Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-25-2014, 10:29 PM
Banned

Default caught some monsters

one thing the heavy rain we got today in edm. is that it brings the big ones to the surface! i got these beauties (3-4 dozen) between the end of 3rd period and start of overtime. going to make an effort to stay up till midnight when they really come out. these were taken while still light outside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w5.jpg (53.0 KB, 686 views)
File Type: jpg w4.jpg (49.6 KB, 398 views)
Old 05-25-2014, 10:31 PM

get them onto a good bed of shredded newspaper and barely moist soil then cover with shredded lettuce.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
get them onto a good bed of shredded newspaper and barely moist soil then cover with shredded lettuce.
thanks for the advice crank. i know it's well intentioned, but i've been doing this for awhile and have found that shredded newspaper goes mouldy quite quickly. i have a different method and have kept dew worms healthy and happy for 8 months or more.
i also prefer sprinkling cornmeal rather then lettuce, though i will add a little green from time to time.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
one thing the heavy rain we got today in edm. is that it brings the big ones to the surface! i got these beauties (3-4 dozen) between the end of 3rd period and start of overtime. going to make an effort to stay up till midnight when they really come out. these were taken while still light outside.
Nice find

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
This was my next question, thx for the info!!..
Old 05-26-2014, 07:21 AM

Default Nice catch

In Winnipeg we use to gather them by the bushel ,haven't found a spot in
Calgary area that has them . I'm not a fan of newspaper for long term
Always had a thousand or so in the beer fridge . I found Spagnam moss
And a little corn meal ,worked great . After we discovered crawlers about
68 -69 nothing else would do. We re into plastic paddle baits now ...
No refrigeration lol

Those are definitely jumbos , near the river ?
Old 05-26-2014, 09:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
In Winnipeg we use to gather them by the bushel ,haven't found a spot in
Calgary area that has them . I'm not a fan of newspaper for long term
Always had a thousand or so in the beer fridge . I found Spagnam moss
And a little corn meal ,worked great . After we discovered crawlers about
68 -69 nothing else would do. We re into plastic paddle baits now ...
No refrigeration lol

Those are definitely jumbos , near the river ?
i'm lucky that i don't have to go far to catch them. they are in my yard and in the neighbours yards. last june and july were very wet months and i had about 100 dozen stored in a beer fridge. the fridge somehow got unplugged and i lost my whole "worm farm".
they can be tricky little buggers to catch, but once you get used to it it can be lots of fun. this year i'll be monitering them better. want to find out how long they can stay healthy. i'm betting at least a year.
lots of people don't realize that they are not native to canada.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
i'm lucky that i don't have to go far to catch them. they are in my yard and in the neighbours yards. last june and july were very wet months and i had about 100 dozen stored in a beer fridge. the fridge somehow got unplugged and i lost my whole "worm farm".
they can be tricky little buggers to catch, but once you get used to it it can be lots of fun. this year i'll be monitering them better. want to find out how long they can stay healthy. i'm betting at least a year.
lots of people don't realize that they are not native to canada.
When you say that you store them in the fridge what exactly do you store them in and how often do you change out the dirt that there stored in to stay healthy.I also went out last night in my yard and picked a pile of them. For now I just put them in a 5 gallon pail with some dirt.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:46 PM

I take my daughter out worm hunting when it rains lol. Never seen nightcrawlers in sask before. Ill be headed out after work if there still crawling around lol
Old 05-26-2014, 04:51 PM

Those worms look almost blue, kinda weird looking actually. I've got jumbos like that in my yard as well, but they are more pinkish/red like a regular worm. Maybe thats just city worms...lol
Old 05-26-2014, 11:35 PM

Great thread Waterninja! Thanks for inspiring me to get out! I took my girls for a walk and we got a bucket of earthworms. Nightfall landed and I switched to night crawlers. They are sure tricky at first haha had a couple wrestle me.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:56 AM

for myself i try to collect worms after or during a rain storm and was wondering what kind of a shelf life they have? i find the ones i pick up off the sidewalk are great if you use them that day but when i put the unused ones into the HT worm bedding they are dead in a few days. i was told it is because they are already so saturated with water they drown. is this true?
Old 05-27-2014, 01:00 PM
Banned

Default shelf life

1... i have found that worms picked up off the sidewalk after a heavy rain are allready dying and don't last long. the ones picked that are still anchored in the soil can stay healthy if stored and handled properly for at least 8 months or maybe longer. this year i'm putting a batch aside to see how long i can keep them alive.
2... ajax! what have you done? ever since you posted those pics. of your lovely daughters collecting worms this thread no longer fits on my computer screen. those were great pics. but something about the way you posted them has altered the entire format of this thread. who needs a super bug or virus. could you please send a pic. of something to canada revenue as i need more time to pay them off and you can shut them down for awhile. lol