Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-03-2007, 10:57 AM
legend boats

Default legend boats

What are everyone,s opinions on these boats. I am thinking about buying the 17 Xcalibur. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:53 AM
Black RT

Default legend

ive had a 17' Cyclone since 95 and love it

has never given me a problem....not even one!!
Old 04-03-2007, 01:48 PM
huntercam

Default Re: legend

How much?
Old 04-03-2007, 07:38 PM
legend boats

Default legend boats

24,000 with a 90hp merc 2 stroke.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Winch101

For that kind of money you can buy a 1750 sport angler from crestliner with a 90 hp merc
Old 04-04-2007, 09:51 AM
legend boats

Default legend boats

crestliners suck, i have already seen two of them completely swamped and full of water. Transoms are way to low.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:40 AM
huntercam

what do you think of the Sylvan's i was looking at one at the Edmonton show really like the look of the Prosport 1700DC with a 115hp Optimax what's everybodys thoughts? Running around $26000 with the full load of options

Cam
Old 04-04-2007, 12:03 PM
legend boats

Default legend boats

Are they welded or rivited hulls? The legends are all welded and claim to be 75% thicker alumunum than any other boats.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:14 PM
huntercam

www.sylvanmarine.com/fish...1700dc.htm

One piece gull wing hull.
.125 guage one piece bottom
.125 guage hand fitted ribs on 10'' centers
with 5 keels for superior control and impact resistance and better lift and support.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:13 PM
FiveO

Default Legend Boats

Hey Fasteddie, did you know Crestliner offers two sizes of transome? Crestliner is probably one of the best boats out there and not just saying that because i have one. I did my home work when i bought.

Sylvan is a rivited boat and to be honest i wouldnt buy one. I had A Sylvan about 8 years ago and it wasnt my favorite.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Rifle14

Default rivets

And here I thought rivets were better than welds...Lund uses them, don't they?
Old 04-09-2007, 12:30 PM
FiveO

Default Re: rivets

Ya Lund uses them but i dont like rivets they leak over time. I checked out a couple lunds when i was shopping and the 16'6 were not as wide as the crestliner and didnt like the rivets. Any decent river boat is a welded unit because they stand up alot better.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:06 PM
rainbowriser

What about misty river guys i have my uncles 1972 misty alum 14/ that is rivets and its holding upstrong my uncle fished everywhere and lots of it ,misty river claims that there hulls are one of the best around they are up there with lund',crestliner,alumweld,etc for smaller fishing boats and they do sell the bigger you fellows are discussing ,the only trouble with mine is polising the alum,what a can of work that is. any way maybe check them out.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:48 PM
rivets

Default rivets

Misty River has either a 20 yr or lifetime warranty on their hulls. My first 14' developed a split in the transom , i brought the boat to the dealer who tested it which then it had to be shipped back to Misty river for further testing , after confirming there was a defect they cut me a check for the full amount i payed not the suggested or retail price. I didn't switch brands i went and bought another one and have had no complaints. I actually feel safer in than the 16' princecraft my buddy had , when it was rough you couldn't sit in the seats you had to sit on the floor ,it would just pitch and roll all over the place. My boat was used alot on Slave and now has been used in the saltwater and i would buy another one in a flash.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:32 AM
Winch101

You have to be from Manitoba to know the history
of Misty River , we called it the poor mans lund .
They copied the lund s16 to a tee , their factory was out the back door of the Lund plant in Steinbach.
I just purchased a 1650 Crestliner , my second crestliner ,
I shopped for a year or two , on those fishing websites
in the USA midwest , you read about as many problems with rivets as welds. It looks like a crap shoot to me , luck of the draw ... I looked at Legend at the boat show , seemed a little tinny . A 16' boat should weigh 900 to 1100 lbs , 17' 1300 to
1500 lbs . The price difference between Lund and Crestliner
was too substantial to ignore . Seeing asthe same corporation
owns all the boats and motors worth talking about; you wonder about the pricing .
All river boats are welded , they get a pounding a lake boat will never see.
You get what you pay for , and your warranty is only as good
as the dealer you get it from . And man there are some bad dealers out there .....W101
Old 04-10-2007, 12:10 PM
rivets

Default rivets

I have to agree on the dealer thing, it was 4 yrs since i had the problem with mine so i had forgot some stuff about what happened. I had bought mine at a dealer in St.Albert so i brought it back there for warranty even after the service adviser told me to bring it to a welding shop, told him what was wrong but he didn't need to look at it because he knew what i was talking about. So after 6 weeks i go back to pick it up so i could use it duck hunting ,well the service guy says i don't have it done but i will give you the part to do yourself. Well i ain't never put a transom in a boat before so i told him you best come take a look, well he had order a little bolt on cap for the back corner. I ended up taking it back home and using it until the spring came i called them back and well their not the dealer anymore. I had numerous calls to the service rep for Alberta who was just giving me the run around for about a couple of weeks. It wasn't until i emailed the person in sales( i think) in Manitoba that everything was settled. I had totally forgot about the whole experience, i guess i blocked it out. Sorry for hijaking your post , i had also read a lot of forums on rivets or welds and came to the same conclusion that they both had there benefits and disadvantages. Once again sorry for hijacking this.
600twin
Old 04-10-2007, 01:08 PM
Winch101

Thats ok all imput is good . Service isnt important till you need some ...One thing I cant believe is how some of these so called fishing boats are so user unfriendly .. i.e. location
of plugs and switches , weight distribution . displacement of hull , at rest and on plane .
I was in on some of the original conversations involving
the boat industry and pro anglers , that set in motion the
manufacture of Deep-V hulls on aluminum boats . Pro V series for instance ...
Fishing in a straight line on calm water is a nobrainer .
3 to 5 ft swells on a table top rock pile , vertical jigging ,
in 25 ft. of water requires a little more finesse .
I know some of the old guys on the Crestliner pro team .
I am reasonably sure they are giving the company imput
to manufacture a product that fisherman can use with confidence .
I still think they are the best bang for your buck !!!!