Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-28-2017, 10:25 PM

Default Partner or Solo?

Hey everyone, I've been curious as to how people like to fish.

I usually fish with someone, but work has taken them into the states for the next few months. I've been doing a lot of fishing on my own, all stocked lakes for now and its been a lot better then i thought it would. Pretty Relaxing

Now that I'm thinking of heading out to the northish bits of the FTR, I'm a bit uneasy about heading out alone. Last couple years fishing out that way, we barely saw anyone for the entirety of our 3-4 day trips.

Do you guys like to fish alone? Usually go out with a buddy? Do you carry bear spray or anything when heading out?

Just curious...
Old 06-29-2017, 05:33 AM

While I usually fish with a buddy, and I do enjoy the company, I also do quite a bit of fishing alone. I find fishing alone is a fantastic way to clear my thoughts and lower my stress level a notch or two. If anyone has ever tried any "mindfulness" exercises, fly fishing is an excellent way to focus on living "in the moment". It's a great way to relax because you're not thinking about the past or future, just concentrating on that damned fish to inhale that fly.

I try to use common sense when I go out by myself though... let people know where I'm going and when I expect to be back. I carry bear spray if I'm hiking as I often go into Kananaskis, or the Castle area.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:29 AM

I do 90% of my FTR and mountain stream fishing alone. Like Scott said, give someone a heads up where your going and when you should be back. I always carry bear spray and do lots of talking to myself out loud. Longer trips I will even pack a second bear spray. Just be sure to use extra caution when wading big waters or around steep banks/cliff sides.

Fishing alone in areas where there aren't many other fishermen is fantastic. Every pool and fish to yourself! You will have a good few days! Tight lines!
Old 06-29-2017, 08:39 AM

My preference is to fish with a partner for safety reasons as I'm mostly in the Alpine, but also when fishing mountain streams.

Peter

-Confucius
Old 06-29-2017, 09:53 AM

I like to fish with someone, but be 100m or so away at least most of the time to actually be fishing alone and concentrating on the water and my own fishing. Nice to ride with someone, eat lunch with someone and have backup somewhere and to discuss the day's fishing.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:15 AM

I generally prefer to fly fish alone. just my dog and bear spray. With the boat I've always taken someone along. I've not yet had the opportunity to launch it and fish alone. I'll probably do it alone once I can retire and fish midweek, etc. I'm more concerned about clogging up the loading ramp trying to unload and load alone and keep others waiting on a busy weekend.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:32 PM

Definitely going to pick up some bear spray before heading out on my own.

Cheers guys,

ShhImFishing
Old 06-30-2017, 08:56 PM

I've been fishing mostly alone (with my dog) for 30 odd years hiking and camping all along the FTR. I carry bear spray (had to use it once). Also carry a SPOT and check in with my safety contact every evening. I'll be switching to an InReach unit when my current contract expires. Really worth considering one if you are moving around from place to place and not at a specific river access point. You just can't count on cell coverage in lots of places.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddisfly7 View Post
I do 90% of my FTR and mountain stream fishing alone. Like Scott said, give someone a heads up where your going and when you should be back. I always carry bear spray and do lots of talking to myself out loud. Longer trips I will even pack a second bear spray. Just be sure to use extra caution when wading big waters or around steep banks/cliff sides.

Fishing alone in areas where there aren't many other fishermen is fantastic. Every pool and fish to yourself! You will have a good few days! Tight lines!
X2. I also carry a big " last chance" knife with me on top of bear spray. Only if I'm fishing mountain streams. Another plus about fishing alone is only you know the where abouts of your secret fishing holes
Old 06-30-2017, 10:08 PM

Lightbulb Me, Myself and I

Although I usually head out with someone I've often been told that I am in my own little world anyways.... wonder what that means
Old 06-30-2017, 10:25 PM
Banned

Alone, nothing better than thinking you're the only snack on the menu.
Solitude is fantastic. I used to do solo mountaineering trips that I wouldn't even think of, let alone consider, nowadays. Someone yapping or disturbing your thought pattern while fishing just isn't for me. Maybe in a boat drinking beers but not on the streams, it just doesn't work. Buddy system, well, ya only live once....
Old 07-01-2017, 07:46 AM

I shudder now when I think back to the winter steelheading days on the coast and all the solo trips in the canyon rivers. One slip and it would have been game over but survived! Nowadays great having a buddy to help with the boat launching and handling the anchor!
Old 07-01-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
"Someone yapping or disturbing your thought pattern while fishing just isn't for me. Maybe in a boat drinking beers but not on the streams, it just doesn't work."

It doesn't work in a boat either.

If the person I go fishing with is a big talker it usually only happens once a year cuz' I can't tolerate it.

Peace, quiet and being engaged with the activity works for me.

Too much talking or other noise damages my delicate sensibilties.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Baum View Post
I like to fish with someone, but be 100m or so away at least most of the time to actually be fishing alone and concentrating on the water and my own fishing. Nice to ride with someone, eat lunch with someone and have backup somewhere and to discuss the day's fishing.
X 2........ quiet and serene but help is nearby if needed....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Baum View Post
Exactly this ^^ ... I like the ride and the occasional breaks together but especially when fly fishing moving water I would rather have a healthy buffer between myself and the next guy ... even if the next guy is my buddy, and to top it all off a little friendly competition is always fun.

When spin fishing flat water its almost the opposite especially it a boat I like having someone else there much less chance of tangles so the buffer can be a lot smaller.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:43 AM

Dog and Bear Spray. Not all dogs work for this. Your dog should be a partner and companion. A dog that has been kept inside all week and not walked won't be much fun on the river. One that has been run properly and knows expectations, commands and it's role will make for an incredibly rewarding experience. Secondly, the bond with a dog that trusts it's role with you will be much greater than any partner who complains the beer got warm or who has to rush home to the city.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLhammy View Post
Dog and Bear Spray. Not all dogs work for this. Your dog should be a partner and companion. A dog that has been kept inside all week and not walked won't be much fun on the river. One that has been run properly and knows expectations, commands and it's role will make for an incredibly rewarding experience. Secondly, the bond with a dog that trusts it's role with you will be much greater than any partner who complains the beer got warm or who has to rush home to the city.

The only problem with fishing with your favourite buddy is they aren't to helpful when you need a hand with the net one big bull! Lol. But I prefer fishing with my dog and my true favourite person is my girlfriend otherwise I fish alone and have had lots of great times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2017, 11:20 AM

I almost always fish with a buddy.

I often fish along FTR, so with no cell signal, it's good to know someone can drive my clumsy ars back to somewhere if needed.

i always have three things when i go out fishing in the west country:
1) bear spray, on my left side of my fishing vest.
2) a big knife, on the right side of my fishing vest.
3) my trusty husky - she won't let anything get at me before having a go with her.

GL, be safe!

Cheers
Old 07-05-2017, 12:28 PM

I don't remember the last time I fished flowing water with someone...probably 20 years ago.

Knife, first aid kit with quick clot, stapler and sutures (FYI it's dang near impossible to sew up a wound you can't get to with both hands, that's what the other two are for), Cajun spray, shotgun. When you have the confidence that you can take care of yourself, solo trips are a lot more relaxing.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:40 PM
Suspended User

I finally found my fishing partner. About 8 years ago I had a beautiful young woman want to make a couple of casts with my rod. I placed that rod gently in her soft hands, and she set the hook.
Now she's as ready to go fishing as fast as I am. Our 4 year old daughter, asks to go fishing regularly.
It sure ****ed off the then wife, but dang it she wouldn't go fishing anyways.

Catch and release. Applies to fat, lazy women too.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:56 PM

When I'm fishing the river and streams I'm either running solo or with my kids. Only time you will catch me slinging line with anyone else is when we hit the lake and the only time I hit the lake is when my better half forces me to socialize...

I just don't get the same satisfaction sitting around with a jig as i do hiking a beautiful mountain stream.

SUN TZU