Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old 04-18-2018, 12:21 PM
covey ridge's Avatar
covey ridge covey ridge is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: N. E. of High River
Posts: 4,966
Default Crowns role to be fair, not necessarily to win

http://www.edelsonlaw.ca/news/show/46/8/0000/0

Our Courts have repeatedly said that the ideal prosecutor is a “minister of justice” who discharges his or her duty to the court in a fair and objective manner.

It is the Crown’s duty, therefore, not to secure a conviction at all costs, but to ensure that the evidence supporting the prosecution is put fairly before the court. For this reason, it is often said that the Crown never wins or loses.

Moreover, prosecutors are not permitted to express their personal opinions about the guilt or innocence of the accused or to engage in inflammatory rhetoric in the court proceedings. They must carry out their role with solemnity, dignity and professionalism.

Similarly, the Crown ought not to act as an advocate for the victim or the victim’s family. The criminal justice system is not a three-party proceeding and, in general, complainants or their relations have no standing in the criminal process.
  #152  
Old 04-18-2018, 12:25 PM
6.5swedeforelk 6.5swedeforelk is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: N. Canada
Posts: 666
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Regardless of the prosecutors reasoning, he lost the Stanley case AND criminals were not held accountable. He failed in every way.
I disagree.

The evidence won/lost the case.
  #153  
Old 04-18-2018, 12:58 PM
LCCFisherman's Avatar
LCCFisherman LCCFisherman is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 911
Default

Don't like that he can't protect himself and family against vigilantism now...
  #154  
Old 04-18-2018, 01:13 PM
elkhunter11 elkhunter11 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Camrose
Posts: 31,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5swedeforelk View Post
I disagree.

The evidence won/lost the case.
Quote:
This was a jury trial and there is nothing that I have read to indicate that the prosecutor was negligent in any way.

The evidence won the Stanley case, but the prosecutor granted immunity to armed thieves and gained nothing by doing so.
__________________
Only accurate guns are interesting.
  #155  
Old 04-18-2018, 01:27 PM
covey ridge's Avatar
covey ridge covey ridge is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: N. E. of High River
Posts: 4,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The evidence won the Stanley case, but the prosecutor granted immunity to armed thieves and gained nothing by doing so.
Won the case! Lost the case! Which is it? You said both!
  #156  
Old 04-18-2018, 01:32 PM
Talking moose's Avatar
Talking moose Talking moose is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Camrose
Posts: 7,917
Default

Even if the prosecution never granted immunity to the little thugs, the penalty if found guilty would of been laughable. We all know that they weren’t gonna do 5 years in prison..... a slap on the wrist at most. So really...does it matter if they were granted immunity? Not really.
  #157  
Old 04-18-2018, 01:34 PM
elkhunter11 elkhunter11 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Camrose
Posts: 31,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Won the case! Lost the case! Which is it? You said both!
Stanley won a not guilty verdict, because of the evidence, the prosecutor lost the case, and gave up possible prosecutions on the vehicle occupants, in his losing attempt to get Stanley convicted. Even though Stanley won the case, he still lost a great deal.
__________________
Only accurate guns are interesting.
  #158  
Old 04-18-2018, 01:37 PM
Norwest Alta Norwest Alta is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,972
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Even if the prosecution never granted immunity to the little thugs, the penalty if found guilty would of been laughable. We all know that they weren’t gonna do 5 years in prison..... a slap on the wrist at most. So really...does it matter if they were granted immunity? Not really.
True but the principle of the matter comes to mind.
  #159  
Old 04-18-2018, 01:37 PM
elkhunter11 elkhunter11 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Camrose
Posts: 31,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Even if the prosecution never granted immunity to the little thugs, the penalty if found guilty would of been laughable. We all know that they weren’t gonna do 5 years in prison..... a slap on the wrist at most. So really...does it matter if they were granted immunity? Not really.
So are you saying that because of our joke of a legal system, these people should not be charged when they commit criminal acts? So when they commit theft or firearms violations, we should just give them a free pass and ignore their crimes?

Quote:
True but the principle of the matter comes to mind.
If we just ignore their criminal actions, they will just keep living a life of crime, with zero reason to stop.
__________________
Only accurate guns are interesting.
  #160  
Old 04-18-2018, 01:40 PM
Talking moose's Avatar
Talking moose Talking moose is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Camrose
Posts: 7,917
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So are you saying that because of our joke of a legal system, these people should not be charged when they commit criminal acts? So when they commit theft or firearms violations, we should just give them a free pass and ignore their crimes?
Did I say that’s what I think is right? That’s right elk... I never...I said it’s not a huge tragedy they weren’t persecuted because they would have a kindergarten timeout penalty. Thought that was pretty clear. Perhaps not for some.
  #161  
Old 04-18-2018, 01:42 PM
Talking moose's Avatar
Talking moose Talking moose is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Camrose
Posts: 7,917
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post


If we just ignore their criminal actions, they will just keep living a life of crime, with zero reason to stop.
How’s it working so far elk? I mean these little thugs around the province that are charged. No repeat offenders? Bahahaha
Hate to break it to you but criminals have no reason to stop right now.
  #162  
Old 04-18-2018, 01:42 PM
elkhunter11 elkhunter11 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Camrose
Posts: 31,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Did I say that’s what I think is right? That’s right elk... I never...I said it’s not a huge tragedy they weren’t persecuted because they would have a kindergarten timeout penalty. Thought that was pretty clear. Perhaps not for some.
There is a huge difference between persecution, and prosecution.
__________________
Only accurate guns are interesting.
  #163  
Old 04-18-2018, 01:43 PM
Norwest Alta Norwest Alta is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,972
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
He had them hanging all over his walls, in his bedroom, in the basement etc. None of them had trigger locks, none of them were locked up and there was ammunition within reach...

It was pure disregard for the law and anyone storing firearms the same way deserves to have them taken away and be given similar fines and firearm bans...
ALL OVER HIS WALLS? How so? He must of had a lot of guns and not many walls. Got two laying on the bed right now and one on the kitchen island. I guess that must mean they’re all over the bedroom and kitchen? If I went out side to introduce myself to somebody stealing something I guess I would be in the same predicament as Gerald?
  #164  
Old 04-18-2018, 01:57 PM
sns2's Avatar
sns2 sns2 is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: My House
Posts: 6,545
Default

Fellas, this one has been fully discussed and run its course. Too many deleted posts, suspensions, and overall drama.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.