Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-08-2007, 10:51 PM
jrs

Default Southern Guys!!

Hey, has anyone been up to Beaver Mines or Butcher, or other lakes in the area lately? Know if the ice is off? I was ice fishing 3 weeks ago and it was slowly receeding. Would like to know as i'll be heading out Wednesday for a few days to check it out. Last year when i got up there it was still frozen and i had to go fish Crow instead for the first couple days. Thanks if anyone can help. Otherwise i may just get stuck at Payne and the Oldman River below reservoir for a few days.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:59 PM
Southern Ice

Default Southern Ice

Ice is gone from all the southern waterbodies. Lees was fishing slow, but did manage to hook into a hawg that snapped me off before I could blink.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:00 AM
jrs

Default Re: Southern Ice

So did you drive by Beaver Mines? Last year it was not thawed for another week. Its usually the last to ice out. Thanks for the info on Lees. Good to hear theres some big ones in their once again. Good luck!
Old 04-09-2007, 11:19 AM

Default .

beaver mines was over half open as of 2 weeks ago yesterday
Old 04-09-2007, 04:23 PM
jrs

Default Re: .

Excellent, thanks. May still be the odd ice berg but i'll wear thick boots . Appreciate the report.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:35 PM
rainbowriser

southerener; what did you nail the hog on ,is was out on sat and sun and it was realy slow ,buitifull day though on sunday ,i tried leehes ,midges,and a few drys but preety slow ,im just learning just second season so my casts arnt the greatest but with a proper rod instead of the 2x4 im using things will get better i know there is some hugs in there just gotta find them ,any advice would be appreciated .
Old 04-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Re: Southern Ice

I nailed the hog on a special pattern of my own (sorry I can't disclose the details). Best luck I had was with an evil weavil style pattern with a pink body and peacock herl thorax.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Re: Southern Ice

I nailed the hog on a special pattern of my own (sorry I can't disclose the details). Best luck I had was with an evil weavil style pattern with a pink body and peacock herl thorax.

The hogs usually come out in the wee hours of dusk, and go back to the depths in the early morning around dawn
Old 04-09-2007, 09:26 PM
rainbowriser

Thanx for the tip
Old 04-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Moults

Default Lee Hog

And man are there some hogs in there! I was at Lee a week and a half ago (totally open) and saw a dead trout lying on the bottom. The thing was at least 23-25 inches in length. Wish I'd have had a shot at that bad boy!
Old 04-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Hogs in Lees

Default Hogs in Lees

Biggest trout I've seen come out of Lees was in a gill net we set for a fish population survey. Weighed a whopping 7.8 lbs and was one hell of a nice fish.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:44 PM
goldscud

Default hawgs

I believe they throw some old brood stock in there every once and a while.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:50 PM
rainbowriser

Default Re: Hogs in Lees

I think there in there to, as theres been alot of stories some provin some not, i guess il just keep huntin them ,i think i d have to get the spincast out with downriggers, oops sorry i will bite my tongue . any way happy trout huntin :
Old 04-10-2007, 10:15 PM
jrs

Default Re: Hogs in Lees

Did you do the surveys with LCC southerner? I seem to remember they did that lake years ago.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:41 PM
Hogs in Lees

Default Hogs in Lees

Jrs,

Yes the studies were done with LCC. I think it was back in 2002 that they were conducted.