Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-25-2014, 07:57 AM

Default Canadian Princess Charter

If I was to book a charter with Canadian Princess, can I expect to catch much or will it be slow fishing with that many people fishing out of the same boat? I'd definitely want to catch my limit of chinook, coho and halibut if I was going out in the ocean, how long would it take or is that an unreal expectation if fishing out of a big boat with lots of people?

Any other economical charters to take that you'ld recommend? I'd consider going to Rupert and the Charlottes as well. I heard of one charter with a boat full of people that caught mostly dogfish, I'd like to skip that option!

Do you have to spend the big bucks to get into serious fishing?
Old 05-25-2014, 09:10 AM

You will be hard pressed to catch your limit with that many people. Its been quit a few years since I went out but when I did, 3 of us went for 3 days. I caught a hell of a lot of dogfish and absolutely no salmon or halibut. The other 2 guys that I went with did a bit better. If I remember correctly the 3 of us brought home 3 salmon and no halibut which isn't terribly impressive for the amount of time we put in. We also went bottom fishing and brought back a crap load of bottom fish though. The boats we were on caught fish but everyone is on a pretty level playing field, it will all depend on which lure down there that the fish wants to hit.

I think that if you want a better chance to bring home fish then its better to charter.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI-UTE View Post
If I was to book a charter with Canadian Princess, can I expect to catch much or will it be slow fishing with that many people fishing out of the same boat? I'd definitely want to catch my limit of chinook, coho and halibut if I was going out in the ocean, how long would it take or is that an unreal expectation if fishing out of a big boat with lots of people?

Any other economical charters to take that you'ld recommend? I'd consider going to Rupert and the Charlottes as well. I heard of one charter with a boat full of people that caught mostly dogfish, I'd like to skip that option!

Do you have to spend the big bucks to get into serious fishing?
When I have gone with Princess, it has never been right in the peak. Maybe 50% of the boat caught Salmon on a very good day.
Most often on a half day fishing I was lucky to catch 2.Lots of travel time and then 20+ rods mooching over the side.
But-the price was right and it fit my budget at the time. I was paying for the ex and 2 kids. So ,even the cost of Poor Boy fishing adds up real fast.

If cost is a consideration then try Princess once to get it out of your system and then save up for a more professional fishing experience

Last edited by omega50; 05-25-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:09 AM

IMO
The princess isn't a true fishing charter...it's more of a glorified sight seeing trip..
Nearly the Same $ for a small boat that's gonna truly target the fish for you... And not limited to jigging. You will be very hard pressed to fill your limit of anything except maybe rock cod...

Good luck

Long story short...Oak bay marine will never see my dime again!

Last edited by Fishnafterwork; 05-25-2014 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 05-25-2014, 11:19 AM

Rather than just being a downer ... Haha

Every nite I went down to the docks these guys always cleaned up.. Dunno price you'll have to checkhttp://westcoastfish.com/about/
Old 05-25-2014, 01:41 PM

I have fished many times with Canadian Princess. I caught my limit only once. Often no one on boat caught salmon. Always had a good time. Cabins are great. Staying on ship not so great. Equipment average. If you want your limit I would suggest a different charter.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:56 AM
AO Sponsor

Ok thanks for the heads up, I won't waste my time with them. What about up at Rupert, any similar economical charters up there?
Old 05-27-2014, 11:24 AM

There is a reason that the Canadian Princess is so popular.
It is inexpensive compared to the alternative.
I am certainly not stating that they are where you should go.
But my Salmon with them was likely as delicious as the one caught by XYZ charter that dogged our boat at 4x the price.
I am a meat hunter on a budget-not paying for the glory-just the meat-My criteria for success is simply-What is the cost per lb of my trip?
I recognize that I am in the minorityNot fond of the ocean-I puke occasionally in large swells.
Most of my joy happens after I have the fish back home and can honor it in a tasty meal.
What is going to make you happy? Identify it-and go for it. Even if it costs more.

Last edited by omega50; 05-27-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:39 PM

I fished with them about 10 years ago. Limited on salmon and caught a halibut but didn't limit on halibut. Most guys on the boat caught at least one salmon. Not many guys caught halibut though.

Consider bringing your own terminal tackle. When you have a whole boatload of guys all jigging the same lure, throwing something different down helps your presentation stand out.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Ok thanks for the heads up, I won't waste my time with them. What about up at Rupert, any similar economical charters up there?
Marty. Rupert doesn't offer anything remotely like the princess.
You have fly in lodges
You have us as the only Lodge in Rupert
Then you have Day charters.

Rates on Day charters are $1,200 and up (4-5people)

There is a option of using our day charter boat that will fish 2 at a reduced rate.
As well we offer a large day charter boat.

We should talk if your thinking about heading up this way.
Fishing looks to be fantastic for 2014.

Thanks
Jamie
Old 05-28-2014, 08:24 AM
AO Sponsor

I suspect the trick with going on the Princess is that you re there when the big runs are coming through?

Last edited by Marty S; 05-28-2014 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:33 PM

I would not recommend going on any of the salmon charters or halibut with the princess. Typically I do not find it hard to max out on Chinook, but it is hard to fill out your other salmon. I typically get lucky enough to catch a chicken Hali, but have never seen anything large caught.

I highly recommend their bottom fishing charters. I always max out on my Rockfish. Most of the time they are of the Vermillion, Canary, and black rockfish species. Most of the time I get 1 or 2 keeper ling cod and once in a while I hook into a Cabazon. You'll also see a few salmon on the bottom fishing charters. If I max out on my rockfish sometimes I'll start jigging off the bottom a ways and hook into a salmon.

Don't bother with the salmon or Halibut charters, but the Bottom fishing is Great every time and really cheap!