Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-31-2011, 10:24 AM
Banned

I just got home yesterday afternoon from spending 5 nites in the campground. Buddy, if I can catch fish, you certainly can too. There's a couple of places around the bridge for day use and you can also fish off the dock at the boat launch. I used a variety of colour jig heads with a minnow. I also even used a spinner with a minnow. Another fellow was using a slip bobber on the other side of the lake. Don't buy your minnows at the grocery store in Stavely, they see you coming. One fellow had brought smelts that he purchased at the grocery store and cut them in 3. Worked too. Ohhh! and there was no sign of a hamburglar.

Watching people at the boat launch can be hilarious. I for one participated in providing entertainment. My wife had backed the boat in the water when I looked back and realized that I forgot to put the plug in. Then on the last day, I got out to the middle of the lake and my outboard died. I started to paddle back to shore, looked back and realized that I forgot to connect the fuel line to the gas tank Go ahead laugh.....I did.
But I sure did have some fun, and caught a lot of fish.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I just got home yesterday afternoon from spending 5 nites in the campground. Buddy, if I can catch fish, you certainly can too. There's a couple of places around the bridge for day use and you can also fish off the dock at the boat launch. I used a variety of colour jig heads with a minnow. I also even used a spinner with a minnow. Another fellow was using a slip bobber on the other side of the lake. Don't buy your minnows at the grocery store in Stavely, they see you coming. One fellow had brought smelts that he purchased at the grocery store and cut them in 3. Worked too. Ohhh! and there was no sign of a hamburglar.

Watching people at the boat launch can be hilarious. I for one participated in providing entertainment. My wife had backed the boat in the water when I looked back and realized that I forgot to put the plug in. Then on the last day, I got out to the middle of the lake and my outboard died. I started to paddle back to shore, looked back and realized that I forgot to connect the fuel line to the gas tank Go ahead laugh.....I did.
But I sure did have some fun, and caught a lot of fish.

Glad you had a great time.....good times when you can laugh at yourself.

hahhahhhahhahahaahahahahahh....hamburglar
Old 07-31-2011, 08:49 PM

whos going tomorrow?????
Old 07-31-2011, 08:57 PM

all you need is a quarter ounce jig any colour , and an inch long piece of smelt. cast it out, when your line moves reel in your fish, toss back, and repeat. and repeat, and repeat. take along a change of underwear for the time a 30 pound pike inhales your walleye whole and breaks your line, use plenty of high SPF sunscreen, and dont try and steal any burgers from a redheaded cane wielding ninja and you will be hunky dory.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 07-31-2011, 08:59 PM

Pine coulee is in ES2 zone which prohits use of biat fish as bait. Bait, except bait fish may be used. So when they made PCR, only smelt one could use. For the last two fishing seasons, they made changes to the regs so that you can now use baitfish (minnows) in PCR.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:23 PM

Last time I was there walleye were hitting jigs with twister tails non stop so I do not even bother getting any kind of minnows or smelts. Less problems, more fun.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:59 PM

Default misunderstood

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
Pine coulee is in ES2 zone which prohits use of biat fish as bait. Bait, except bait fish may be used. So when they made PCR, only smelt one could use. For the last two fishing seasons, they made changes to the regs so that you can now use baitfish (minnows) in PCR.
Pine is in fact in ES1. I know.... rewind ... rewind... rewind. ES1....ES1....ES1
I find it ironic how directions are soooooo easily accessible.. but the regs are still such a mystery!!! .
Old 07-31-2011, 10:06 PM

Right ES1...same thing though really.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:13 PM

ah just bought my lic and see Fishing with Bait Fish (dead) is NOT allowed in ES1 except at the following waters:

•Paine (Mami) Lake

•Lees Lake
•Ghost Reservoir
•Pine Coulee Reservoir
Old 08-01-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitfisher83 View Post
they'll take almost anything but your best bet is a jig head with a smelt or minnow....and to get there just head south on hwy 2 until you see Stavely...instead of turning left into Stavely turn right on the 527 and the Lake is about 6km west of there...
I love your tag line!!!! LOL

We are planning to go there today seadooing so be paitent with us unloading as it takes a couple extra minutes with us cause we are new but it seems everyone is very civil at PCR for the most part. I haven't seen the boater/fisher fights on the dock as everyone talks about but we try to work with everyone as we are boaters and fishers. Hope the line up isn't too bad today
Anyone else going?
Old 08-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugeboy View Post
I love your tag line!!!! LOL

We are planning to go there today seadooing so be paitent with us unloading as it takes a couple extra minutes with us cause we are new but it seems everyone is very civil at PCR for the most part. I haven't seen the boater/fisher fights on the dock as everyone talks about but we try to work with everyone as we are boaters and fishers. Hope the line up isn't too bad today
Anyone else going?
I've heard about some scrapes, but never witnessed any. Even the people with the fast wake boats are pretty civil as I've seen. I was fishing off the right end of the dock and kids were jumping in to cool off on the left side. It had absolutely no effect on how the fish were biting, which was often and regular. Oh BTW, if you snag a black "Roots: lawnchair, it's mine
Old 08-01-2011, 07:32 PM

Ahhh, you stood up and it was windy been there done that, was there today and it was awesome lots of sea dooing and fishing all in all a great day felt bad for one poor guy he just got the boat and the transmission was not locking so he pulled it out and found stripped screws but looked like he knew how to fix it. Was busy but for the most part was all good. One boat really turned up a wake but he didnt know there was a rule and was very apoligetic. Now redder then the traffic light. Seen a guy with a Big Mac and thought mmmmmm that would be tasty but I didnt try to take it as I thought mabye I would be smaked by a hidden cane
Old 08-01-2011, 10:58 PM

luge I was on the dock from around 9-11:30... were you around? Sea dooers were out, and I found a few boats were putting fair size wakes out... only managed 7 eyes, mind you found a youngster who was in need of some bait on our way out, gave him the remainder of my smelts when I left, gave him a basic tutorial he caught one within 2 minutes. His mom seemed quite greatful, think it was his first eye.

There was however, 1 annoying site (not the hamburgler), the lady at the picnic table yelling at her husband to give up, because if you can't keep the fish, its not worth it... than argueing with THREE of us, who knew the regs.. saying we could keep 2.. she really needed a reality check and got it when a fella at the dock informed her what the fines are like.

LET THE KIDS HAVE FUN CATCHING, AND TEACH THEM TO RELEASE

Anyways, my friend also got his first eye today, we both left super happy he got 3 damn cheap smelt kept us from more END RANT
Old 08-02-2011, 01:13 AM

we were out at PCR and there were lots of boats...and peole on the dock.....

I was just out doing a test on my new to me boat......it ran great.......

it even ran good enough to tow in a 30k plus wakeboat....mine is an older vanguard tri haul....

with a 135hp on it.......checking the gas gauge is a good thing lolol

people on the dock were nice....everyone was getting along welll
Old 08-02-2011, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
luge I was on the dock from around 9-11:30... were you around? Sea dooers were out, and I found a few boats were putting fair size wakes out... only managed 7 eyes, mind you found a youngster who was in need of some bait on our way out, gave him the remainder of my smelts when I left, gave him a basic tutorial he caught one within 2 minutes. His mom seemed quite greatful, think it was his first eye.

There was however, 1 annoying site (not the hamburgler), the lady at the picnic table yelling at her husband to give up, because if you can't keep the fish, its not worth it... than argueing with THREE of us, who knew the regs.. saying we could keep 2.. she really needed a reality check and got it when a fella at the dock informed her what the fines are like.

LET THE KIDS HAVE FUN CATCHING, AND TEACH THEM TO RELEASE

Anyways, my friend also got his first eye today, we both left super happy he got 3 damn cheap smelt kept us from more END RANT
We got there around 10:30 with the 2 sea doos kids dog ect.... I think the kitchen sink even came with us.
My wife fished off the right side all day and she said all was calm and collective for the most part. It was a great day, we did see the mom and son fishing in the centre real freindly people. All in all a great day!!!
Hamburgerler, I still wonder how a bum can get out to PCR to ask for change if he dosen't have a car??? We will never know as the RHF has been banned
Old 08-02-2011, 06:22 AM

Good stuff luge, did that young man use my bait wisely, and catch all day?
Old 08-02-2011, 06:46 AM

Wasent us you gave the bait to I think you gave it to the lady with the long black sun dress and her kid. It was a great day, espically when my youngest wasent catching nothing and so I gave him a piece of donair meat off the pizza he had and put it on the hook he said no way not gonna work and before it hit the bottom he had a hit. Ahhh yes PCR the place every kid loves to fish
Old 08-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Banned

Default smelts!

Just got this kilo of smelts, thinkin of hitting PCR tomorrow.

Gonna get my limit in NO TIME!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(6).jpg (67.4 KB, 43 views)
Old 08-03-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Just got this kilo of smelts, thinkin of hitting PCR tomorrow.

Gonna get my limit in NO TIME!!

Haha, no pun intended right? lol
Old 08-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Banned

Default :P

Hehe,

I think it's more of a double entendre.

But ya, you got it Pontiac.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:12 AM

Heading out there for the first time. What are the best times to fish and does the heat make em stop biting?
Old 09-05-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormbox Bass View Post
Heading out there for the first time. What are the best times to fish and does the heat make em stop biting?
If you use bait anytime of day works wonders. Although closer to sunrise seems better when I've been out there.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:24 AM

Thanks, want to get my daughter into some fish. Been getting skunked everywhere we go and she's getting a little discouraged.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:55 AM

Well PCR is the place to go to catch fish. I've caught them on damn near anything in there. if you have minnows they are king, but silver rapalas will get you walleye and pike in there, I've also bagged a pike on one of those yellow jig heads with those weird glowing wiggly tails just slowly dragging it bag into shore.

Like this with the worm tail thing over the hook.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:21 AM

Big green flies work as well...
Old 09-05-2011, 05:13 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
damn cheap smelt kept us from more END RANT
Just curious what you mean by this???
If you mean the smelt were soft/mushy & kept falling off the hook, you should try salting them. Get a big bag of smelt at Superstore or T & T Market- way cheaper than buying the little bags of bait smelt. Layer them in a container with lots of coarse salt(I used Kosher salt, just in case the smelt were Jewish), then throw 'em back in the freezer. The salt will prevent them from freezing solid, but will toughen up the skin a whole bunch. Just cut 'em into 1" chunks, stick a hook in 'em & start catching fish!
If you get tired of your hands stinking like smelt, throw a small Marabou jig under a slip bobber & suspend it just off bottom; I've outfished the baitfishermen with this technique at PCR.

I fish this little jig under an indicator on my fly rod; you can do the same thing on a spincast with a slipbobber set at about 12 ft or so...

Old 09-05-2011, 05:23 PM

Smile lots off fish

i swear i could catch a walleye on a piece off gum at pcr.caught 100 plus fish in 2 hours using everything.( that was legal lol ).was amazed when i tossed out my rainbow countdown to try it out .and on 10 casts caught 10 fish...... great for kids and familys to have fun thats for sure.

best part is my wife thinks im a pro fisherman now .... haha
Old 09-05-2011, 05:46 PM

Was there today down by the bridge on the west side and my wife was hauling in all the fish, I think she got over 30 and between me and our 2 boys we totaled a big whopping 5. But was an awesome day hanging with the fam!!!!!
Old 09-05-2011, 07:05 PM

Had a great day down there. Caught a bunch off the dock, then went over by the bridge and caught a bunch more. Was pretty cool watching my daughter hauling them in, she was pretty excited. Would have been nice to get a few pike but those little walleye were fairly scrappy.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:55 PM

Glad to hear it went well.