Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-12-2019, 11:12 PM
Banned

Default Need Advice for Bow Mount Trolling Motor

I'm posting for Whitetail200 who will comment on the thread. He needs advice/ideas on how to mount a trolling motor on the bow of his boat.
It looks like he needs to extend that mount out farther but he can clarify. Here are pictures.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:00 AM

Whats with that elevated pad? Can you ditch that and go direct to bow surface?

Backer plates underneath if its too weak alone.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2019, 05:11 AM

I would measure the height of the existing plate. Then position the quick release base plate where you want it to sit. Measure what you would need for a length of aluminum ( L X W X H ) and of to Metal Mart and have them cut a pc.

Drill some holes through the aluminum and the bow that line up with his quick release plate and bolt it all down securely ( lock washers etc ). looks like you may need a couple of washers under the aluminum as spacers to accommodate the curvature of the bow.

Or just make some spacers to go under the quick release to the bow to accommodate the height and drill and bolt it all down?

Dodger.

Last edited by dodger; 06-13-2019 at 05:17 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:10 AM

Also you would best served having the motor deploy off the starboard side of the bow not the port side as you have it mocked up.

That way when the motor is laying down stowed it wont impede the captains vision.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2019, 09:37 AM

Default Help with mounting Bow mount Electric

Thank you Dave for posting the pictures & everyone for their input. As you can see from pictures its clearance from gunwale I need for motor shaft . It came from the factory with raised mounting platform & served well with my old motor & (clearances from gunwale) but the terrova needs 1 1/2 " minimum . I can get close to 3/4 of a inch which seems to work with motor deployed & turning shaft in circles. More if I slide the motor base forward on quick release plate & have the required min 4 bolts holding . This scenario causes the release lever to touch down on power wires slightly lying against metal quick release base marking wire jacket. Could cover with wire cover protection if I choose this but not a good scenario. I looked at removal of platform , there's a support bracket underneath near the front of platform towards keel & hopefully its not riveted to it . If not, then remove 6 rivets holding base then continue mounting on bow as suggested . Dodger suggested a piece of aluminum plate measured to size which I will get , if issue with removal of platform due to riveted to aluminum support then I will just mount plate to platform then mount quick release to the plate as dodger mentioned before. This would probably be a quicker solution & less work & won't cause any issues with motor height . Add washers /spacers where needed . Also switch plate facing starboard side so when motor stowed the head will be on port side away from driver for visibility .
Old 06-18-2019, 12:42 PM

Just checking the outcome on this?

Dodger.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:33 PM

Default Mounting Minn Kota Terrova

Thank You to all for their advice & suggestions . I bought a piece of aluminum plate 3/8 " thick x 8 1/2" W x 24 " L . Also a piece a 1/4 " thick & same W X L but opted for the thicker one . I used the bottom base of the quick release bracket as a template for marking the holes on the piece of aluminum plate . Drilled all holes as needed. Measured the length I needed & trimmed to fit & mounted this to the existing motor mounting platform with the quick release bracket attached to it . Thinking outside the box I needed some support for the bit of overhang at front near gunwale . I knew just what I needed. First 4 holes in front of bottom base, I used the last three holes near front of quick release base to form a triangle with (motor blower adjusting legs ) bolted through bottom . They have thick rubber ends on the end , used 1 3/4 " bolts for this . Tighten bolts in place & just adjust the rubber feet/ends as required if needed to touch the bow. Two of these are at the front of the existing mounting platform through bottom of base & the other is at the front left side . This gives extra support for the bit of overhang . All bolted in & solid . All this in turn gave me 1 3/4 " clearance for motor shaft while deployed from gunwale . Now wire my power plug end on ,attach the propeller, mirror in my hand held control & the heading sensor with motor. Then complete final step with sensor at the lake if this rain ever stops .
Old 06-19-2019, 05:39 PM

Default Mounting Minn Kota Terrova

Thank You to all for their advice & suggestions . I bought a piece of aluminum plate 3/8 " thick x 8 1/2" W x 24 " L . Also a piece a 1/4 " thick & same W X L but opted for the thicker one . I used the bottom base of the quick release bracket as a template for marking the holes on the piece of aluminum plate . Drilled all holes as needed. Measured the length I needed & trimmed to fit & mounted this to the existing motor mounting platform with the quick release bracket attached to it . Thinking outside the box I needed some support for the bit of overhang at front near gunwale . I knew just what I needed. First 4 holes in front of bottom base, I used the last three holes near front of quick release base to form a triangle with (motor blower adjusting legs ) bolted through bottom . They have thick rubber ends on the end , used 1 3/4 " bolts for this . Tighten bolts in place & just adjust the rubber feet/ends as required if needed to touch the bow. Two of these are at the front of the existing mounting platform through bottom of base & the other is at the front left side . This gives extra support for the bit of overhang . All bolted in & solid . All this in turn gave me 1 3/4 " clearance for motor shaft while deployed from gunwale . Now wire my power plug end on ,attach the propeller, mirror in my hand held control & the heading sensor with motor. Then complete final step with sensor at the lake if this rain ever stops .
Old 06-19-2019, 05:41 PM

Default Terrova mounting

OOPS , doubled up .
Old 06-19-2019, 07:19 PM

Now it’s time to do some fishing I’m sure you are going to be happy with the new unit.

Dodger