Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-03-2017, 11:18 AM

Default Reel weeds

I bought these a few yrs back and have not used them. Thinking maybe I should sell em but thought I would see if any one has tried them and did they work? Drilling an extra 5 or 6 holes to set up the weeds and your camera cable is a lot of work for old guys like me, but if they bring in the perch maybe I should keep them. Any one got a thought on the Reel Weeds
Old 11-03-2017, 12:01 PM

Were you smoking something when you bought them? lol
Old 11-03-2017, 05:50 PM

I’ve used them many times and my findings are inconclusive. I can’t honestly say if they hurt or help. Maybe only a couple times they seemed to increase my catch rate. Leaning towards they don’t really help side of things. I have found the underwater camera, fish silhouette, and camera cable more effective in sparking their curiosity to come in for look. Seems like when you drop the camera down and if there are any in the vicinity they will come in for a look. Sometimes staring straight in to the camera from 3” away for a few minutes and circling around checking it out. I have found that the more Perch you can attract around your presentation the more that seem to come in to check it out. Keeping their attention to attract as many as possible before they move off is key. The herd mentality can take over making for quick action when that happens. A flashy spoon is the best way to call them in. They can see it from a long ways off even in murky water. Good luck!
Old 11-03-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerchBuster View Post
I’ve used them many times and my findings are inconclusive. I can’t honestly say if they hurt or help. Maybe only a couple times they seemed to increase my catch rate. Leaning towards they don’t really help side of things. I have found the underwater camera, fish silhouette, and camera cable more effective in sparking their curiosity to come in for look. Seems like when you drop the camera down and if there are any in the vicinity they will come in for a look. Sometimes staring straight in to the camera from 3” away for a few minutes and circling around checking it out. I have found that the more Perch you can attract around your presentation the more that seem to come in to check it out. Keeping their attention to attract as many as possible before they move off is key. The herd mentality can take over making for quick action when that happens. A flashy spoon is the best way to call them in. They can see it from a long ways off even in murky water. Good luck!
Interesting...I have always been curious about those. One of the books I have suggests using bright colored pennants, aka streamers (available at your local used car lot, lol) for panfish. Leave them for an hour then come back and fish.

Camera definitely attracts them. Maybe just as well?...One day I recall distinctly, had drilled a hole on a super clear lake and was panning around. I didn't see squat. After 5-10 minutes saw what can only be described as a rolling wave of perch heading in. Unfortunately, they had no interest atall in what I was offering but it was cool to see the "herd" approaching in droves.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:55 PM

i made up my own one year out of plastic garland. used them around my permanent shack they definitely did not hurt.

mack
Old 11-04-2017, 07:16 AM

Herd of guys sticking spruce branches through the ice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk