Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-09-2024, 07:31 PM

Question Mobile Home on cribbing regulations?

Hey guys, does anyone have any experience with moving a older mobile home and setting it up on blocking with todays building codes, does the age of the trailer grandfather it in? I currently own a 1969 mobile home that's sitting on normal cribbing and hasn't moved or had any issues at all in over 55 years but i recently just bought a new farm and want to move it or another older mobile home to the new farm site but if i'm going to have to mess around with screw piles i might as well buy a new one have them do it. But id rather save alot of money and be able to do everything myself.

Anyone know how i should start this? is it a county question or a provincial question.

All the information i could find was

Quote:
9.15.1.4. Foundations for Deformation Resistant Buildings
1) Where the superstructure of a detached building conforms to the
requirements of the deformation resistance test in CAN/CSA-Z240.2.1., "Structural
Requirements for Mobile Homes," the foundation is permitted to be constructed in
conformance with CSA Z240.10.1. "Site Preparation, Foundation and Anchorage
of Mobile Homes."
Foundations constructed in conformance with CAN/CSA-Z240.10.1. can be used for
manufactured homes (CAN/CSA-A277 and CAN/CSA-Z240) provided the
superstructure of the homes satisfy the criteria of deformation resistance test in
conformance with CAN/CSA-Z240.2.1.
Part 9 is prescriptive for traditional foundation walls on concrete strip footings.
Foundations that are not prescriptively listed in Part 9 of the Alberta Building Code 1997
such as preserved wood, grade beams/piles or screw piles must be designed under
Part 4 and the design/site review must be performed by a Registered Architect or
Professional Engineer licensed to practice in Alberta.
Whatever that means

i tried searching CSA Z240.10.1 but it just wants me to buy a $130 book Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-09-2024, 08:06 PM

Not a mobile home guy but was a modular camp guy so take this all with a grain of salt as I might be way off. Wood cribbing should be totally fine as long as you use 6x6 blocks and ensure the blocks touching the ground are pressure treated, which iirc is code.

However, I would recommend you contact your local county office first, as they should be the authority having jurisdiction for ensuring everything is code compliant, but depending on who you speak with you might not get an answer right away (or have a clue at all). You can also try calling Alberta Municipal Affairs (PM me if you really get stuck, I have a guy who is great to deal with there).

That said, I think if the structure is real old you should be most worried about whether it has all the relevant certifications labelled on it somewhere. Again, may be different for modular homes but on camp shacks if you don't have a clearly labelled CSA sticker (or similar) certifying that all plumbing/gas/electrical is up to code, you likely will be denied the proper permits. Dealt with that a painful number of times now. Don't know if there is anything to grandfather the structure in. Again, good questions for your county office.
Old 03-09-2024, 08:16 PM

Better check with the relevant municipality first , some have age restrictions on mobile homes being moved in. Mountainview does I believe. I've had to re level and fix other issues with homes set on cribbing, frost may not be kind to them .

Isaiah 5:8