Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 06-19-2019, 06:27 PM
chuck's Avatar
chuck chuck is online now
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
As a matter of fact, I have 4 lbs here. Do you need some ?
Sure donít.
__________________
"All rifle mechanisms are not the same when it comes to reliability in the field."
-Bob F.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-19-2019, 06:43 PM
Salavee Salavee is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Parkland County, AB
Posts: 3,455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Sure donít.

Boy oh Boy.. seems Like I'm the odd man out here. Hasn't anyone tried the newer powders with thier fav old Cartridges?. Seems not to be the case.

May I suggest that you at least give them a try before you roast me. Like.. c'mon. You cant all be like Chuck.
__________________
When applied by competent people with the right intent, common sense goes a long way.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-19-2019, 06:43 PM
Salavee Salavee is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Parkland County, AB
Posts: 3,455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter12 View Post
I am not sure if I can get those velocities out of 270 WSM .
And we are talking 270 WIN here.
Are you sure those numbers are right?
S12
Yes, those numbers will be very close with a 130 gr TTSX in a .270 Win. If you are currently using H 4831 or H-1000 I can understand your concerns. The newer double base powders are Very different.
These aren't new revelations, invented by myself. I think if you would give them a try you would soon see where I'm coming from. As usual, start low & work up.
__________________
When applied by competent people with the right intent, common sense goes a long way.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-19-2019, 06:51 PM
marky_mark's Avatar
marky_mark marky_mark is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
As a matter of fact, I have 4 lbs here. Do you need some ?
I do lol
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-19-2019, 06:55 PM
Salavee Salavee is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Parkland County, AB
Posts: 3,455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I do lol
Well Marky.If you live close to me come & get one.
__________________
When applied by competent people with the right intent, common sense goes a long way.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-19-2019, 07:09 PM
chuck's Avatar
chuck chuck is online now
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Boy oh Boy.. seems Like I'm the odd man out here. Hasn't anyone tried the newer powders with thier fav old Cartridges?. Seems not to be the case.

May I suggest that you at least give them a try before you roast me. Like.. c'mon. You cant all be like Chuck.
Iíve burned far more than four pounds of it.
__________________
"All rifle mechanisms are not the same when it comes to reliability in the field."
-Bob F.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-19-2019, 07:14 PM
Buckhead Buckhead is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 1,127
Default

I haven't heard of anyone getting past 3200 fps with RL26 in a .270 Win.

I know it's legal now - but sometimes you have to switch to a different blend.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-19-2019, 07:16 PM
Salavee Salavee is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Parkland County, AB
Posts: 3,455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Iíve burned far more than four pounds of it.
Good for you Chuck. Did you learn anything from all that burning ?.. other than the usual.
__________________
When applied by competent people with the right intent, common sense goes a long way.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-19-2019, 07:19 PM
chuck's Avatar
chuck chuck is online now
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Good for you Chuck. Did you learn anything from all that burning ?.. other than the usual.
I sure learned that you arenít getting 3400 FPS with 130ís in your 270 with it.
__________________
"All rifle mechanisms are not the same when it comes to reliability in the field."
-Bob F.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-19-2019, 07:20 PM
chuck's Avatar
chuck chuck is online now
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,760
Default

OP, use a reloading manual to develop a load. After reading this thread you owe it to your forehead to do so.
__________________
"All rifle mechanisms are not the same when it comes to reliability in the field."
-Bob F.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 06-19-2019, 07:31 PM
Buckhead Buckhead is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 1,127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
OP, use a reloading manual to develop a load. After reading this thread you owe it to your forehead to do so.
Some people just like to make things complicated for no reason.
When there is a proven powder (or several) out there already.
Tune the load for your rifle - done.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-19-2019, 07:38 PM
chuck's Avatar
chuck chuck is online now
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
Some people just like to make things complicated for no reason.
When there is a proven powder (or several) out there already.
Tune the load for your rifle - done.
Agreed. Stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime at its finest.
__________________
"All rifle mechanisms are not the same when it comes to reliability in the field."
-Bob F.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-19-2019, 08:06 PM
270person 270person is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 2,254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
I wouldn't use a Barnes bullet to begin with.

Here here.
__________________
Go ahead. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-19-2019, 08:19 PM
chuck's Avatar
chuck chuck is online now
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,760
Default

This is how silly this discussion really is.

270 Win, 130 TSX, and H4831. At least 100 other cartridge/bullet/powder combinations would have worked. But to say this combination wonít or is somehow inferior is ridiculous.

__________________
"All rifle mechanisms are not the same when it comes to reliability in the field."
-Bob F.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 06-19-2019, 08:52 PM
Salavee Salavee is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Parkland County, AB
Posts: 3,455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
This is how silly this discussion really is.

270 Win, 130 TSX, and H4831. At least 100 other cartridge/bullet/powder combinations would have worked. But to say this combination wonít or is somehow inferior is ridiculous.

Now your back to normal.Show a Pic! Nobody said H 4831 wouldn't work'. All I mentioned that there were BETTER,more efficient powders for that particular cartridge/bullet combo. Namely RS Hunter and H100 V
and RL 26. If that makes the old standby H 4831less efficient than those in that particular cartridge/bullet combo why cant you just accept that fact for what it is and not try and make something else out of it?. In other words, in that combo they are all Superior performers to H4831, no ifs ands or buts'.. even if you say otherwise. Again, let me mention that Dean posted the manuals at your request. Note that there was no mention of H4831 as a good choice.
__________________
When applied by competent people with the right intent, common sense goes a long way.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 06-19-2019, 08:55 PM
chuck's Avatar
chuck chuck is online now
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,760
Default

Clearly. Laughing!

Now you know why I post pictures.

__________________
"All rifle mechanisms are not the same when it comes to reliability in the field."
-Bob F.

Last edited by chuck; 06-19-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 06-19-2019, 09:00 PM
elkhunter11 elkhunter11 is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Camrose
Posts: 34,350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Now your back to normal.Show a Pic! Nobody said H 4831 wouldn't work'. All I mentioned that there were BETTER,more efficient powders for that particular cartridge/bullet combo. Namely RS Hunter and H100 V
and RL 26. If that makes the old standby H 4831less efficient than those in that particular cartridge/bullet combo why cant you just accept that fact for what it is and not try and make something else out of it?. In other words, in that combo they are all Superior performers to H4831, no ifs ands or buts'.. even if you say otherwise. Again, let me mention that Dean posted the manuals at your request. Note that there was no mention of H4831 as a good choice.
Actually both manuals that Dean provided links for show H4831SC with 130gr bullets.
__________________
Only accurate guns are interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 06-19-2019, 09:08 PM
Deer Hunter's Avatar
Deer Hunter Deer Hunter is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,789
Default

If you think your manual is the be all end all then at least use the appropriate one.
Hybrid 100V listed by Barnes as the recommended powder.

__________________

Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 06-19-2019, 09:10 PM
Salavee Salavee is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Parkland County, AB
Posts: 3,455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Actually both manuals that Dean provided links for show H4831SC with 130gr bullets.
Yes SC,, not H 4831. There's a reason for that. Guess what it is .
__________________
When applied by competent people with the right intent, common sense goes a long way.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 06-19-2019, 09:18 PM
elkhunter11 elkhunter11 is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Camrose
Posts: 34,350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Yes SC,, not H 4831. There's a reason for that. Guess what it is .
H4831SC has a shorter grain size, so it meters better, performance wise, it is identical to H4831. At least that is what the manufacturer states on their site.
http://ns.hodgdon.com/extreme.html

Quote:
H4831SC - Ballistically, this Extreme Extruded powder is the exact copy of H4831. Physically, it has a shorter grain size, therefore, the designation SC or short cut. The shorter, more compact kernels allow the powder to flow through the powder measures more smoothly, helping to alleviate the constant cutting of granules. With the smoother flow characteristics comes more uniform charge weights, while the individual grains orient more compactly, creating better loading density
__________________
Only accurate guns are interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 06-19-2019, 09:18 PM
chuck's Avatar
chuck chuck is online now
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Yes SC,, not H 4831. There's a reason for that. Guess what it is .
I have used pounds and pounds and pounds of both. More than enough to know that there is not a nickels worth of practical difference between them. And yes that includes filling the case.
__________________
"All rifle mechanisms are not the same when it comes to reliability in the field."
-Bob F.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 06-19-2019, 09:19 PM
chuck's Avatar
chuck chuck is online now
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,760
Default

Try this. It works well.

__________________
"All rifle mechanisms are not the same when it comes to reliability in the field."
-Bob F.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 06-19-2019, 09:20 PM
chuck's Avatar
chuck chuck is online now
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
If you think your manual is the be all end all then at least use the appropriate one.
Hybrid 100V listed by Barnes as the recommended powder.

Which manual?

__________________
"All rifle mechanisms are not the same when it comes to reliability in the field."
-Bob F.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 06-19-2019, 09:22 PM
Deer Hunter's Avatar
Deer Hunter Deer Hunter is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,789
Default

The 270 Win will eat whatever you feed it. From 4895 to 4831. It really matters very little.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 06-19-2019, 09:25 PM
marky_mark's Avatar
marky_mark marky_mark is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Well Marky.If you live close to me come & get one.
I have lots of h4831sc dont use it
Wanna Trade???
HAHA

The shooting/hunting market is ultra competative these days
All the companies are constantly improving their products
Theres nothing wrong with what has worked in the past
But if your starting out fresh, why not take advantage of some of the advancements?
Why not try it and see if it works?
RL26 is extremely popular where its available
I just havent been able to find any of it
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 06-19-2019, 09:34 PM
Salavee Salavee is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Parkland County, AB
Posts: 3,455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I have used pounds and pounds and pounds of both. More than enough to know that there is not a nickels worth of practical difference between them. And yes that includes filling the case.
Well Chuck, I don't care if you've used tons of it. You still didn't learn anything.

Th reason Hodgdon made short-cut was because the regular kernels of H 4831 are too large for some cases and lighter bullets resulting is compressed loads. The .270 Win being one of them. ..yet you claim it made no difference when you used both. Quite a feat!
__________________
When applied by competent people with the right intent, common sense goes a long way.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 06-19-2019, 09:38 PM
chuck's Avatar
chuck chuck is online now
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,760
Default

The great equalizer.

Guys have been putting 60 grains of H4831 in 270 cases for a lot longer than Iíve been alive.

__________________
"All rifle mechanisms are not the same when it comes to reliability in the field."
-Bob F.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 06-19-2019, 09:40 PM
elkhunter11 elkhunter11 is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Camrose
Posts: 34,350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Well Chuck, I don't care if you've used tons of it. You still didn't learn anything.

Th reason Hodgdon made short-cut was because the regular kernels of H 4831 are too large for some cases and lighter bullets resulting is compressed loads. The .270 Win being one of them. ..yet you claim it made no difference when you used both. Quite a feat!
Perhaps Chuck knows what a drop tube is? I have one, that I have used to avoid compressed loads with the standard grain powders.

Apparently as I was posting Chuck was posting as well, and he does know what a drop tube funnel is.

I use the one below.

__________________
Only accurate guns are interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 06-19-2019, 09:46 PM
chuck's Avatar
chuck chuck is online now
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Perhaps Chuck knows what a drop tube is? I have one, that I have used to avoid compressed loads with the standard grain powders.

Apparently as I was posting Chuck was posting as well, and he does know what a drop tube funnel is.

I use the one below.

How long do you want it? :-)

__________________
"All rifle mechanisms are not the same when it comes to reliability in the field."
-Bob F.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 06-19-2019, 09:47 PM
Salavee Salavee is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Parkland County, AB
Posts: 3,455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Perhaps Chuck knows what a drop tube is? I have one, that I have used to avoid compressed loads with the standard grain powders.

Apparently as I was posting Chuck was posting as well, and he does know what a drop tube funnel is.

I use the one below.

Leave it to you,,. Change the subject to the use of a drop tube. Utterly brilliant move. Next ?
__________________
When applied by competent people with the right intent, common sense goes a long way.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.