Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-18-2019, 10:55 AM

Default Fly Fishing for Pike - Line type?

I was wanting to give pike fishing a try with my fly rod later this spring once everything is open - I have an 8wt rod / reel combo and regular WF 8wt floating line.

What is the typical line used in Alberta lakes / reservoirs for pike fishing? I was under the impression that a floating line would be most common, but I've been reading a bit more and see that a medium full sink line is also mentioned. Anyone care to share any tips for getting this rod I have set up for toothy critters?

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2019, 11:18 AM

Default Line

I use Rio Pike 8WF. 30 # flouro, and end it with a titanium leader.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:58 AM

The other line you could use is the Rio WF8 F/I Pike/Musky. It has the intermediate sink tip.

But I find the full floating line easier to cast.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:39 PM

If I were to choose only 1 line for fishing pike, it would be an full intermediate line. In early spring, you can get away with a floating line. There is a small window of topwater pike in AB, generally around mid-June to mid-July. An intermediate line will allow you to fish to about 3m. I also have a type5 full sink.
I would say 80% of fishing is with the intermediate, 15% with the floating, and 5% with full sink.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:42 PM

All good info, thank you all.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:52 PM

Default Pike

Most of my pike fishing is early spring, so I use the floating pike line, but I am fishing shallow water, 6-8 ft deep. If I were to fish deeper water, I would switch to an intermediate line. I find for the early cond. the weight of the fly gets me deep enough.and stays out of the weeds.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:00 PM

My favourite is sink tip. I’ll switch to floating if I’m too water fishing
Old 03-18-2019, 06:17 PM

I like the sa Titan taper, floating.
Use that 90perc of time.
9' leader to knot able 30lb.

Stoked for pike season !!
Built a poling platform for boat..Alberta flats boat!
Tried it last season , tough to controll and got sore feet from gripping deck lol
Old 03-18-2019, 06:40 PM

Speaking of the SA Titan Taper, I have a brand new line (in box) in 9wr to sell if someone is interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2019, 08:17 AM

I use the 8wt Rio Pike/Muskie taper (got it for great deal when they cleared the older stock some years ago).

I end that with a short 4-5ft 25lb mono leader, bite tippet is 8-12" of 50lb fluoro.

It VERY different casting that if you are used to trout style lines and flies. You can't aerialize much line without overloading the rod and killing line speed, but its builds a lot of momentum, so load the road and shoot it!

Your floating line will work, you can lengthen leaders with weighted flies or use a sinking leader if need be for more depth.

Last edited by kayaker; 03-19-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:19 PM
Banned

WF rio gold, catch lots of eyes on the same setup as well.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:36 PM

Rio outbound short, in floating, hover, intermediate rates. Intermediate gets the most use. Even in stuff shallower than 4'.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I use the 8wt Rio Pike/Muskie taper (got it for great deal when they cleared the older stock some years ago).

I end that with a short 4-5ft 25lb mono leader, bite tippet is 8-12" of 50lb fluoro.

It VERY different casting that if you are used to trout style lines and flies. You can't aerialize much line without overloading the rod and killing line speed, but its builds a lot of momentum, so load the road and shoot it!

Your floating line will work, you can lengthen leaders with weighted flies or use a sinking leader if need be for more depth.
I too am wanting to try for pike.Question:Tieing on the hook,to the tip.What knot are you using,or are you using a mech connection.thanks
Old 03-19-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
I too am wanting to try for pike.Question:Tieing on the hook,to the tip.What knot are you using,or are you using a mech connection.thanks
The Mustad Fastach clips are my favorite method of attaching flies. Most people I know like to use the Type 2. I use the Type 1. They are also the weakpoint in my leader system. The clip will fail before any of the knots will in the leader system. My rationale for making this the weakpoint is so I minimize the loss of TiNi bite leader.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
The Mustad Fastach clips are my favorite method of attaching flies. Most people I know like to use the Type 2. I use the Type 1. They are also the weakpoint in my leader system. The clip will fail before any of the knots will in the leader system. My rationale for making this the weakpoint is so I minimize the loss of TiNi bite leader.
Scel, what is tiny bite leader ? Also I use 30lb AFW knot able as bite leader. Have always attached flies w Duncan loop.
Have a pack of low profile clips I've always meant to use.
Any thoughts on a knot to tie those little buggers on using the wire ?
Old 03-19-2019, 08:50 PM

Default Pike

Most titanium leaders, have snaps on them to attach the fly
Old 03-20-2019, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleflyfisher View Post
Scel, what is tiny bite leader ? Also I use 30lb AFW knot able as bite leader. Have always attached flies w Duncan loop.
Have a pack of low profile clips I've always meant to use.
Any thoughts on a knot to tie those little buggers on using the wire ?
TiNi = Titanium Nickel The brand is Knot 2 Kinky

Basically everything I know about titanium wire is from this video: https://youtu.be/dgBx0vjr6mg?t=146

I have always used a two-turn uni-knot with titanium wire. With Rio Bite Wire (which is much more knotable), I used a perfection loop.

I think the big tip of getting the clips tied to anything is first attach the clip to a fly/lure of some sort, then just use the knot of your choice.

I have tried loop knots vs straight knots for the clips. I know every says 'loop knots for streamers'. I accidentally lied. The clips I have are these ones They have a swivel, which allows the fly to ride and pitch more naturally.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
For braided or knot-able bite wire or the thicker mono/fluoro I use an arbor knot ('jam knot') just like you use to attach line to a reel spool, which works very well, or a normal swimming loop/rapala knot (on the latter I only use 2 wraps around the standing line, no need for more with wire or thicker mono). Make sure you wet the knot and pull it tight to seat the heavier line.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:16 AM

I have a cortland 555 medium sinking line on my 9wt reel. its a nice line but I hate casting the sinking line and would recommend just getting a good quality floating line and don't over think it. I actually use my 6wt reel and a 6wt line on my 9 weight to fish pike most the time as I'm too cheap to buy another line and it works fine given that all fly fishing purism is pretty well out the window soon as you start chucking chickens at pike. i usually run about 3-6 feet of 15lb maxima to a regular steel leader to a popper pattern. If I'm fishing subsurface I just make the leader longer and use heavier streamers. Late season when they go deep is the only time a full sink line would be worthwhile in my opinion and thats a pretty boring way to fish pike. I usually start with a new steel leader every day I go out and it has to get pretty haggard before I change it. Pike don't care. I have the knottable wire, its not worth the hassle in my opinion. Keep it simple and get a line that is versatile so you can do other things with your pike rod.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
TiNi = Titanium Nickel The brand is Knot 2 Kinky

Basically everything I know about titanium wire is from this video: https://youtu.be/dgBx0vjr6mg?t=146

I have always used a two-turn uni-knot with titanium wire. With Rio Bite Wire (which is much more knotable), I used a perfection loop.

I think the big tip of getting the clips tied to anything is first attach the clip to a fly/lure of some sort, then just use the knot of your choice.

I have tried loop knots vs straight knots for the clips. I know every says 'loop knots for streamers'. I accidentally lied. The clips I have are these ones They have a swivel, which allows the fly to ride and pitch more naturally.
This is gold info those swivels are the cats meow as when your casting large flies the air can turn and snip them, kinking up the bite wire, and adding memory to the fly line that will come out when you are stripping the fly. Also moisten the bite wire when you tighten the knot as it will pig tail the bite wire.
As for line I use Rio Outbound Short it is a shooting line so you only need the weighted part of the line out to cast and shoot the rest. Between leader and bite wire I might only be 5-6 ft.
I have found as there is nothing quite like a top water pike take. Its so aggressive.