Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2014, 06:11 PM

Default 12 hr shift and sick days

Those of you who work 12 hr shifts, can you comment on how many hours a day you get paid for the sick days?
The company I work for pays only 8 hours if you take a sick day. That doesn't seem fair, or legal, for that matter.
Is it, really, legal?
Old 09-22-2014, 06:20 PM

I think its mighty generous that they are willing to pay you anything for time you didn't work.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:21 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I think its mighty generous that they are willing to pay you anything for time you didn't work.
x2!!!!!
Old 09-22-2014, 06:24 PM

Whats a sick day? Never had one.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:25 PM

Works both ways I don't like paying employees who are sick, I do however. Take advantage or start showing up late of leaving early..... Here's your punch card your now hourly, still pull that poop.... See ya.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Well said!!
Old 09-22-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargoni View Post
Those of you who work 12 hr shifts, can you comment on how many hours a day you get paid for the sick days?
The company I work for pays only 8 hours if you take a sick day. That doesn't seem fair, or legal, for that matter.
Is it, really, legal?
As per Alberta Employment standards, no employer needs to pay any sick time...You got 8 hours, be lucky your employer pays anything at all
Old 09-22-2014, 06:42 PM

lol i get paid sick day after 3 days beign sick, till next year (3 year aniversary) then its my first day i get 12hrs.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:42 PM

Sick days???? Must be a govt thing....
Old 09-22-2014, 07:54 PM

Haha I work 12 hour days and if I get sick and can't work I get nada. I can possibly make up the day at a later day but that all depends.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:58 PM

I get unlimited sick days but it does come up at your performance review every year. My feeling is that if you're sick stay home so as not to spread it around. Non paid sick days encourage sick workers to come in, therefore spreading the illness.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:12 PM

Paid sick days encourage cheating the system in my opinion. As a self employed contractor it is up to me to get to work when I'm supposed to work and as a supervisor even if I am sick, I tough it out and get there because I need to be but I am obviously considerate of others and do my best to limit spreading any illness. I get enough "sick" calls in on Saturdays and Sundays... I can't imagine what it would be like if these slackers got paid to be hung over!
Old 09-22-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChevy View Post
Paid sick days encourage cheating the system in my opinion. As a self employed contractor it is up to me to get to work when I'm supposed to work and as a supervisor even if I am sick, I tough it out and get there because I need to be but I am obviously considerate of others and do my best to limit spreading any illness. I get enough "sick" calls in on Saturdays and Sundays... I can't imagine what it would be like if these slackers got paid to be hung over!
Place I'm working at used to pay employees on Thursdays.... Now it's Fridays..... Always worked Fridays with half a crew.... Wasn't fun.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChevy View Post
Non paid sick days promote more sickness in the workplace. Some people can take advantage of it for sure.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:21 PM
Banned

Never had a paid sick day in my life. I get paid when I'm at work, and I don't when I'm not. Just the way I like it.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargoni View Post
Is it, really, legal?
To answer your question, without all of the editorial poop from the great un washed, I get paid sick time at one hour per one hour sick. As for what you get paid, it is the companies right to set the hours and if you are union, you can negotiate something else.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:30 PM

For the turds that abuse the system, I don't care how sick you are I will not pay them. I have heard ever excuse in the book.

With that being said for the guys that don't call in drunk...i mean sick on a regular basis, I will most likley pay them for being absent.

It's probably not right but that's my choice as a manager.

L.S.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:47 PM

The company I work for pays up to 4 sick days every 6 months, so 8 a year. Pretty good if you ask me. Like anything it has it's share of abuse. We curb the abuse a little bit by requiring a doctors note if you want to be paid out a sick day. There are some people who use all if them in a year and then some unpaid days, and some who use none.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:47 PM

some companies have sick days and if you don't use them they pay you out at Christmas shut down, I worked at a company like this no union .

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 09-22-2014, 09:53 PM

okay, I get it: no communists here
I therefore withdraw my question. Did some research: it's not a law but a company's goodwill.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:58 PM

I get paid full pay for any sick days,, but it has been a few years since I actually called in sick.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocpilefsj View Post
We curb the abuse a little bit by requiring a doctors note if you want to be paid out a sick day.
That's kind of cruel, a guys sick with the squirts and instead of laying in bed getting over it has to wait at the doctors all day for a note. No wonder I can't get in when I need to with policies like this.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:20 PM

Paid sick days are becoming the norm. It silly to make sick people come to work. The company I work for has no limit, but they will quickly figure out who abuses it.
It's a non-issue for %98 of the people working, but its that last %2 that screws it up for everyone else.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:16 AM

I've worked for the same restaurant for 3 years, and if I call in sick, they ask who I've gotten to cover my shift. If the answer is nobody, I'm coming in or I'm suspended and on the way out the door.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingtail View Post
That's kind of cruel, a guys sick with the squirts and instead of laying in bed getting over it has to wait at the doctors all day for a note. No wonder I can't get in when I need to with policies like this.
There are some exceptions of course, but it makes guys think twice about using it as a paid day off instead of what it is meant for. You learn pretty quick who the abusers are, only ever "sick" on Mondays or Fridays or the day after pay day.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:45 AM

I worked union construction/maintenance for 30 years no sick time, no paid time off period.
After I started getting old I landed an office job, I get 200 hours paid vacation and 11 paid days off. Nobody knows how many paid sick days we can take, from what I understand if you take to many they let you know.

I never want to work a 7-13's 63 day shutdown again ever!
Old 09-23-2014, 06:56 AM

I get 3 weeks paid vacation. 2 of them are are for christmas shut down.
the other week I can take any time except during june, july or august, it is written in my contract.
5 sick days per year - paid, plus we get to add in a bonus long weekend once a year.

Plus we go to winter hours meaning we work 7 hour shifts and get paid 8 hour days.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:58 AM

I get as many sick days as I need, payed. Only used 3 this year
Old 09-23-2014, 07:27 AM

I used to earn 1 1/2 days sick leave every month.
i used 4 days for sick leave
when i retired i left 122 days with my employer I didn't use.
I was given heck towards the end before my retirement to use them.
I enjoyed my job and never used them.
On the same token there were others that sure used as many as they could.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:45 AM

We get as many as we need I found out recently....in 17 years I have used one, I got the Norwalk virus and didn't know if I should sit or kneel.

Strangely the guy who I work with who told me we have as many days as we want sick...is the guy who is the most sick...

There are times I should have called in sick....but this darn thing called work ethic ruined my fun

LC