Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-12-2014, 12:15 PM

Default Spring fishing near Edmonton

So I started fishing again last year after a good 10 years of not fishing however it was really late in the season so I am unsure of which pothole lakes are good to start at once the ice starts to melt, basically which ones are the least likely to winterkill and which should I avoid until they are stocked?

I spent my time out at chickacoo with my son a lot last fall, but I hear it winterkills pretty year so just looking for good spot for me and my boy, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:40 PM

If you are in edmonton, there are many places.
I was almost living art chiccaccoo a few years ago then I rediscovered the North Sask River any where you can get down to it you can have a fishing adventure , and so many different fish to catch !! you'd be admazed at what you could catch with a pickle rig and worms
Old 03-12-2014, 01:14 PM

When I first moved to Alberta I lived further north and used to fish the Athabasca using a pickerel rig and worms worked great. My son likes the lakes we went fishing on the nsr out by genesee and he didn't like the river. He is only 5 and if potholes are what interest him I would like to stick to those to keep him interested and hope his interest grows. We don't have the luxury of a boat either, hopefully next year though.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:36 PM
Banned

I will bring you and your son out if you want in my boat to pigeon. Catch a whack of walleyes
Old 03-12-2014, 01:52 PM

Bring your son out to my place and feed the trout in one of my man made lakes.Once we get them fed, it's time to catch some!!! He will remember it forever.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:19 PM

I woul suggest the north saskatchewan river ! I'd be happy to help , just shoot me a pm
Old 03-12-2014, 05:10 PM

All positives for once... Nice work fellas!!
Old 03-12-2014, 06:41 PM

I appreciate the positive feed back, my son isn't interested in river fishing, but I certainly am. I am sure he will become interested in good time and it would be nice to have a spot where he becomes interested
Old 03-12-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailian View Post
I appreciate the positive feed back, my son isn't interested in river fishing, but I certainly am. I am sure he will become interested in good time and it would be nice to have a spot where he becomes interested
Ah I see , pm and I have a couple suggestions that might appeal to your son (:
Old 04-07-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishAb View Post
I woul suggest the north saskatchewan river ! I'd be happy to help , just shoot me a pm
I live in Calgary & would like to fish up north maybe in May of this year. I do not know much about gear being used in the river. I started fishing 2 years ago. I am a student so not a lot of $$ to buy fancy gear. Any help will be great.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:07 AM
Banned

there are lots of places to fish within an hour of edm. lots of factors to consider also. while some of the pothole lakes are great from shore, some are hard to fish without a boat. some are easy to walk to and some not so much. what kind of fish do you want to catch and do you want supper or is it catch and release?
never count the nsr out for a nice fishing experiance. it really is the most accessible and it doesn't require a lot of equipement.
pm me with more info. and perhaps the age of your son and i can give you plenty of advice.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailian View Post

When Open water season opens shoot me a PM, I have a small boat and would love to take out you and your boy... Can head to Wab, he will catch some fish and have fun... Always a pleasure taking out a young kid to become an addict like so many of us on here. Look forward to hearing from you.

Ricardo