Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-05-2007, 07:02 PM
Aulrich rabbit's

Default Aulrich rabbit's

Hi i was going to ask if you need a few recipes but i see they closed that thread for good reason if you need a few recipes let me know, Homesteader's rabbit with cream Gravey,Sherried rabbit,SouthernFried rabbit,Oven -Barbecued Rabbit i have done this one on a nother thread ,Rabbit in apple Cider,rabbit stew, Oven-Braised rabbit with gravey,Rabbit braised withbacon and mushrooms, rabbit with dumplings spanish rabbit,tomato-rabbit Casserole. if any interest you let me know i will write them up Just ask Ps Nice shooting
Old 01-08-2007, 01:42 PM
aulrich

That would be great. The southern fried, Braised and spanish recipies sound cool. Anything that looks like stew I am good we do alot of stew with deer.

The big problem with the first try was that it ended up really gamey, Stronger than any deer I have had in a long time. What I am going to do for the next try is my Mom's old trick of marinating with buttermilk, I remember that work well at smothing the gamy flavor out. It will be a standard stew but I will de-bone the meat and add some bacon during the browning. I probably have 20 meals worth of meat so I will need all of the recipies I can get

I'll look for the Oven Barbecued recipy too

Thanks
Old 01-08-2007, 06:26 PM
Southern Frie

Default Southern Fried rabbit with gravy

1/3 Cup all purpose flour
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper,Optional
1 Rabbit,cut up vegetable oil
3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour1-1/2 cups milk or chicken broth Salt and pepper brown bouquet sauce,optional.

In large plactic food -storage bag,combine 1/3 cup flour,the salt,black pepper,and cayenne pepper:shake mix.add rabbit pcs:Shake to coat.In large skillet,heat1/4 inch oil for rabbit,over medium-high heat until hot.add coated meat;brown on all sides.Reduceheat;cover tightly.cook over low heat until tender,20 to 25 min for rabbit,turning pcs .once.Remove cover;cook 5 minutes longer to crisp.Transfer meat to plate lined with paper towels.Set aside and keep warm.

Discard all but 3 tablespoons oil.over medium heat,stir flour into reserved oil.blend in Milk.Cook over medium heat,Stirring constantly,until thickened and bubbly. Add salt and papper to taste.add bouQuet sause if darker color is desired. Serve gravy with meat.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Spanish Rabbi

Default Spanish Rabbit

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 rabbit cut up
2 medium onions,Chopped
1 green pepper,cut into 1/2 inch pcs.
2 cloves garlic,minced
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup uncooked long grain rice
1/2 cup snopped fresh parsley
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed saffron threads
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 medium tomatoes,seeded,chooped,and drained
1 cup large pitted blake olives
1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimiento,drained

In dutch oven,heat oil over medium heat.Add rabbit pcs.fry 10 min.turning pcs, over once .Remove with slotted spoon ;set aside.add onions,green pepper,and garlic to oil .cook and stir until tender.add rabbit pcs.stock,rice,parsley,salt, saffron,and pepper.Heat to boil.Reduce heat;cover.Simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed,45 to 55 min.Stir in tomatoes,olives,and pimiento.re-cover.Cook until heated through,about 5 min.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Rabbit Brasid

Default Rabbit Brasid with Bacon and mushroom

8 slices bacon ,cut up
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 rabbit ,cut up
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 cup red wine
1 medium onion,chopped
1/4 cup brandy
1/4 cup applesauce
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 gloves garlic,minced
1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
salt and freshly ground black pepper
In large skillet,cook bacon over medium heat until crisp,stirring occasionally.remove skillet from heat.remove bacon with slotted spoon; set aside. reserve 2 tablespoons bacon fat in skillet.

in large plastic food storage bag,combine flour,salt,and pepper;shake to mix. add rabbit pcs.shake to coat.melt butter in reserved bacon fat in skillet over medium -low heat.add coated rabbit pcs;brown well on all sides over medium-high heat. Remove rabbit pcs with slotted spoon. add wine,onion,brandy,applesauce,vinegar,mustard,and garlic.mixwell .return rabbit pcs.to skillet.heat to boiling. reduce heat;cover. simmer 45 min,turning rabbit pcs occasionally. add mushrooms and cook bacon. re-cover.Simmeruntil rabbit pcs are tender,10 to 20 min. longer.Add salt and pepper to taste.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:12 AM
aulrich

Default Re: Rabbit Brasid with Bacon and mushroom

Thanks I'll give them a try, and let you know how it turned out.