that’s a pita to hook up each time .

So got a Garmin Zero a few months back and well
Best thing since sliced bread !

Highly recommend it ! RJ
Old 05-06-2024, 10:01 AM

Been waiting for the Garmin to come on sale but at the rate they are flying off the shelves that may be a while yet. Will be patient a little while longer.
Old 05-06-2024, 12:40 PM

They were on sale for a good price at the Edmonton sportsman show this spring.