Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-25-2012, 06:31 PM

Default Slave Lake Boat Launch - Marten River?

Hey all,

I am headed out to slave lake for the long weekend to the Marten River area about 30 kms north of the town on the east side of the lake and a wondering if there is a near by boat launch that is available to use. Anything in that area...or the provincial campground? If your on that end of the lake where do you launch?

Any help/info would be much appriciated.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:57 PM

last time i stayed there we launched the boat at the river by norms walleye camp and drove it to the campground . the night before we were to leave we decided to drive the boat back and take it out of the lake so we would could just relax the last day . a storm came in that night and the next morning the kids were body surfing on the waves . there is no way we would of gotten the boat out that day .
this was six or seven years ago . there may be a closer launch there now . if your lucky , you'll get a stall that backs onto the creek and can tie your boat up at your campsite .

good luck !
Old 06-25-2012, 07:47 PM

Default Marten River Provincial

I was at the campground on may long, there is no boat launch there. And i would agree that it is a pretty big risk leaving it overnight due to weather.
That campground however is very nice and you will not regret camping there. If you have a aluminum boat that you can hand bomb there is a path to the water without stairs by the amplitheater.

Cheers
Snooch
Old 06-25-2012, 10:42 PM

Awesome campground - Marten River

Last boat launch anywhere near the campsite was the old boat launch at the Diamond Willow campground next to the Matren River site......but that launch washed out and that was back in the early 2000s. I think they tried doing a launch there a cpl times but it washed out both times. Not sure if they even have that Diamond Willow campsite anymore.

We have always launched at norms and then pulled the boat out of the water each night.......ive seen boats swamped in the water on some mornings bc of overnight storms and ppl leaving their boats in the shallow water tied/anchored or even pulled up on the sand/rocky shore.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:25 PM

Appreciate it, thanks

I would deffintley be pulling it out every night due to the witnessing of many swamped boats. about how long of a cruise is it to the camp ground from norms on the water?
Old 06-26-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkataker View Post
Appreciate it, thanks

I would deffintley be pulling it out every night due to the witnessing of many swamped boats. about how long of a cruise is it to the camp ground from norms on the water?
Ya the info above is all correct, no lauch at the provincial campground and i think a sand bar has blown into the martin creek where they used to launch at diamond willow. Not sure if its money and government approval but they cant seem to get the creek dredged....too bad as they really need a launch over there.

Anyways, im guessing from slave launch to marten river campgd would be somewhere in the 20-22 km on water
Old 06-26-2012, 11:09 AM

Like everybody says, the launch at the river is the best. Free and 3 spot to use. Some people beach their boat at night at the campground where we have a seasonal. But i never do it as if the wind start coming from the west you get pretty big white caps on the shore.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Banned

People have been known to pull the boat and trailer to oilman's creek with a quad and launch from there.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:09 PM

Marten river camp ground is not really the ideal place to be if you have a boat is what everyone is tying to say??
Ive got a inflatable and just from looking at some photos of the area there (Ive never been there)dosent seem to be any place I can even park my inflatable without it just kind sitting out in the open aways from the camp sites
Not usually concerned about theft but it always in the back of ones mind.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:05 PM

Marten River isnt the most ideal spot if you have a bot.....but I personally think its the nicest place to camp on slave lake (best privacy, nicest campsite, etc) ......and I think you can pay a nightly fee to keep yur boat in the water on the little docks at norms walleye camp where the public launch is, if you dont want to pull your boat out every night.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:45 AM

Went out and launched it in the river and had no problem. One little shallow spot but it worked great. Fishing is awesome.